2024 Squad

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Fantastic news with big NAS staying on for 4 more years!! I’m well aware next season and beyond isn’t really on people’s radar but I was quite shocked to see how much of our squad is signed up for 2024, currently this is our signed on squad:

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Nick Meaney
3. Reimis Smith
4. Justin Olam
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
9. Harry Grant
10. Christian Welch (c)
11. Elisea Katoa
12. Trent Loiero
13. Josh King
14. Sua Fa’alogo
15. Lazarus Vaalepu
16. Jack Howarth
17. Joe Chan
18. Tom Eisenhuth
19. Tui Kamikamika
20. Alec MacDonald
21. Aaron Pene
22. Jonah Pezet
23. Tyran Wishart
24. Marion Seve

With the following current players off contract this year:

Grant Anderson, Cole Geyer, Jordan Grant, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Tepai Moeroa, Jayden Nikorima, Tariq Sims, Will Warbrick, Bronson Garlick

Now I was curious, it’s a pretty solid 24 players we have locked up out of the top 30 required, what moves do you think we should make as a club? Who should we re-sign out of the off contract bunch? Should we go to market for a player or 2? Not knowing our cap situation makes it tough but personally I would give Warbrick, Moeroa & Garlick contracts and I would personally fill the other 3 spots with current NRL off contract players Emre Guler from the Raiders, Lachlan Fitzgibbon from the Knights & Soni Luke from the Penrith Panthers. I think this would give us some help in key areas and give us a really well rounded side, thoughts?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta keep Bronson
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

How are our young academy guys playing Jersey Flegg going, Sal? ALX22? Any of those guys ready to step up to first grade or at least the top 30 squad?

Tend to agree with your retain list. I imagine Sims, Grant and Moeroa are probably fighting for 1 spot. Ditto Anderson, Jennings and Ieremia. With the other spots going to bringing in fresh talent.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:17 am Gotta keep Bronson
+1.

Decent, no nonsense type of footballer
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like he's ready for a big game if you ask me, there's a bit of confidence in his runs now, like he feels like he belongs. In the next 2-3 weeks, I can see him having a big one.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Agree, Garlick should hold down that 14 jumper for the foreseeable future. Any off contract players you guys think would be a nice fit from other NRL clubs?
CJB_1188
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We need another top tier middle forward. Not sure who’s available though..
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wiremu Grieg and Fletcher Baker are the value option props off contract IMO.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Another top tier middle forward that continuously bends the line with aggression should be our number target.

I like the look of Lazarus Vaalepu so far, if he continues to develop his game he could be a great addition on the bench.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I actually don’t mind Jack Johns for a bargain buy. Got an error in him, but runs hard and off contract at end of the year.

Someone’s also got to be squeezed out at the Bunnies for Wighton - Liam Knight is off contract could be a good fit, probably doesn’t bend enough backs on his runs though.

Matt Lodge at the Roosters? Seems to finally be getting his head right. Runs hard and still has that mongrel, but more controlled.

I’m also not anti putting Trent Loiero in the front row and bringing in a hard running second rower. He actually plays alright at Prop.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 pm Matt Lodge at the Roosters? Seems to finally be getting his head right. Runs hard and still has that mongrel, but more controlled.
Absolutely NOT! He would never be welcomed back here, thankfully! [-(
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 pm
Matt Lodge at the Roosters? Seems to finally be getting his head right. Runs hard and still has that mongrel, but more controlled.
HELLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOO

IF HE COMES I GO
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 am
Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:17 pm Matt Lodge at the Roosters? Seems to finally be getting his head right. Runs hard and still has that mongrel, but more controlled.
Absolutely NOT! He would never be welcomed back here, thankfully! [-(
There’s some things the Club should do to win a Premiership.

Bringing Lodge back to the Club isn’t one of them.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree, Lodge can stay far away from our club
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just before Lodge left Storm there was a rumour of an unnamed forward offering to take an issue outside with one of the coaches - his exit of the club and the spiralling behavioural issues may be more than a coincidence.