Round 22 vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:20 pm I just think his kamikaze style of play has finally caught up with his body, he looks busted and unable to play the way he was effective for us, it’s a shame because at his peak I loved watching him more than anyone, but I think this off season we need to find a replacement for that left centre spot, I can’t see him ever getting back to the level he was at unfortunately that broken arm seems to have destroyed his confidence and ability.

Any word on what’s happened to NAS in regards to a new injury Sally?
Pretty sure broke a finger pretty bad
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Black Dot wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:34 pm
nacho wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:39 pm Glad the courageous call has been made. Hope it builds Olam rather than defeats him.

I haven't seen a less intimidating centre combo in recent history, Penisini and Blake licking their lips. Have just remortgaged the house on a same game multi, Young T to score, let in a try and get sin binned all within the 1st half.
I was thinking in the same set of six.
This is Rugba League at its finest.
Happy rugby league to you and your familes! :-D
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I’ll take Young T anyday over the way Olam is playing lately, it’s not like it’s just an off game or just one part of his game that needs tidying up, he is dreadful across the board, 1 try assist all year, how can a centre only put their winger over for 1 try all year? He can’t run anymore guy looks gassed 5 minutes into the game, he misreads defence, all of a sudden he is lazy, some of those jersey grabs on the weekend were pathetic, he can barely play the ball correctly most the time, I’m shocked it took CB this long to drop him, we have had next to no production from our centres all year as Riemis has only really been slightly better, I’m excited to see what Seve and Young can bring to the squad, as the old saying goes, can’t be any worse.

We will have to either go to market for a new centre next year or manufacture one, I still think Warbrick has the build and traits to do well there. Howarth another obvious candidate, I actually think Seve looked really good there in a few games this year, shame he got injured but unfortunately I think we have seen Olam in purple for the last time, he just isn’t first grade material anymore and to be blunt it’s one of the worst declines in form I’ve ever seen from a great player, he was the prime centre in the competition a few years ago and now he is just busted, such a shame.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The issue with both Seve and Young is you don't want to be caught out playing them any longer than you should. Young gets caught trying to do too much and then makes errors trying to make up for it. Seve isn't as rocks or diamonds as Young and will honestly give you more effort but gets caught out talent wise. Getting more than 1-2 weeks out of them should be seen as a blessing. Can't ask for more than that.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chris Lewis, Aaron Pene and Jayden Nikorima drop out of squad.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yay... more of the same then.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m so not looking forward to this game …everything in my body is telling me we are getting smashed sigh
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:16 am I’m so not looking forward to this game …everything in my body is telling me we are getting smashed sigh
and when we win Sally .....? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:39 pm I’ll take Young T anyday over the way Olam is playing lately, it’s not like it’s just an off game or just one part of his game that needs tidying up, he is dreadful across the board, 1 try assist all year, how can a centre only put their winger over for 1 try all year? He can’t run anymore guy looks gassed 5 minutes into the game, he misreads defence, all of a sudden he is lazy, some of those jersey grabs on the weekend were pathetic, he can barely play the ball correctly most the time, I’m shocked it took CB this long to drop him, we have had next to no production from our centres all year as Riemis has only really been slightly better, I’m excited to see what Seve and Young can bring to the squad, as the old saying goes, can’t be any worse.

We will have to either go to market for a new centre next year or manufacture one, I still think Warbrick has the build and traits to do well there. Howarth another obvious candidate, I actually think Seve looked really good there in a few games this year, shame he got injured but unfortunately I think we have seen Olam in purple for the last time, he just isn’t first grade material anymore and to be blunt it’s one of the worst declines in form I’ve ever seen from a great player, he was the prime centre in the competition a few years ago and now he is just busted, such a shame.
Olam is a victim of changes really, you put him on the field with Kenny on his inside (in career best form) and JAC (in career best form) with the likes of Munster feeding him ball, with BSmith and Grant delivering fro the ruck and most players would look elite. I will however agree that his runs, lines, impact and energy were all far greater - I would say all of those traits have suffered due to lack of confidence.

We always knew with turnover the tide would go out and we would see who is caught without a bathing suit.

On Warbrick, you are right re: his ability to be a great Center. However, I'd say that he is a through and through finisher and as a Winger he has done exceptional and would take a really strong player to push him from Wing to Center... or Howarth experiment fails and we move Warbrick.

What I do hope is that when Paps returns we dont just put Meany to wing and Warbrick to Centre.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Meaney should be centre. He's got experience defending at 5/8 and he can provide good passes for his winger. Plus his speed and goalkicking are weapons.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I see that the clown is refereeing tonight's match. I'm sure he'll do his best to help out the NSW team on the field. Also, I hope tonight we play for a full 80 minutes and not get ahead and give up like we did last week and against the Panthers.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Confirmed bench:
15. Alec MacDonald
16. Eliesa Katoa
17. Tyran Wishart
20. Tepai Moeroa
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Remember when we used to have the slightest idea how to defend? Those were the days.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No urgency from Meaney to get over and help in defence for that try. Great start.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Wtf was that challenge all about, talk about a lack of confidence in your ability to defend