Melbourne Storm vs Penrith Panthers - Round 18 - Friday 30/6/23 - Marvel Stadium - 8pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At least there’s always next week to come out and play better

Ah shit we have a bye
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:34 pm As much as it wasn’t Bellamy’s fault I really would like to know how he thought things would go after the initial burst? Penrith are the fittest and well drilled footy sides possibly ever and we started Tariq Sims and had two backup utility hookers on the bench.

We’re not really a team who can get into an 80 minute grind anymore and we don’t have the outside backs to break open a game either.

I generally thought our fwds were on par with Penriths in the first half (haven't checked the run metre stats though).

Penrith's backline slaughtered us in the second half though.

End of story.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:58 am
blazza18 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:34 pm As much as it wasn’t Bellamy’s fault I really would like to know how he thought things would go after the initial burst? Penrith are the fittest and well drilled footy sides possibly ever and we started Tariq Sims and had two backup utility hookers on the bench.

We’re not really a team who can get into an 80 minute grind anymore and we don’t have the outside backs to break open a game either.

I generally thought our fwds were on par with Penriths in the first half (haven't checked the run metre stats though).

Penrith's backline slaughtered us in the second half though.

End of story.
Would love to know the splits of first 30/last 50 because I think all the starters and Tui did extremely well in their first stints. Unfortunately for us it took way too much out of us and we had no one else on the bench to provide any impact.

And agree the other story of the game was our backline being completely outplayed by their counterparts.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:47 pm Paps can’t come back soon enough.
I would much prefer Paps coming back in round one of the 2024 season, give him a full pre-season and he should be 100% right. Too bigger risk of him coming back during the 2023 and re-injuring himself.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I see Tago got fined for his shoulder charge on Hughes. Should have been a penalty to us just before half time. We would have taken shot at goal and likely take a 16 -10 lead into half time instead a 16-14 deficit. Would have stopped some of Penrith's momentum going into half time.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While I agree the last 50 minutes were horrible, it is not all doom and gloom. We are still currently in 4th spot and as we have the bye will still be in 4th at the end of round 19.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Never undertsand Wishart's inclusion. Garlick is a better Hooker, Pezet a better half so why Wishart! They should have stuck with an outside back that could cover, Wishart is too small and slow. He was not too blame but against Penrith he was a poor sub to pick.

Just as an asside, am I the only one wh notices how tight Penrith's uniform are, they are tailored fro every player and extremely hard to get a grip on, that adds to their attack.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Frustrating game for sure. Came out of the blocks firing, looked like world beaters and then completely shat the bed. The lack of consistency is probably the most frustrating thing about the storm this year, we keep seeing glimpses here and there of how good a side they can be, only to then be shown some of the worst performances in years.

Hopefully we can get into a bit of form post origin and carry it through to the finals, it's been a topsy turvey enough season that despite storm not being in great form, there's still a very real chance of a top four finish.

I'm glad this is the last bye, not a fan of 3 byes in a season, does nothing for continuity and seems to negatively impact the rhythm of a number of sides, us included.