Papi is back!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I feel really sorry for Meaney knowing that at some time a tap on the shoulder is coming. He might not be as brilliant as Paps but I'd have him over three quarters of the other full backs running around.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The tap on the shoulder probably won’t be this season and to be fair he didn’t sign with the club to be fullback anyway. He’s fortunate he’s gotten the exposure there coming to the club.

Depending on if you want to count injured dudes or not but I think Meaney is probably somewhere like the 8th or 9th best fullback for me.

One thing I won’t miss when he’s playing in another position is his effort as our last line of defence. He gives up on a play way more than he should.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

In my opinion, due to where we are in the season, Meaney will see out the season at Full back.

My reasoning is that 1.He still has to get match fitness back so maybe two weeks (round 23,24)
2. based on previous times, Paps takes at least two matches to get his timing. (round 25,26)
3. Which leaves one game before finals . Is it really enough.

I've written before that I can see the 14 Jumper shared between Meaney and Paps suggesting that Meaney will be named at 1 but highly unlikely to do a full 80 mins at the position.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We all make an assumption that Paps will come back at the level (mentally and physically) as he left off. Assumimg that all goes well and as per the "Black Dot's" appraisal.

The way I would do it would have Paps com back for the last 10 minutes of matches (after QLD cup) and move Meaney to OLAM's spot - Meaney would make a good centre as he has speed, good vision and a good defender.

I would also leave the goal kicking to Meaney as he is about the 2nd highest point scored in the NRL and deserves the points.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Two sad things (purely IMO);
1. We can’t win a Premiership with Meaney at the back.
2. I don’t think Paps will be an 80min FB for us in 2023.

:(
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:48 pmI think Meaney is probably somewhere like the 8th or 9th best fullback for me.
Even 8th/9th feels very generous.

Is he better than any of these?
Walsh
Tedesco
Ponga
Hammer
Drinkwater
Trbojevic
Mitchell
Brimson
Edwards
Bula
Gutherson
CNK

Probably better than;
Kris
Kennedy
Averillo
Sloan

That puts him around 13th IMO.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The fullback position is stacked
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Without knowing what Meaney earns, you would imagine he outplays his contract in terms of value added.
Good sides are built on players outperforming their contracts.
With that said it’s too late in the season to try reintroducing Paps to full back. We made that mistake a couple years ago when Nicho Hynes was pushed out with the same goal. That turned out to be a very bad move.
Either Paps plays from the bench in an impact role like he did when he first got an opportunity years ago or he won’t play for me this year.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen is officially back in Q Cup this week according to the Storm website
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Fantastic news.

Just in case Nick Meaney or his friends read this forum, I think it is worth saying that he has been a wonderful acquisition to the Storm. He came as an outside back , at what I assume is a relatively modest salary and has had to cover in the halves and at fullback , as well as taking up the goalkicking duties. He has handled all roles admirably. I am sure he would be the first to admit that we will be a far better team with a fit Paps at fullback . However , if every player in our squad is fully fit, Nick is in our best 17.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well said, he'll poll well in our player of the year award this year too.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

PAPS IS OFFICIALLY BACK

named at fullback for the falcons

I’m heading up for the game …can’t wait
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:26 pm Fantastic news.

Just in case Nick Meaney or his friends read this forum, I think it is worth saying that he has been a wonderful acquisition to the Storm. He came as an outside back , at what I assume is a relatively modest salary and has had to cover in the halves and at fullback , as well as taking up the goalkicking duties. He has handled all roles admirably. I am sure he would be the first to admit that we will be a far better team with a fit Paps at fullback . However , if every player in our squad is fully fit, Nick is in our best 17.
Agreed. Well said. I’ve loved having Nick at Storm. A decent footballer all things considered and seems like a genuinely ripping bloke. I hope he sees out the rest of a very successful career at Melbourne Storm.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently playing 40/60 minutes this week 60/70 next week
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:43 pm
blazza18 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:48 pmI think Meaney is probably somewhere like the 8th or 9th best fullback for me.
Even 8th/9th feels very generous.

Is he better than any of these?
Walsh
Tedesco
Ponga
Hammer
Drinkwater
Trbojevic
Mitchell
Brimson
Edwards
Bula
Gutherson
CNK

Probably better than;
Kris
Kennedy
Averillo
Sloan

That puts him around 13th IMO.
I think he's performed well for us and we've more than got our money's worth. Good fullback, solid team player and our best fit goal kicker.

This year he's been consistently better than Tedesco.
More solid than Brimson.
On the field about 4 times as much as Trbojevic. And twice as much as Mitchell.
Not subject to the brain explosions of CNK and Bula.
Been caught 'drunk' in hotel toilets less than Ponga (and less of a worry with head knocks).
Significantly less ugly than a shaven headed Gutherson.

We've got problems in the backline no doubt, but they don't start with Nick.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately