Storm could be playing in Tasmania

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Hobart Mercury is reporting that the Storm are in discussions to bring a game to Tasmania and it could be for premiership points.

I couldn't read anymore because the article was a subscriber article. If anyone has a subscription to Hobart Mercury (or I have also found it on NT News website) could you please copy and paste entire article.

If this happens I hope that means that we wouldn't be playing a home game for magic round.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

ONE of the biggest sporting brands in Australian sport could be returning to Tasmania with the Melbourne Storm in discussions to bring a game south — and it could be the first ever NRL match for premiership points.

Tasmanian Hospitality and Events Minister Nic Street has had preliminary conversations with the perennial NRL powerhouse about a match in the state.

The Storm has previously played two trial games at the state’s tradition home of Australian rules, North Hobart Oval, to great success.

However, the Mercury understands the negotiations include whether it be another pre-season trial game, or Tasmania’s first ever NRL roster game.

In 2012, 11,752 fans saw the Storm host the Brisbane Broncos and in 2017, another 6852 spectators witnessed the Storm take on the Bulldogs, both prior to the season starting.

The opponent and the venue are also still up for discussion.

Street said there were many benefits from hosting the Storm in the state.

“Elite level sport not only provides entertainment for Tasmanians to enjoy, it provides pathways for men, women and children to aspire to, and supports the wider effort of our clubs in bringing people together and strengthening our communities," Street said.

“When our Government talks about investing in elite sporting content and infrastructure for our State, we do it knowing the positive impact it will have on grassroots sport and on the visitor economy.

The Storm has won four NRL premierships, played in three of the past five grand finals and has the biggest membership of any rugby league club with more than 35,000 members.

brett.stubbs@news.com.au
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'll accept this as long as Magic Round is an away game for us next season... sick of losing home games.

But, Tassie away would be a fund away trip :D
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't know if this works but I've been told you can open the subscriber articles when in an incognito mode window. Anybody know if it works?
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:10 pm I don't know if this works but I've been told you can open the subscriber articles when in an incognito mode window. Anybody know if it works?
Google '12foot ladder' gets around the paywall.
For Financial Review, click the article you want to read and then hit the Esc key repeatedly until the article loads - may take a few attempts.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It's a hard pass for me.......No way should we be selling off more games, considering we lost out on a whole season due to covid. Maybe in 5 years or so, but not now!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm_M_36 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:51 pm It's a hard pass for me.......No way should we be selling off more games, considering we lost out on a whole season due to covid. Maybe in 5 years or so, but not now!
Point is mate we will lose games due to the unavailability of a lot of grounds due to the womens World Cup
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:24 am
Storm_M_36 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:51 pm It's a hard pass for me.......No way should we be selling off more games, considering we lost out on a whole season due to covid. Maybe in 5 years or so, but not now!
Point is mate we will lose games due to the unavailability of a lot of grounds due to the womens World Cup

Damn, yes that's true. However I'd rather them play at a Melbourne suburban ground than play in Tassie!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree, taking games out of Victoria is just not on for me. I know there's extenuating circumstances but I just don't care, I pay my membership to be able to attend games and I can't do that with 100s in airfares and accommodation tacked on top