Dragons vs Storm, Sat 7.35pm at WIN Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Honest question
With all the love floating around for Paps does anyone honestly think he stops the Dragons tonight scoring 28 points? I don't think so.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:37 pm Few interesting stats

- No forward ran for over 100 metres except for Tom Eisenhuth (104m)
- Munster and Loiero missed 10 tackles combined in that alley
- Hughes 3 try assists 🔥
- Katoa 2 try’s and a try assist
- Warbrick 1st half hat-trick
- 92 % completion rate 👏
- 16 ineffective tackles vs the Dragons 4
Was 100% completion rate at half time.
Munsters tackling is laughably bad, no hit and stick. (Not a new problem)
Forwards are a disgrace to the name.
Really shows how bad Sticky's "it wasn't us" mob were last week .
It's hard to imagine that the coaching staff have any real conviction in believing that we're going far this year. (Gawd I hope I'm wrong)
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:39 pm Honest question
With all the love floating around for Paps does anyone honestly think he stops the Dragons tonight scoring 28 points? I don't think so.
I think Paps wears out teams more defending him, creating more opposition fatigue and better field position for us to defend from.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For all of Meaney’s positives as a runner with ball in hand he’s pretty lackadaisical at fullback defensively. I don’t think he’s the reason we leaked five tries, far from it actually. But I do think his lower effort contributes to us conceding field position and points another fullback just wouldn’t have.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bullucked wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:39 pm Honest question
Yes, I think with Paps there they score a couple of those tries, but not all 5.
The biggest thing we are missing with Meaney at the back is direction and co-ordination! Not a criticism of Nick because he's a different type of player, but something that has historically served us well.

Paps has been a great student of Billy, and has developed into a conductor from the back of the field; directing the defence. Sitting behind the posts back in the day watching Bill orchestrate our defence was a delight and Ryan has learned a lot - still a work in progress, but something we are sorely missing at the moment.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone have a reason why Hunt wasn't sun binned at the end there? Seemed like the most professional foul that's ever been fouled professionally to me.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:26 am Does anyone have a reason why Hunt wasn't sun binned at the end there? Seemed like the most professional foul that's ever been fouled professionally to me.
I’d dare say because the game was over and result was pretty much beyond doubt - not that that’s an excuse?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My favourite part of the rule book is where there is a giant asterisk that states *unless the game is pretty much decided.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

With these cynical late in the game "it doesn't matter now" sinnings, the bin should be made to carry over in to the next game. Don't want to select the said player in the next game, the bin can carry over with another player in the same position.

Now, how to drop poorly performed referees or touchies or bunker officials. Yeah I know, we'd never have any touchies, oh wait, they're just paid spectators these days.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Not a great showing after last week's effort, but getting the win was good
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I'm not sure whatt the stats are but I feel it wasn't as bad as the genersl consensus . Yes, it was dissapointing that St Gorge scored 28 but two tries were 50/50. The Warbrick supposed bobble where the St George player knocked on with his left arm and the earlier bunker decision where , to me, it looked like the ball was rolling which would suggest the St George player did not have control. Add to the score there was three unsucessful conversions.

The completed sets were in the 90% mark and given some of the decisions were somewhat interesting I don't think it was as bad as it seems.

I'm not saying it was good but each game has to be put into context as to who your're playing as well as the oppositions mindset, the mindset of the ref, the conditions as well as how your teamates are playing (e.g. Munster who really didn't have much of an impact)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone else reckon poor Meaney went to Coates at half time and said 'You're the left winger, did you really have to score in the right corner too?' 🤣🤣🤣

Poor guy, it looked almost unkickable from that sideline