Storm Vs Eels Commbank stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jeez gutsy win, a very even match with both teams keeping the other in it with errors.

I was about to question Loiero's inclusion as I don't think he's effective, however with 115m, 84 minutes, 38 tackles and 14 hit ups (most of the team) I quickly ate my words, he's a bit of a quiet achiever it seems.

Katoa, I felt, held on to some ball too much when Reimis was wide open on the wing. His hit on Moses was a good tone setter but nerves got the better of his timing. I like the agression he can bring.

NAS was huge as per usual and Welch led strong.

Our makeshift left edge got found out but kudos for them digging in.

Young T has absolutely matured physically from when he previously played for us, back then I was happy to see him at the Falcons or the Tigers but now he's a handy Olam replacement, hard to leave him out if he improves from here.

Warbrick also a good game, didn't shoot the lights out but can hold his head up. A few rah rah habits to unteach.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Xavier Coates will miss a week or two. I assume it is a case of Grant Anderson replacing him unless Sua Fa'alogo plays on the wing.

Cameron Munster would be in doubt too. Does that mean Jonah Pezet becomes player 228? (Unless Sua plays wing). Or does Meaney play 6 and Sua at 1? I would love Sua to play but would prefer Meaney at 1 than 6.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:27 am Xavier Coates will miss a week or two. I assume it is a case of Grant Anderson replacing him unless Sua Fa'alogo plays on the wing.

Cameron Munster would be in doubt too. Does that mean Jonah Pezet becomes player 228? (Unless Sua plays wing). Or does Meaney play 6 and Sua at 1? I would love Sua to play but would prefer Meaney at 1 than 6.
If that happens I'd actually somewhat welcome it, debuting some players at the start of the season rather than the end, or mid.
I'd prefer Meany to Wing to replace Coates, Pezet to 5/8 to cover Munster, and Sua to FB.

I dont actually believe we will see those players debuting but I think it would be beneficial to do so.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would prefer Meaney to the wing too but that would be a lot of positional changes. Wonder if they just go Wishart to 5/8th and bring in *gulp* Anderson to the wing.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We really have had an abysmal run with injury the last 12-18months.
Has something at the club changed with the strength and conditioning etc?
Or is it just really, really bad luck.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 pmThe effort on the Moses charged down FG sums up the Storm.
Harry (rightly) getting the media for his try scoring effort to win the game, but that charge down is just as important. I reckon if Moses kicks that, we probably lose. HUGE effort for our starting props to get there and charge it down (didn't quite see the third player in there). Massive effort boys!

And as others have mentioned, a gritty, resilient win. Something that has been lacking.

Munster with a bone sticking out of his hand and he still comes out in the second half and bites down on the mouth guard. He had the ball on a string for that Young T try.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 pm
Bartos wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:19 pm Awful bench my goodness
Agreed, the only way it pays off is if we suffer an injury to an outside back or half and then either way we are toast.
Well I guess it worked
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:13 pm Jeez gutsy win, a very even match with both teams keeping the other in it with errors.

I was about to question Loiero's inclusion as I don't think he's effective, however with 115m, 84 minutes, 38 tackles and 14 hit ups (most of the team) I quickly ate my words, he's a bit of a quiet achiever it seems.

Katoa, I felt, held on to some ball too much when Reimis was wide open on the wing. His hit on Moses was a good tone setter but nerves got the better of his timing. I like the agression he can bring.

NAS was huge as per usual and Welch led strong.

Our makeshift left edge got found out but kudos for them digging in.

Young T has absolutely matured physically from when he previously played for us, back then I was happy to see him at the Falcons or the Tigers but now he's a handy Olam replacement, hard to leave him out if he improves from here.

Warbrick also a good game, didn't shoot the lights out but can hold his head up. A few rah rah habits to unteach.
It is important for our structure that Loiero, Katoa , King and Grant all showed they can play 80 minutes ( or more ! ) . Craig has always liked his backrowers to play 80 so he does not need to burn any interchanges on them. He can thus use the same structure as he had with Felise and Kenny , and perhaps we will not miss Brandon Smith too much ( expect maybe around Origin time ).
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Having now seen the game I think all things considered we did very well to even be in the contest, let alone win the game. There will always be the dubious calls but there were so many errors and silly penalties.

Question for the observant, does Josh Hodgson struggle to throw the ball backwards? He clearly, according to the officials, does pass backwards but I'm not so sure.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He absolutely, 100%, beyond any doubt in my mind threw multiple passed that went 2+ metres forwards
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:51 am
SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:08 pmThe effort on the Moses charged down FG sums up the Storm.
Harry (rightly) getting the media for his try scoring effort to win the game, but that charge down is just as important. I reckon if Moses kicks that, we probably lose. HUGE effort for our starting props to get there and charge it down (didn't quite see the third player in there). Massive effort boys!

And as others have mentioned, a gritty, resilient win. Something that has been lacking.

Munster with a bone sticking out of his hand and he still comes out in the second half and bites down on the mouth guard. He had the ball on a string for that Young T try.
Bronson Garlick if I recall correctly…
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Again. My big concern is Howarth, on 500k per year but can’t seem to crack the top 17 with so many injuries to the backs & forwards.. if he can’t now he never will..

And if the current back rowers cement their spot, we have a 500k per year player that’s ment to be the next big thing playing bench or even struggling to make the top 17.

I’m mind blown when it comes to this.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Howarth just must not be ready yet. Be it health or trust from the coaching staff. As frustrating as it is he's still only 20. We have to be patient.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Something I loved was that everyone in our starting pack (with the exception of Harry and he can be forgiven) ran for over a hundred metres. Great to have Christian back and he led from the front.
Last year it was a rarity to have more than one or two make the ton, and Jesse (our captain remember) rarely made 75.

Not wanting to be harsh on Kenny or Fus, but I don't think we've lost a lot.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:05 pm Something I loved was that everyone in our starting pack (with the exception of Harry and he can be forgiven) ran for over a hundred metres. Great to have Christian back and he led from the front.
Last year it was a rarity to have more than one or two make the ton, and Jesse (our captain remember) rarely made 75.

Not wanting to be harsh on Kenny or Fus, but I don't think we've lost a lot.
With KBrom and Fus…we’ve lost defensive strength primarily….but in a no nonsense type of way, both Katoa and Loiero were solid in defence.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time