Payne Haas

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://t.co/1uvbuzRNnv

Storm are supposedly in for Payne Haas, not sure how I feel about this, he is an unbelievable player and would make a great duo with NAS but I’m not sure who we are going to have to chop to get him on our books, interesting one to follow.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm’s $1m play for Haas in revenge mission six years in the making

The Melbourne Storm are reportedly set to make a play for Broncos superstar Payne Haas in a revenge mission against the club that stole him from them six years ago.

The Courier Mail reported the Storm have met with Haas’ management in a bid to ramp up negotiations with the representative star.

Haas is signed with Brisbane until the end of 2024, but has told the Broncos he will test his value on the open market come November 1 when he is free to negotiate with NRL rivals.

As a 17-year-old, Haas was set with the Storm and had even booked a flight to Melbourne to ink the deal, before then Broncos coach Wayne Bennett phoned him at the airport.

Now the Storm are looking to get one back on their arch rivals, by signing the best forward in the game in Haas.

How the Storm plan to add Haas’ $1 million a season asking price to a roster already paying similar money to Ryan Papenhuyzen, Cameron Munster, Jahrome Hughes and Harry Grant remains to be seen.

The 23-year-old, has scored eight tries in 99 NRL games since his debut in 2018 and has played 11 Origins for NSW and two tests for the Kangaroos.

Haas has been linked to the Bulldogs, Tigers and Dragons, but has said his motivation for his next contract is winning a premiership.

The Broncos are better placed than those three clubs to win a premiership, but the Storm arguably have a better chance given their history of success and star spine.

The Storm see Haas as a potential solution to their player drain in the forwards after Felise Kaufusi and Jesse and Kenny Bromwich left to the Dolphins and Brandon Smith moved to the Roosters last year.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy values hard workers and is a huge fan of Haas’ work rate for a front-rower and believes he is the perfect recruit to build a premiership platform at Melbourne.

The Storm and other NRL clubs are unable to make a formal offer to Haas until November 1, with the Broncos in the box seat to re-sign him given they are his current employer.

The Broncos are reportedly set to offer Haas a three-year extension valued at $1 million a season from 2025 to 2027.

However, the Storm are confident they can be competitive in their offer to Haas.

Nick Meaney, Aaron Pene, Marion Seve and Reimis Smith are all off-contract at the end of next season, when Haas becomes available.

Broncos assistant coach Bryce Cartwright said on Wednesday that Haas will not be distracted from trying to win a premiership for Brisbane in 2023.

“Nothing seems to bother Payne,” Cartwright said on Wednesday.

“He keeps his football totally separate.

“When Payne comes to training, you wouldn’t know what is going on outside of what he needs to do here and that’s one of his strengths.

“He has a steely resolve and that’s all that matters at that point in time.

“All the noise and whatever else is happening around them, it‘s going to look after itself.”
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seeing NAS get gassed lately while he plays big minutes or out on the edge makes me think we don't really need another man mountain. That isn't the future of the league. The future is the likes of Moses Leota and Spencer Leniu, mobile and tough.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nelson gets gassed because he's not a big minutes player. I'm confused why you'd even compare the two. Would also like to know how Haas isn't mobile and tough?
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I personally think it's a ploy to make Brisbane pay throught the nose to retain Haas. He isn't moving, but if we can make them eat their salary cap up and relase players, fine with me.

We have Lazarus Vaalepu (120 kg) coming into the squad next year - so it will add some more weight to the pack.