Round 5 Rabbitohs v Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Souths wouldn't even be in this if it weren't for all of the penalties. Undisciplined, but one-sided once again.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Coates out in the open though damn
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Stop being Sowfs number one cheers squad, Fox Sports you friggin’ plonkers.
They are willing them home and it shots me to tears.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That’s the effort Bellamy has been looking for. Well done boys.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Josh King was fantastic tonight. Best on ground. Deserved his try and more even.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:50 pm That’s the effort Bellamy has been looking for. Well done boys.
Exactly right . A superb defensive performance .
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

blazza18 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:57 pm Yea that’s an awful decision. Maybe it really is time for Bellamy to go.
Are you on acid? It’s obvious one of the backs must be carrying a knock.

Great win defensively.

Some work on attack but that’s a great improvement on past weeks.

I hoped we would win 2 from Rabbits, Roosters and Manly so that’s a great start
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nick Meany still not a full back this week? His try saver says volumes. Ran better today also.

Was it a case of us being a better team? I think partly yes but also we played with more purpose.

My spotlight on Loiero again, 7 missed tackles which was frustrating but another 140m+, 14 hit ups, 47 tackles and almost 50 post contact meters. He is a stat machine.

Big wraps on our back 5, really generated some attack. At this point I question how Hughes gets his spot back Pezet looks better each week
big_m
Squall
Squall

Superb defensive effort. Pezet looks like the real deal - munster should go to fullback when hughes returns.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:18 pm
My spotlight on Loiero again, 7 missed tackles which was frustrating but another 140m+, 14 hit ups, 47 tackles and almost 50 post contact meters. He is a stat machine.

Big wraps on our back 5, really generated some attack. At this point I question how Hughes gets his spot back Pezet looks better each week
I'm a fan of his too but nearly put the foot through the TV with the two stupid hold down penalties he gave away. I think considering the amount of traffic running his way how does his 7 missed tackles from 47 compare with Munsters? (Stat please or where do I go to look at the stats?) Munster would be singularly our worst tackler.

The only problem with Meaney is he doesn't have that back up ability to the ball runner that we were so used to with Slater and somewhat Paps

Welch looks woefully out of form

Olam doesn't look like Olam, maybe I'm expecting too much?

As others said, Coates doesn't hit the line with any purpose

Can't complain about Pezet and Warbrick, they both demand selection

Big fan of Alec McDonald and Garlick went all right too
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NRL.com has us having more missed and ineffective tackles last night than we did against the Dogs in round two. To me that doesn't match the eye test at all.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

We missed a lot in the first 20 mins when both teams were doing 70m a set. After that we tightened up a lot. Importantly in our own 20 in the 2nd half when it really mattered.

Stats are only ever part of the story…
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:48 pm We missed a lot in the first 20 mins when both teams were doing 70m a set. After that we tightened up a lot. Importantly in our own 20 in the 2nd half when it really mattered.

Stats are only ever part of the story…
I think there were about 23 missed in the first 20-30 minutes.

Also, I think a heap of them were due to the weight of possession the Rabbitohs had and because a few of the guys (when Souths were camped deep in the 20) were playing compressed or shooting up out of the line to cause pressure.

I think that worked though - although Munster and a few of the guys missed a heap it really rattled Souths’ ability to spread the ball to their wingers.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

To an extent, rushing up on that side will create a bit of fear in opposition sides because of Olam, still concerns me how many we miss doing it though
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

big_m wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:21 am Superb defensive effort. Pezet looks like the real deal - munster should go to fullback when hughes returns.
I think Craig should really look at doing this . It is great to read that Paps is starting to run again, but that presumably would put him many weeks away from playing at all, let alone playing 80 mins at full back.

I reckon Nick Meaney is a wholehearted performer ( and a valuable goalkicker ) who has been a very good acquisition for the club , but I cannot see us winning a flag with him at full back.

So Munster to fullback , Jonah at 6, Jahrome at 7, Nick at 5. Will Warbrick to 17 ( Grant Anderson was 17 last night and did not get a run ) , and can come on if the above changes do not work and is big enough to fill a hole in centres or even the pack if injuries require it during the match.