Final vs Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am understanding we play away during the World Cup. So we have more games at home before and after the World Cup. I could be wrong.

This has been the worse storm season for a long time. The captain should have been dropped month ago. Other players should not be in the team at all, they are not up to first grade. Munster should go now. I don’t want to hear about him going to the dolphins all next season from his manager on television every week.

This is exactly what the NRL and V’landys wanted, no Melbourne Storm. Not mention how happy the Sydney media will be
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

TC wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:59 pm
Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:58 pm
The only player I was genuinely disappointed in losing was Cheese and I must say he had a pretty average year anyway.
Brandon looked like he lost the care factor after he signed with the Roosters.
Wonder how he'll go when he realises he's the second choice hooker there too?
I felt he lost interest as well early in the year.

Funny because I lost interest in him as well. They had a piece on fox footy with him this week. I watched two minutes and switched it off.

The intangibles that I found endearing about him were shat on after that announcement. Hard to see the rest of the club not secretly feeling the same way
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Tapine was the difference. Such an Awesome front rower.

Another difference was Klein and Atkins. They costs us 18 points. 2 terrible kick chase calls and a Solomona knock on from fresh air. They were awful.

Got ti move on. Tough year with injuries but some good effort all the same.

Must learn to be stiffer in the middle and get some squad depth for 23.

Thanks all - see you next yesr
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We need a couple of established superstars after having lost so many over recent times. I don’t care about existing contracts. We’ll have Taumololo, Manu and Mulitalo. Thanks.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very curious how the club responds to the back half of the season. Injuries played a part but this is the worst future outlook the team has had in almost a decade.
big_m
Squall
Squall

Ricky Stuart saying none of the 50/50 calls went their way lol.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Home now after a disappointing but not surprising end to the season, my thoughts, and probably quite unpalpable to many:

I started the coaches message thread, maybe it wasn't the coaches message as much as it was the coach. I know great coach but hard calls need to be made and I'm as sure as night follows day that the coach has his favourites and he sticks like concrete. Numerous people have been tried but not given the full support of the coach and team and moved on and yet others are given the full support and don't continue to repay the faith. Obviously I've had a serious crack at the coach here, it's no secret that for at least two years I've been on Jesse's case but the club also need to have a good hard look at themselves too. Let's go way back to when the club vetoed Chris Andersons son, the same should've been done with Jesse, not reward him with the captaincy. Seriously, WTF?
Forwards, and the whole squad, we'll hear the lines trotted out about the injuries but we've always prided ourselves on the "next man up" mentality. Seriously, our backs have achieved very well this year with all the comings and goings but of course it all starts in the middle, attack and defence. Earlier in the year we were crying about our right edge in defence, a certain second rower has some time away and lo our edge seemingly tightened up.
Our tackle technique is terrible, everybody wants to tackle high and strip the ball rather than stop the player. We continually have blokes left lying on the ground, something has changed from previous years with us becoming turnstiles.
Munster stay or go? I can't decide. 1 or 6, I can't decide. He can strip but he can't tackle. His one up tackling is terrible compared to Hughes and even Johns. His defensive effort at tackling before the try tonight was just awful. He's not rocks and diamonds, his boulders and diamond encrusted golden rings. If he does go to the Dolphins like people keep talking he'll be playing with a very aging Bromwich and Kafusi.
We pay our money, as members or spectators for entertainment with the hope the side you have a leaning towards gives you a bit of additional pleasure in the result. I'd like to think the players all go out and try their hardest, like I said, I'd like to think they all go out to play their hardest. I have no doubt most do... Of the much talked about departing four, Kenny is the only one I will miss, the only one who brought something to the table every single week.

As for the last game,
Jesse running 80 metres in the first half, really, from end on he must've jinked half that distance. He also had the worst attempt at a tackle that led to the line break and the first try. Meaney coming in to the game carrying an injury, the AFL wouldn't do it and I don't know why we ever do it. He pulled up short in the first half and didn't take a great part in the game after this. If fit I'd have had Johns in there, but then I suppose this was the Coaches loyalty showing through again. Chris Lewis coming on late for only a brief period actually looked like he showed something but I feel he's on the outer and hence his brief spell. Silly mistakes which many were guilty of, mid field kicks that don't go far enough, miscommunication at the back when diffusing bombs, Kafusi's penalty for obstruction had to be the worst of the year, penalty for attacking the player in the air and then not having the favour repaid..., dumb captains challenges. I will not blame the referee though, the responsibility falls solely on the shoulders of the team selected and the people that select the team.

Next year
Badly need some big mean forwards
Interesting to see how we go, I hold very little confidence and would love to be proven wrong
Interesting to see if the coaching panel can re-invent themselves

I won't say by for now as I'm sure someone will add something useful (or contraversial! hahaha)
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was sort of expected based on how we were tracking and the Raiders record at AAMI. As others pointed out nor sure why Raiders were paying $3+.

Jesse was a great servant for the club but should have been dropped mid-year. Younger, less experienced guys like MacDonald and Jordan Grant should have been given more opportunity. MacDonald showed promise in first grade and Grant has been smashing it in Qld Cup.

We were always going to struggle relying on Munster for goal kicks. I mean if he kicks that easy penalty when Hughes went off, we are still in the game until the final play.

We need to train/ find another goalkickicker unless Pezet plays as the 14, but even then he will be on the bench most of the time.

NAS is a devastating runner but needs to work on his ball control.

A bright point was the dramatic improvement of Marion Seve, throughout the season.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yikes that was a shit game. Some calls were a bit on the nose but we kicked our selves out of the game and the raiders played like they actually wanted to win.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon seemed to have the most emotion on his face when he was leaning the field. Good to see. Hopefully he reflects on his time here with fondness
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Last night, like the last few weeks, and indeed the last few months was hard to watch. I just kept waiting for things to click into place and for moments it looked like it would, but then... gone.

Anyway, it's done now, so I guess a big thanks to those who actually tried, to those who came in to cover our horrendous unjury toll and to those who are moving on from their time at Melbourne. Bring on 2023
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can't believe there's no consequences for Horsburgh throwing Munster's boot away
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:57 am Brandon seemed to have the most emotion on his face when he was leaning the field. Good to see. Hopefully he reflects on his time here with fondness
He let us down big time. It’s hilarious he might even struggle to start 9 at the Roosters and even if he does, it’s in a team that was also knocked out week 1. I don’t wish him anything at all….except that he always play poorly against Storm.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:55 pm Can't believe there's no consequences for Horsburgh throwing Munster's boot away
Why? Munster has done it in the past
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And he was fined I'd hope. If he wasn't, he should have been. Oh&s issue, bare feet around studs if nothing else.