AAMI Park stand tribute for Cameron Smith

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cameron Smith will be further immortalised at AAMI Park with the unveiling of the eastern stand in his name prior to this Sunday’s clash between Melbourne Storm and the Canberra Raiders.

Storm members and supporters will have the chance to pay tribute to their recently retired skipper and celebrate his record-breaking career at the Club when he attends the unveiling in person.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ron-smith/
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Should be honouring Cooper too …it’s ridiculous he has been left out
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:23 am Should be honouring Cooper too …it’s ridiculous he has been left out
While Cooper will always be special to the club and well regarded. He'll never be held in the same regard as Cameron and Billy because he chose to walk away from the club and finish his career elsewhere.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He was still under contract too, we released him because he indicated he would retire then he didn't
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:56 pm He was still under contract too, we released him because he indicated he would retire then he didn't
Cronk? Not sure that is true.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:56 pm He was still under contract too, we released him because he indicated he would retire then he didn't
At his press conference, he never said he would retire he said he wouldn't be playing for the Storm the next year. He makes comments like future is up in air, that he thinks he has 2 good years left in him and that he hadn't spoken to any Sydney clubs yet. (Refer link below)

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/melbourne- ... 4c5965302f

I think it was wishful thinking from a lot of Storm fans that read his comments as retirement, who then rewrote history and then when he signed with the Roosters he lied to us. Which is not correct.

Based on that press conference I always expected him to sign with a Sydney club.

In fact, the same day of the press conference there was a Billy's Buddies clinic and I remember Cameron Munster jokingly stirring him up by calling him a "traitor".
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Not to derail this to far away from paying tribute to the goat, but,

What I will give cronk is that he was always very professional. I don't for a moment believe that he made a decision to go to the roosters after the season, I'm sure a guy who took his career as seriously as he did knew he was headed there months before it was announced. And in saying that, if he did indeed have at least a handshake deal with the chooks, he kept his mouth shut and got on with playing his best for the club he was still signed to and suiting up for..... something a few current players could learn an awful lot from
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The club should at least commemorate Cronk, Slater, Smith together somehow. It's honestly a bizarre look from the club to push Cronk to the side the way they have.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Exactly
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just don't think Cronk is in the echelon of Cam and Bill. I would have this view even if he played out his days here.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:37 am The club should at least commemorate Cronk, Slater, Smith together somehow. It's honestly a bizarre look from the club to push Cronk to the side the way they have.
I think there's a lot of bitterness with certain people in the club. Possibly justified.
People understood he wanted to be with Tara and I don't think anyone would have been too upset if Cronk had gone north to help a struggling Sydney club, but who REALLY believes that the Roosters had him under the cap?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 pm Cronk , but who REALLY believes that the Roosters had him under the cap?
The salary cap auditors apparently
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:59 pm Just don't think Cronk is in the echelon of Cam and Bill. I would have this view even if he played out his days here.
This.
Great player, but not in the same league as Slater or Smith.

And through his commentary since leaving, he doesn’t particularly have a fondness for the club anymore… I am happy with him getting a passing nod from the club.