Is the coaches message becoming lost?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Don't shoot me for saying this but I've had these thoughts for a while, might as well air them now!

Craig Bellamy
I used to say when Richmond were a basket case he could come in and lift the club out of the eternal mire they continually found themselves in and I was very surprised when he couldn't get the NSW Blues over the line during Queensland's decade of dominance.

Craig Bellamy is probably regarded as one of the greatest coaches of the modern era, maybe of all eras, his ability to get the best out of players is unquestionable, think of Norrie, Blair, Lima, Cronk, et al, there have been plenty he has lifted from mediocre to excellent players who all did their job more than adequately, but is he? Has he been flattered by having the absolute cream of the crop on the field for much of his coaching career. The famous Bellamy half time spray is maybe something that should never be required. I believe he has the utmost respect amongst the players and I'm absolutely certain that that's the reason some players in the early days of Bellamy drifted away, thinking Aaron Moule here. That respect goes two ways and I think Bellamy is extremely loyal, maybe loyal to a fault, thinking J Bromwich now. Another opinion I've heard espoused and one I can't really disagree with, if plan A fails resort to Plan A, it's worked well for so long it must continue to work. Of course the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result!
Also, let me make it clear, I am not one for changing coaches for the sake of changing coaches and I am definitely not one for changing coaches if a better person is not out there.

My point is, and to the header of this, Is the coaches message becoming lost?

Any thoughtful and considered opinions, not rants?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well everyone want him to keep going …next year will be his last
Guess we will find out soon
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bellamy has evolved the Storm game over many years, so I can't see ability to change as being a problem.
For the first time in many years we have issues with destabilisation within the playing group and lack of onfield leadership - and I suspect Bullucked is 100% correct with their thoughts about Craig and loyalty.
Jesse is not providing anything in the way of on-field leadership, he's not even leading by example. Meanwhile, Brandon Smith is like the kid at school coming up to the end of year 10 who already has an apprenticeship sorted for next year. Knows he can kick back and play the class clown without impacting his future and not really caring if he disrupts everybody else.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Jesse is not providing anything in the way of on-field leadership, he's not even leading by example. Meanwhile, Brandon Smith is like the kid at school coming up to the end of year 10 who already has an apprenticeship sorter for next year. Knows he can kick back and play the class clown without impacting his future and not really caring if he disrupts everybody else.

So true. I have been saying all year. One of the best examples I have ever read.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Through no real fault of Bellamy's, I think his message isn't reaching this current group as well as it should. Be it lack of leadership or a talent issue, the team just doesn't have it atm. Feel like there's hardly anyone on the team willing to do that hard work and compete atm. No one willing to grind it out. (And tbf on that I'm not sure this team has the players to get into a grind either).

Thankfully we seem to be running close to the end of this current cycle of players and we'll be looking to reshape a large chunk of the roster in a year or so.
Stormed8888
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Too many players on the field that won’t be there next year. Brandon Smith is single handedly destroying a great club. The sooner he is out the better we will be. The roosters stuffed up bad paying that much for him that’s the best news out of the B Smith disaster.
big_m
Squall
Squall

I dont agree that the coach's messaging isnt getting through. The team is still joint second on the ladder despite the biggest injury list in the nrl. That doesnt happen without exceptional coaching. This group of players also put 70 on the warriors not that long ago.

I do think craig is being too loyal to long term players and its hurting us. You cant have a starting front rower only getting 60-70m each week: just doesnt work, and we cant win a comp like this.

I also think we have a leadership void. Thats on the club as a whole. We've known for years that cam would retire at some point and also had expensive 'leadership consultants'. How did we get to the stage where we havent developed any leaders?

We maybe have to accept that the group of players this year simply arent good enough without welch, reimis etc.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm not sure we're anywhere near a 'the coach has lost the dressing room' situation yet.
The effort displayed in the last 2 games was terrible, agreed, but there's little chance thay Craig has suddenly forgotten how to coach.

He's a great man manager, and he and the storm have a pretty solid record for getting the best out of players.

What I feel has happened, is that a lot of individual problems have combined to make a larger one. As mentioned, a few of the departing players look like they've clocked off. We lost a few key players at the end of last season. The injury toll is one of the worst I can remember. Then on top of that there's the occasional covid out as well. It's hard to recall where we've had the same team with players in the same position for any more than a week or two, thats killing cohesion, communication and combinations. I do think though, the early season success has made a few players complacent and did nothing to help get them used to winning ugly and competing for 80 minutes. And of course, origin disruption gets added to the mix too.

It kind of shows how spoiled we've been as fans that 2 losses has plenty of us fearing the sky is falling and we're a spent force.

I'd like to think Craig will right the ship somewhat over the coming weeks and make the best of the hand he's been dealt as we approach the pointy end of the season. We should finish top 4 and there's every chance that the side can be there challenging for a spot in the grand final.... and if they get there, absolutely anything can happen on the day.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good sensible commentary, I feared the worst when I started this thread and hoped for the best. Thank you one and all, and any to come.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I’m not sure his message is being lost as such.

In 2012 the club lost five straight including to the Eels (who I think won the spoon that year) and to the Dragons (who missed the finals).

