Soooo, Billy Slater

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I know its early days and it's only 3 games of origin, but does it show enough promise thay we should be looking to get Billy as the replacement for Craig when he decides to step back?
We know they have a great working relationship, and Billy obviously has some motivational skills to inspire that level of performance of what should have been a fairly easy to beat side.
He's already spent time at the club doing fullback coaching in his post playing days.
So, what do we think
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:32 pm I know its early days and it's only 3 games of origin, but does it show enough promise thay we should be looking to get Billy as the replacement for Craig when he decides to step back?
We know they have a great working relationship, and Billy obviously has some motivational skills to inspire that level of performance of what should have been a fairly easy to beat side.
He's already spent time at the club doing fullback coaching in his post playing days.
So, what do we think
I love Bill and of all the ex-players turn coaches, I would prefer it to be him.

However, its easy to look like a genius when you have a team of elite players and no salary cap to worry about.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It would be magical. The public profile he would bring, the excitement for all Storm supporters and indeed the Victorian public , would be priceless.

None of that would ultimately be any good if he can’t coach , and I agree three games is a small sample ; BUT it was the biggest stage and he acquitted himself brilliantly. So although it is a bit of a dice-roll, bring it on !
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Slater wants to do it I think it's the most obvious no brainer successor plan for life after Bellamy. These series will give him a ton of experience and I'm pretty sure the plan will be for him to have Bellamy work with him for a year or two before he gets full control.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Further to my previous post, yes elite talent etc is an advantage to his coaching experience. I personally would prefer if he WAS state and club coach. He needs to get QLD players to WANT to play for him as origin coach and that pulling power would transfer directly to the Storm player roster.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Has Jason Ryles dropped off the radar at his or the Club's instigation ?

Or is he still very much on it as Bellyache's successor ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

He’s clearly a talented coach but I wouldn’t be throwing everything at him to take over from Bellamy yet.

Also, anyone else stoked to see how much the crowd was loving him and chanting his name last night? Reminded me of when he got the Clive Churchill medal after the 2017 Grand Final.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just so we're clear, I'm not advocating that we toss Bellamy in favor of Billy tomorrow.
But we know this year or next is probably Craig's last season as coach before he steps back into a more hands off role. He's still got 4 years at the club.
I'm thinking maybe next year, Billy comes in as an assistant to Craig for some direct mentoring as the heir apparent while still fulfilling his SOO suties, before stepping up as the full time coach with Craig in the background guiding him for the next few seasons.

It makes alot of sense if Billy has club coaching aspirations. He knows the staff, the systems, the culture. Has that good working relationship with Craig already well established. And he's been gone long enough that he wouldn't be trying to coach his peers as most if not all have since moved on.

Thing is, Craig has already signalled his time is almost up, and there really isn't any other proven coaches out there that look likely in terms of being a good fit. Nor are any of the supposed next big things.
If the clubs going to gamble, let's gamble on a bloke who bled purple when he played and who just put on a hell of an audition with a team that was supposedly not up to matching the might of nsw. He got a bunch of debutantes and second choice players to buy in and play beyond expectation aling side a few blokes that people said were past it, and to me, that's special, that has the hall marks of a man who could well be the next great coach.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I did see on a twitter feed,

catherine
@CathP82
·
13h
Replying to
@storm
Do you think he'd be cheeky enough to ring Craig & say gee it isn't that hard to win a state of origin series
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:37 am Just so we're clear, I'm not advocating that we toss Bellamy in favor of Billy tomorrow.
But we know this year or next is probably Craig's last season as coach before he steps back into a more hands off role. He's still got 4 years at the club.
I'm thinking maybe next year, Billy comes in as an assistant to Craig for some direct mentoring as the heir apparent while still fulfilling his SOO suties, before stepping up as the full time coach with Craig in the background guiding him for the next few seasons.

It makes alot of sense if Billy has club coaching aspirations. He knows the staff, the systems, the culture. Has that good working relationship with Craig already well established. And he's been gone long enough that he wouldn't be trying to coach his peers as most if not all have since moved on.

Thing is, Craig has already signalled his time is almost up, and there really isn't any other proven coaches out there that look likely in terms of being a good fit. Nor are any of the supposed next big things.
If the clubs going to gamble, let's gamble on a bloke who bled purple when he played and who just put on a hell of an audition with a team that was supposedly not up to matching the might of nsw. He got a bunch of debutantes and second choice players to buy in and play beyond expectation aling side a few blokes that people said were past it, and to me, that's special, that has the hall marks of a man who could well be the next great coach.
Understood, and totally spot on!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yeah it's an interesting one. I figured Ryles was the anointed one and he was just getting some experience under his belt before taking the next step. I hope we give Bill some real consideration though. No mean feat knocking off a side with Cleary, Teddy, etc.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Jason Ryles is in talks with the roosters
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:00 pm I think Jason Ryles is in talks with the roosters
Where's Robinson going?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ryles signed as an assistant last year to replace Fitzgibbon and officially until; 2024 but we all know how flexible contacts are.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:15 pm
sallymay wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:00 pm I think Jason Ryles is in talks with the roosters
Where's Robinson going?
There's been rumblings amongst roosters fans for the last few years that Trent may pull the pin within the next few years to move his family to France. His wife is French and on several occasions he's expressed some desire towards having their children experience their mothers culture.
Given the ryles signing, there may be a little bit of truth to that.

Also worth noting is that politis has a track record of moving people on if he feels they aren't getting the results he wants. He may be looking at how Melbourne coped post cronk vs how the roosters have tracked since cronk retired and start thinking that maybe robbo isn't the man to take the roosters forward. They've gotten worse year on year and are in danger of missing the 8 this year. I'd say if they miss the 8 this year and don't improve dramatically next year, Trent may get a tap on the shoulder from old uncle nick