Round 14 Cowboys v Storm Sun 4 June

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy with no answers for our issues again in the post game presser.

I genuinely wonder why he still wants to coach.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:47 pm Bellamy with no answers for our issues again in the post game presser.

I genuinely wonder why he still wants to coach.
Coaching is not so easy when the team isn't stacked with stars.
Honestly, 50 against would've sat fine with me. Attack was shite, defence, Bellamy's favourite area was clearly terrible. Same suspects and same results. So much love for Munster in attack, in defence he ALWAYS comes out of the line. Centres and wingers rushing in to shut down because the rest of the team have not moved across. Josh "The cheap suit" King spends more time on blokes than a hookers blanket and I find it utterly amazing he gets penalised as infrequently as he does.

Tigers must be licking their lips in two weeks time. (Who wants to go up to Campbelltown with me? :lol: )
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Bloody awful…lost 2nd half 31-6

Dire defence and not much better in attack.

Bellamy will say it’s about effort and care but the reality is that the team is sliding to mid table mediocrity without some major changes

I would change the skipper. Love Welchy but he’s offered nothing this year. Give it to Munster our only game changer now
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

To further my 'it's a weird old season' comment, Dragons very nearly had the panthers. A bad call on a knock back leading to a panthers try and an obstruction call against the Dragons could have seen the reigning premiers and pretty well backed bet for the threepeat going down to a coachless rabble.

This seasons alot closer than the last few, seems like nearly any team can get up on the day.

Doesn't excuse our poor performance, but it does highlight just how uncertain any game is at this point
big_m
Squall
Squall

Very dissapointing effort in defense. when is the last time over 30 points got put on us in a single half.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Defence definitely seems to be the problem, 20 points used to be more than enough for us to defeat an average team but we just can’t hold our line, and it’s the same thing every time our edges are just a mess, Warbrick does the best he can with what he has but usually has to follow his centre in, but Reimis, Hughes, Trent, Munster, Olam and Coates have all developed this kamikaze style rush all in jam defence, so many times today if we just held our shape and marked up we would have been fine, that one from Coates right after half time the worst of the bunch, had them convered easy and he tried to intercept a ball on tackle 5 when they had no overlap and gifted them a try, just dumb lazy defence and if we don’t get that right won’t matter if Paps comes back, Bellamy needs to get these guys back to basics on the paddock, hold the ball run harder keep your shape don’t panic in defence, they honestly play like a pub team these days there’s no leadership and no one seems particularly bothered by how poor we’ve been, Bellamy has never seen anything like this lack of effort in all his years so let’s see how good of a man motivator he really is because if that game didn’t embarrass them into a tide changing team nothing will. Still in shock honestly that was SO poor 😭
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We've won 13 and lost 12 since last years round 13 bye and since Paps got injured against the Dragons we're 14 wins, 14 loses.

What do we think is the reason for the clubs drop off into mediocrity?
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think no one has been held responsible for any poor performances this season, in the past it was a privilege to play for this club and if you were 💩 you got dropped, now as you said we accept mediocrity with no repercussions, if Sua, Seve, Jennings, Howarth, Sims, Eisenhuth, Chan, Grant, Vaalepu, Lewis, Nikorima etc aren’t getting serious consideration for the top squad this week then I don’t know what to say, Bellamy sticks with the same players gets the same awful results and then asks “I’m not sure what’s wrong”
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Here’s our best 17 of guys that didn’t play yesterday just let that sink in for a moment ..

1. Papenhuyzen
2. Fa’alogo
3. Tounimaipea
4. Seve
5. Jennings
6. Nikorima
7. Pezet
8. Vaaleepu
9. Wishart
10. Grant
11. Chan
12. Eisenhuth
13. Sims

14. Howarth
15. Lewis
16. Moeroa
17. MacDonald

These guys would have done a better job yesterday 💯
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So after so much "robust" discussion after the dismal match, including lots of "people have to be dropped" comments, just who faces the chop. I can't see 1,6,7 and 9 being dropped nor NAS, Welch and Tui. Katoa didn't really have such a bad game nor did Warbrick. I'm not sure whether Olam has to do the 11 day time period and if you're not changing the second rowers, you're making Coates the whipping boy of the loss along with the bench.

So that said, who stays and who get's dropped? IMHO, I can't see much change with the starting 13.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We're 7w-5l this season, which isn't great, but it's actually not that bad when taken in context with the rest of the competition. Only 2 teams currently have fewer losses, and they've both lost 4. It's a tight contest this year, I don't see it likely that any sides are going to go on massive undefeated streaks this year like there has been in the last few seasons

As for our defence, I thought we've been really brittle this season , only to find out post match , that going into yesterday's game we were ranked 2nd for defence (cows were running last). I think whats happening is the vlandys ball changes are having their desired effect, more tries, even against the the sides that are renowned defensively.

I'm prepared to call yesterday an aberration, more than a sign that the side is cooked. We had a pretty unsettled season injury wise last year, a fair player turnover in the off-season and a bit of a run with injury earlier this season. That has a big effect on cohesion and combinations.

I don't think mass changes is the answer, but there are definitely a couple of players that need to be put on warning, and it needs to be followed up if they don't lift.

Unfortunately, we looked like we went in thinking the cows were a spent force, and they came out and played to save their season.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:02 pm So after so much "robust" discussion after the dismal match, including lots of "people have to be dropped" comments, just who faces the chop. I can't see 1,6,7 and 9 being dropped nor NAS, Welch and Tui. Katoa didn't really have such a bad game nor did Warbrick. I'm not sure whether Olam has to do the 11 day time period and if you're not changing the second rowers, you're making Coates the whipping boy of the loss along with the bench.

So that said, who stays and who get's dropped? IMHO, I can't see much change with the starting 13.
Would depend on what kind of message you want to get across the playing group. I think Hughes, Reimis, Welch, King, Nelson, Loiero, Harry, Coates and Olam all deserve a kick up the ass. Realistically given the status of a few of those guys I can only see Trent getting the tap on his shoulder and even then I think Bellamy is too stubborn to do it.

(Roughly) Keeping the same 13 every week hasn't proved to be the right answer so something different should happen. Players aren't earning the jersey.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

On Sunday we looked like we were on Valentine Holmes watch and their forwards just ran riot.
Our plan, as mentioned by the commentators (and seemingly worked when we held the ball) was to go wide, and it did work, the old days of going up the middle and kicking are in the distant past. Has Craig decided he doesn't have the team for this any more?

A bit of mongrel in the forwards would be very nice

Defenders moving up in a straight line is really easy to achieve, staggered defence is diabolical and we got pulled apart

Team working harder in sliding outwards from the middle of the field

Defenders NOT being left behind the play the ball would also be great (an absolute pet hate of mine)

Trent seems to be the whipping boy but I feel Josh King needs to be brought in to the conversation
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yeah good call. King started last year really well and faded badly, he is doing it again.

Not sure if its a fitness thing or a mindset thing but it is becoming a pattern.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Time to unleash Valeepu