I’m not saying generally that this side is the 2012 team that will go on and win it all but what I believe is he might be considering that there is time to turn the slump around and reassess while also keeping some fuel in the tank. He was very mindful of the fact the Storm ran out of gas in 2008 chasing the minor premiership down and learned a lot about coaching and conditioning from that.

He won’t be using excuses but surely the injuries will be a factor Bellamy will be considering in the losses too.

Basically, I don’t think he’s going too hard on the guys currently.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

riders of the storm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:27 am I’m not sure his message is being lost as such.

In 2012 the club lost five straight including to the Eels (who I think won the spoon that year) and to the Dragons (who missed the finals).

I’m not saying generally that this side is the 2012 team that will go on and win it all but what I believe is he might be considering that there is time to turn the slump around and reassess while also keeping some fuel in the tank. He was very mindful of the fact the Storm ran out of gas in 2008 chasing the minor premiership down and learned a lot about coaching and conditioning from that.

He won’t be using excuses but surely the injuries will be a factor Bellamy will be considering in the losses too.

Basically, I don’t think he’s going too hard on the guys currently.
You touch on a very good point regarding past performances where it's been win at all costs only to fall short when it matters.
Even last year was a good example, the side went on a record winning streak, but after being up so long, it felt like they didn't have enough left come finals time. Now, there was no way Craig was ever going to say, drop a few games boys, you don't wanna burn up all your wins, but you can't help but wonder if that streak harmed the teams late season performance.

2009 Melbourne seemed to pull back a bit after the way 2008 went and we all know how that season ended. Not bad for a side that only managed 4th on the ladder.

And if all else fails and our season goes to hell in a handbasket.... just remember folks, it could be worse, we could be tigers fans :lol:
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:45 pm And if all else fails and our season goes to hell in a handbasket.... just remember folks, it could be worse, we could be tigers fans :lol:
The only problem with this analogy is that the Tigers fans expect and accept mediocrity.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well, that's another 80 minutes I won't get back. (Maybe I could start a thread with this heading) I've just watched the Storm v Rabbits match and reckon as it's the same thing week in week out it's worth putting in this thread.

Another game of disinterest, little effort, lacking enthusiasm and errors.

Players left on the ground after tackles, no urgency to get up and get back in the line. Dominated in both attack and defence, tackling too high and being pushed backwards, very little post contact meters. Defence relying on laying all over the players and then consequent penalties / 6 agains, and then being gun shy in loitering too long. It all starts and ends in the forwards and it all starts at the top, the captain.

Whilst we have injuries I don't buy that as an excuse. Storm has always prided itself on the "next man up" principle and being given only one job to do. Props playing link men, not getting on side, backs taking full sets. Until the effort levels lift nothing is going to change, are we being coached by Kearney?

Players are only human and to err is human but effort can be controlled, I certainly don't expect or want robots. Having a "red hot go" is all I'd like to see.

Seems to me a few players have lost the passion and it's becoming infectious, is this coming from further up the food chain, I don't know and can only speculate.

A 10% increase in effort and winning ways will be found again, there's always next week.

Sallymay (anyone) do you still get to training, what's the feel?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

^^ Have noticed we're lying on players even more now because we're trying to overcompensate for the declining defence. We've become horrible to watch, honestly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 90abfd81eb

Bellamy's quotes from his presser are about the most frustrated as he's ever been. He doesn't really know why what's going on is going on.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:14 pm I'm not sure we're anywhere near a 'the coach has lost the dressing room' situation yet.
The effort displayed in the last 2 games was terrible, agreed, but there's little chance thay Craig has suddenly forgotten how to coach.

He's a great man manager, and he and the storm have a pretty solid record for getting the best out of players.

What I feel has happened, is that a lot of individual problems have combined to make a larger one. As mentioned, a few of the departing players look like they've clocked off. We lost a few key players at the end of last season. The injury toll is one of the worst I can remember. Then on top of that there's the occasional covid out as well. It's hard to recall where we've had the same team with players in the same position for any more than a week or two, thats killing cohesion, communication and combinations. I do think though, the early season success has made a few players complacent and did nothing to help get them used to winning ugly and competing for 80 minutes. And of course, origin disruption gets added to the mix too.

It kind of shows how spoiled we've been as fans that 2 losses has plenty of us fearing the sky is falling and we're a spent force.

I'd like to think Craig will right the ship somewhat over the coming weeks and make the best of the hand he's been dealt as we approach the pointy end of the season. We should finish top 4 and there's every chance that the side can be there challenging for a spot in the grand final.... and if they get there, absolutely anything can happen on the day.
Hard to watch for the last 4 weeks after so many years of elite performances from our Club (and even decent performances this year)...and disappointing to see the Club slide from top 2 in this current slump,...but i reckon CB is still the man to coach this team.

I love how CB doesn't blame injuries (and never has...which is awesome)...but this year, the injuries have been crippling both in terms of timing and positions.

After 16 year years of being consistently the most elite NRL Club and providing me with a lifetime of outstanding memories from this time....I can't be critical of CB, the current team or Club.

Do I hope the team arrests this form slump with something spectacular for the rest of the year...of course !

But it's not the time to ask CB to leave the building.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time