Brandon smith judiciary

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

5:30pm - The judiciary hearing will get underway in around 30 minutes. Smith has pleaded guilty to the contrary conduct charge and will learn his fate tonight. Any type of suspension will be costly for Melbourne ahead of Sunday's clash against the Raiders while Smith, in his final year at the Storm, will be hoping his remorse post-match is enough to spare him from time on the sidelines.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

5:50pm - The judiciary panel is Tony Puletua, Paul Simpkins and Geoff Bellew
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

6:00pm - Brandon Smith is appearing via video link in Melbourne. He is joined by Storm football boss Frank Ponissi
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

6:31pm - Gyles is asking for a minimum suspension of four weeks for Smith, despite the remorse, guilty plea and acceptance shown by the player.

6:26pm - NRL counsel Lachlan Gyles says by calling Gee a "cheat", Smith was questioning both the character and integrity of the official.

"“The problem with calling a cheat, you were questioning his character and integrity. You were making his job difficult. You’ve let down your club, the fans and officials. As a professional player you need to be able to show a better example. There’s really no excuse is there?”

6:22pm - A dejected Smith says he's prepared for whatever outcome the panel decides.

"I’m not here to argue I’ve done the wrong thing. I just want to let everyone know I feel terrible and I’ll accept any consequence you come up with. I know I’ve done the wrong thing."

6:18pm - Smith has described what happened in the moment.

"In the tackle, I said 'f*** me' but that was not directed at the referee. I was super frustrated. I thought I deserved a penalty at the time. Frustration makes you say things. I got up and continued with cheating b****** comment towards the ref. It was just a brain explosion. It was just frustration and the heat of the moment, the team was down by 20. I was trying to get something going and in the heat of the moment. My performance was poor and my team’s performance was poor. I took it out on the wrong person. I said things I shouldn’t have said to a person."

6:12pm - A character reference has been provided for Smith by
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

6:44pm - Smith's lawyer Ghabar is asking for a two-match suspension, saying that a four week penalty is too harsh following on from the sin bin that occurred during the match.

“It’s not like he said it after a game at a press conference about the referee. It was done in the heat of the moment. I hope that’s something you can take into account. After the game he actively sought a Storm official after the game to reach out to the referee. He’s prepared to accept and that’s something to his credit. I hope you can also take into account his good record and character. He’s played 100 games for the Storm and eight games for New Zealand. Out of that he has two relatively minor charges. Last year he had a Shoulder Charge and careless Grade One charge. This is in the context that he plays in the middle of the field at either lock, prop or hooker.”

6:41pm - The character reference being provided by Kiwis coach Michael Maguire has now been read out.

“Brandon is a very popular player in the game. He is an exceptionally passionate and committed player. He’s a larrikin but has always shown he’s always respectful towards match officials. I find it out of character he has acted this way towards a referee.”
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:00 pm 5:50pm - The judiciary panel is Tony Puletua, Paul Simpkins and Geoff Bellew
Now there's a cheating bastard! :?
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Smith gets a 3-game ban.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lol forgot to update here …thanks insomniac
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noticed one of the games he is suspended for is in NZ. Wonder if that means the club wont bother to take him over?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:31 am Noticed one of the games he is suspended for is in NZ. Wonder if that means the club wont bother to take him over?
Don’t think they would …if he is suspended you aren’t meant to travel with the team

So his bad attitude has cost him a chance to go home
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I personally think it's a bit woke for Smith to get 3 weeks for calling a ref a cheat. what's next? A fan gets banned for life for calling a ref a cheat? It's not like he called him a c*&^ or a dog etc.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm_M_36 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 pm I personally think it's a bit woke for Smith to get 3 weeks for calling a ref a cheat. what's next? A fan gets banned for life for calling a ref a cheat? It's not like he called him a c*&^ or a dog etc.
Big difference between a fan and a player doing it. And it's not as though Smith doesn't know the rules.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm_M_36 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:10 pm I personally think it's a bit woke for Smith to get 3 weeks for calling a ref a cheat. what's next? A fan gets banned for life for calling a ref a cheat? It's not like he called him a c*&^ or a dog etc.
You seriously believe that just letting any and all NRL players call the referees cheats when they feel like it on the field or off the field is acceptable ?

Smith got 3 weeks for doing it and that's appropriate.

He should have got another 3 weeks for being dumb enough to say it.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Deserved what he got, was probably lucky it wasn't more. In saying that, how didn't Fifita get the same? Blatantly dangerous act and he got a fine...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was he wrong though?

Tolman took him to the ground three times and Gee wasn’t interested in doing his job for some reason. What else would you call it?
Last edited by yourhero on Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.