Storm re join NSW cup …North Sydney Bears

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 34f3c35b10

The North Sydney Bears will feed to the Melbourne Storm in 2024 after striking up a partnership with the powerhouse club.

The Bears announced the new two-year deal at North Sydney Oval on Tuesday afternoon by the Bears’ CEO Gareth Holmes, Storm CEO Justin Rodski and the Storm’s general manager of football Frank Ponissi.

Throughout the two-year deal, Storm players will now be divided between three feeder clubs — the Bears in New South Wales Cup, as well as Queensland Cup sides Sunshine Coast Falcons and Brisbane Easts.

It comes as the Bears’ five-year partnership with the Roosters finishes up at the end of the season.

The Roosters entered their own side into NSW Cup this season and will go forward with that.

The Storm’s deal with the Bears gives the club access to some of the strongest — and most consistent — players in NSW Cup.

The Bears have become renowned for recruiting some of the best players on offer in NSW Cup and a number of those that sign on or recommit for 2024 will be given the opportunity to train with the Storm once the deal commences, on November 1.

“The partnership announcement today reinforces the fact that the Bears are not only a respected rugby league brand but a sought-after development route for NRL players,” Holmes said.

We have a been feeder club for the Roosters, Rabbitohs and now the Storm, all successful NRL clubs who have trusted us to prepare players for their NRL programs”

“Our strong heritage aligned to our own pathway from Harold Matthews to the NSW Cup is strengthened further by this partnership giving our players a defined route to the NRL.”

The Storm “jumped” at the opportunity to link up with the Bears and are hoping to use the facilities at North Sydney Oval when travelling to NSW for away games.

We were always interested in having a stronger connection with NSW Rugby League given the number of players we have on our list from the state, so when this opportunity was presented, we jumped at it,” Ponissi said.

“From next season, we will have an even greater connection with NSW through the Bears, offering a genuine pathway for players to come to Melbourne Storm.

We also think this partnership will be great for supporters of both clubs living in NSW as they can watch NRL players in the NSW Cup each week and we also see North Sydney Oval becoming a base for the Storm for some of our away trips.”

The Bears sit at the top of the NSW Cup ladder after 11 rounds.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hmmm

Still not sure how to feel about this

On one hand I have been noticing a lot of actual Tigers and Falcons player having to play for their reserve to accommodate the storm players so this would help get them back into the team
But on the other hand I don’t want to lose the connection with the falcons or tigers either

We left nsw cup for a reason but it seem coming back now is a good time for the club

SGBall Jersey flegg and nsw cup possibly Harold Matt’s and womens in NSW
2 reserves teams in QLD cup

What is everyone else’s thought
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm wondering if the connection to North Sydney means there's a possible disconnection coming up with the Tigers due to their desire to be the 18th NRL team.

Possible things in the Tigers back rooms that we, as fans, are not privy too?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:19 pm I'm wondering if the connection to North Sydney means there's a possible disconnection coming up with the Tigers due to their desire to be the 18th NRL team.

Possible things in the Tigers back rooms that we, as fans, are not privy too?
Possibly but the partnership for all 3 clubs doesn’t run out till 25 so for the next 2 years we have e 3 reserve teams
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'd love to go it alone and ditch all 3 sides, tbh. Not sure how long until that is viable - possibly at the end of this contract in 2026? How long are we signed with Tigers and Falcons?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can't see that happening unless every club has to (a national reserves competition being the only likely way), the same as why AFL clubs don't tend to do it anymore either
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

Lucas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:17 pm I'd love to go it alone and ditch all 3 sides, tbh. Not sure how long until that is viable - possibly at the end of this contract in 2026? How long are we signed with Tigers and Falcons?
Do you mean have a Storm team in the NSW or Qld Cups?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We are signed up with all 3 till end of 2025
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Stormhunter wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:54 pm
Lucas wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:17 pm I'd love to go it alone and ditch all 3 sides, tbh. Not sure how long until that is viable - possibly at the end of this contract in 2026? How long are we signed with Tigers and Falcons?
Do you mean have a Storm team in the NSW or Qld Cups?
Yes.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just for arguments sake, assuming our best 17 is the following: Meaney Coates Olam Smith Warbrick Munster Hughes Welch Grant NAS Katoa Loeiro King Paps Eisenhuth Tui Pene

Meaning our feeder side could be something like:
1 - Sua
2 - Jennings
3 - Seve
4 - Anderson
5 - Young T
6 - Nikorima
7 - Pezet
8 - Macdonald
9 - Wishart
10 - Sims
11 - Chan
12 - Howarth
13 - Garlick

14 - Moeroa
15 - Grant
16 - Bradley
17 - Powell

Not bad eh. I mean obviously there would be injuries and 18th men and travelling emergencies, but it isn't fanciful to think we could put out a side that looks a little like this. I haven't even resorted to using our 'academy 12' who play Flegg. It would surely be adventageous to have guys playing together all the time, rather than spread across 3 different sides. Especially in the spine.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:05 pm Hmmm

Still not sure how to feel about this

On one hand I have been noticing a lot of actual Tigers and Falcons player having to play for their reserve to accommodate the storm players so this would help get them back into the team
But on the other hand I don’t want to lose the connection with the falcons or tigers either

We left nsw cup for a reason but it seem coming back now is a good time for the club

SGBall Jersey flegg and nsw cup possibly Harold Matt’s and womens in NSW
2 reserves teams in QLD cup

What is everyone else’s thought
I felt that way when we parted company with North's Devils
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My first thought with this is that initially it might be good for us for depth, but we'll just end up giving some talented young NSW players their first crack at NRL, we'll make them better players that attract the attention of other NRL clubs, and then they'll just leave and head back closer to home to a NSW-based NRL club (probably the Roosters, Rabbits or Manly).
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm and Falcon extended their partnership to 2027

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... for-storm/
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

They had to extend to keep the Dolphin$ away.