Round 17: 07.07 (Thu 19:50) Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks vs Melbourne Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

At least olam put in effort, more than could be said for many others tonight. Id rather a bloke who plays his heart out and makes a mistake than one who just couldn't be bothered
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some points from CB press conference:
-Sharks played "off the charts" in first half;
- Thought our effort areas improved on last week, particularly in first half;
- Thought Storm was still in game at 10-0, then Jahrome failed to find touch and Sharks made it 20-0;
- Didn't know what Brandon said, but was disappointed with him showing disrespect to referee and turning ball over when we were in possession, especially where we had quick play the balls in that possession;
- Running out of troops, especially in outside backs. Anderson injury looks bad. Gives someone else an opportunity, we just have to find that someone. Have a spot in our 30, may have to recruit a back from outside club.
- Hasn't spoken to Kenny after game, him walking off didn't look as bad as CB first thought.
-Papenhuyzen copped accidental knee in the back.
- Defence needs improvement, not showing enough resilience in that area.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Glad I chose to work over watching Storm hand the Sharks their first win over a top four side in 2022. I'm sure the boys will celebrate that in the sheds afterwards.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 pm
The brain dead penalty where he was offside but stayed out of & did not affect the play but was penalised anyway? That brain dead penalty? If so, wow, might be taking your frustration a bit too far there perhaps?!
Pretty common knowledge you can’t get inside the 10 when you’re offside.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:50 pm
blazza18 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:45 pm
nacho wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:42 pm

What game are you watching. He's been the only one putting some starch in us.

Cool that you like a guy who runs hard but he’s been consistently beaten defensively. And his brain dead penalty in the first half started all this rot.

Sorry but you're factually incorrect regarding being one of the worst on the field.

115+ meters
60+ post contact meters
6 tackle breaks
1 offload

But yes one of the worst on the field. Come on mate.

Check his outside man for a glimpse as to why he defends like he had to. Also having the entire sharks attack down his side is bound to have increased defensive errors.
Again there are two sides to the game and he consistently got beaten individually which resulted in try opportunities for the opponent. He was terrible.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 pm
Insomniac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 pm
The brain dead penalty where he was offside but stayed out of & did not affect the play but was penalised anyway? That brain dead penalty? If so, wow, might be taking your frustration a bit too far there perhaps?!
Pretty common knowledge you can’t get inside the 10 when you’re offside.
Yeah, and the refs ignore plenty of those types of calls when the player has clearly made an effort to not get involved and does not influence/affect the play - it was a nitpicking penalty that was only called because the Sharks player knocked on. Considering we can't seem to buy a penalty of late for offsides, holding down, ruck interference etc., especially early in games or when we're trying to build some momentum, these nitpicking penalties against us are just all the more frustrating.

It certainly wasn't a brain dead penalty from Olam though. There are so many other things to criticise with our players at the moment, including Olam, I just don't think this example deserves to be on the list.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Surprised at the presser. Effort may have been up on last week but quality in attack and defence was worse. Cronulla could have scored 40-50 with better goal kicking and not bombing tries while we barely looked like scoring all night.

Mitigation this week - lack of origin reps and general disruption due to injuries.

Hughes tried hard as did NAS and Papi - the latter on one leg. Brandon way off colour but rumour he was carrying something. Jessie Brom fairly innocuous and Josh King struggling too.

We simply have to beat the Raiders to be any hope of top two and getting things back on track…failing there and we are looking at 3-6 finish and finals lottery.

I suspect with the injuries winning the prem looks unlikely. Our back fill-ins are not good enough and the forwards don’t appear to likely make up for that In Brute force and go forward.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Most of my feelings have already been expressed in this thread.

I thought Olam had a crack and ran harder than most tonight, I've come to accept you'll get some errors from him but in a game like that at least he had a crack and tried to spark the team.

Only real shining light was Alex Macdonald... give the guy more game time.

Interesting what Craig will do now... hard to replace players when there is no one to replace them with? Maybe that's part of the reason which has lead to this complacency.

Anyway, next week we have Canberra at home... and I'll be there supporting the team, win/lose/rain/hail/shine.... I hope you all will too!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Looks like brain-dead Smith called the ref a cheat ::) .... you can think it, you can believe it, but you can't say it on the field ffs.
Possible ban coming his way.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b6b6384907
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/

Brandon Smith referred straight to judiciary.

Briton Nikora charged with grade 2 dangerous contact for hip drop on Kenny Bromwich. With early guilty plea 1 match, if fights and loses 2 matches.

Andrew Fifita charged with grade 1 dangerous throw on Brandon Smith. Early plea results in $1,000 fine and if he fights and loses will receive $1,500 fine.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:12 am Looks like brain-dead Smith called the ref a cheat ::) .... you can think it, you can believe it, but you can't say it on the field ffs.
Possible ban coming his way.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b6b6384907
Disgraceful behaviour by Smith......such an UN-Storm like action right there.

His solo efforts of brilliance this year have been outstanding but he clearly doesn't want to be playing in this team or for Storm.

I honestly think he could be an underwhelming presence for the Roosters as well (but lima lima lima duck them...what do we care about them).
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How is Fifita not getting suspended for such a deliberate attempt at hurting another player?! If it was Kaufusi, there'd be a lynch mob organised by now!!!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The year Smith has had is a great example of why players signing for a new club more than 12 months out is just ridiculous. This guy bled purple since he debuted but he's not the same guy this season.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:43 pm The year Smith has had is a great example of why players signing for a new club more than 12 months out is just ridiculous. This guy bled purple since he debuted but he's not the same guy this season.
Agreed. I'm not disappointed about losing any of the big-name Dolphins/Roosters recruits, only concerned about where we'll find their replacements. Our obvious lack of quality depth (and out of form starters) in this injury-riddled season is very concerning.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

How do we defend 12 on 13 for 10 minutes and only concede one try and the other 70 minutes concede 5?

On the performances of the last two weeks you'd have to think our chances are shot, geez I hope I'm proven wrong.