Round 22 vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone is better than Sims
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As others have said Tepai Moeroa and Eliesa Katoa were great. Have always been a fan of Tepai, hopefully he can stay fit.

Seve was awesome and Young Tonumaipea was good too. Shame Young got injured, he is closing in on 50 games for the Storm (last night was game 48).

Is the 6 again rule, the one rule in any sport that is open to the most inconsistency / potential rorting? Referees just call it when they feel like it. Because the play doesn't stop there is no scrutiny from the media and no ability to replay incident to see if it was justified. 6 agains in 2nd half seemed to be all one way traffic even though Parra were lying in the ruck heaps too.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A way better result than expected, pretty happy with the turn around after last week's poor showing.

As others have said, tepai looked good as did katoa. Seve has some serious muscle going on, given his performance last night, maybe he's a more realistic long term option for center than many of us thought.

Klein did what he does best, I'm not sure how a guy with such inconsistency in his calls and enforcement of the rules is deemed the premier ref in the game. His attitude is crap and he loves making his presence felt in a game, which is not what you need from an official.

Defence is still not where it needs to be, parra's poor execution probably helped keep the scoring from them down. Those two tries through the middle were pretty soft.

Next week's going to be the real test of how much we've turned it around
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Klown shows exactly why you don't let the clown be the ringmaster
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:55 pm
TC wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:35 pm Clown doing his damndest to bring the Eels back into the game.
I am shocked, TC. :-D
Thought you might be. :lol:
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:31 am A way better result than expected, pretty happy with the turn around after last week's poor showing.

As others have said, tepai looked good as did katoa. Seve has some serious muscle going on, given his performance last night, maybe he's a more realistic long term option for center than many of us thought.

Klein did what he does best, I'm not sure how a guy with such inconsistency in his calls and enforcement of the rules is deemed the premier ref in the game. His attitude is crap and he loves making his presence felt in a game, which is not what you need from an official.

Defence is still not where it needs to be, parra's poor execution probably helped keep the scoring from them down. Those two tries through the middle were pretty soft.

Next week's going to be the real test of how much we've turned it around
Although I agree with Seve and Tepai as better options over Sims and Olam, both have had regular injury issues. IMHO, both deserve to keep their spot in the team. I'm also interested in how other smarter opinions of how Young went last night.

The thing with Klein , is last nights performance is exactly what you get every time. Nothing should surprise you.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't know if I'm a smarter opinion, but I thought Young held his own. Did his job defensively. Put his winger away down the sideline once. Made the hard metres coming out of our end. Did enough.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Watched the replay. I was amazed to realise that all 4 of Hughes' try assists were on the last tackle. Also noticed that Grant's 2nd try, Hughes' try and Katoa's try were all off the back of a run by Seve where he got a quick play the ball. Munster's try was off the back of MacDonald landing on his front for the quick play the ball too. And King got his off the back of Moeroa doing the same.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great observations, Mattpoet.

Also great work Newcastle - defeating the Raiders. We are a game clear in 4th now.

Although, our match in 2 weeks v Raiders will be very important.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

With Young presumably out with a hammy next week, instead of bringing Justin Olam back after one week, what about Tom Eisenhuth at left centre, Ellie Katoa back into the starting line up in the second row ? In Olam’s current form I would be worried that Stephen Crichton would carve him up. Tom will be strong defensively but would he be too slow ?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is there a reason not to try Jennings instead?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Kane Bradley IMO
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:34 pm Is there a reason not to try Jennings instead?
+1... I am at a loss as to why he was not included already ahead of Young.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jennings has never played a first grade game in the centres and it has been over three years since he did it in reserve grade.

I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t be able to handle it even for just a game.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:56 pmKane Bradley IMO
Yes.