Storm Vs Panthers 7.45 pm 14th May

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:57 pm If Cooper Johns had a different surname, would he be selected? Hmm.
Doubt that's got anything to do with it, he just don't play with the blokes around him. I'll bet Hughes trained in that position all week and Johns is thrust the keys at the last minute and told to go out there and perform. No different to the times Joey / Thurston / Cronk etc were out, all those teams performed poorly. Johns today looked like a Rabbit in the headlights and the whole team were disjointed, hard to find any flickering, let alone shining lights. In my opinion only Grant can hold his head high, Tui for his limited time and Kafusi and Munster were good and Nelson seemed like he was hardly on the field.
TC, cannot agree more about Jesse
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What's the news on Brandon Smith? Big money bags goes missing again?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Jesse Captain thing isn’t even an experiment at this point. Bellamy knows Jesse’s limitations and seems reluctant to pull the job from him. With J Brom moving on next year, probably thinks he can ride it out without having to have a difficult conversation.

Unfortunately that will keep hurting us this year and stop Hughes or Paps getting experience with it this year.

* Armchair expert, not a super coach, I get it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Missing a couple of players means sweet FA. Can’t believe we let in so many points and we’re dominated so heavily.

Possession
Panthers - 62%
Storm - 38%

Completions
Panthers - 79%
Storm - 66%

Run Metres
Panthers - 1976
Storm - 996

Line Breaks
Panthers - 4
Storm - 0

Missed Tackles
Panthers - 31
Storm - 50 (34 in first half alone)

Missed Tackles
Grant - 9
Munster - 6
Johns - 5

Wishart - 4 errors (felt like 12).

Loiero made 96m, every other forward was less than 68m.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Let’s get serious - you take Cleary, Edwards, Fisher-Harris, Crichton and To’o out of the Penrith team and how effective would the Panthers be?

The conditions were awful. I was at the ground.

I saw the team and expected a heavy defeat. The league does not matter so long as we finish top 2. We can still lose one more game and stay 2nd. We saw in 20 and 21 how the minor perm does not equal premiership title.

Having said that it is painfully obvious before tonight, and more so now, that Johns and Seve are not NRL std.

The right edge was horrific defensively.

On the credit side, Munster put In a huge shift and it was good to have Tui back.

I wanted Lewis to play 3, Wishart 6 and Munster full back. 7 - probably Nikorima.

It would have taken something heroic to get anything out of tonight’s game and we got what we deserved.

We need to move on to the Cows and Hope Hughes is back. I am not sure about the 1. Meaney is a much safer choice and we just need to play anyone on the wing - Ieremia I would probably welcome back. The Falcons have wingers who can also do a job.
big_m
Squall
Squall

Quite a worrying performance for me. I knew we would lose before the game with the players out but didnt expect such a poor performance from the forwards. According to the stats jesse ran for 24m, which should be almost impossible for a starting front rower. I feel like we need tepai back as he can actually bend the line. Thought munster was exceptional - could have been very ugly if he wasnt there.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought the score line was a little deceiving but at 6-12 after 30 we were right back in the game. From minute 30 to 35 we had Olam error, Johns penalty, Olam penalty, Meaney penalty. Panthers go up 8 and that was all she wrote. Thought the lack of focus in the first half was troubling and we badly needed someone to stand up and give the team a rocket.

Conditions were awful. We had players out and was only a game in May so hard to be too worked up but it didn't look to me like we changed a lot from any other time we played Penrith. Two notable ones to me is we still struggled to defuse the kicks to their edges, Harry again had no room to work like in the prelim.

Penrith are really really good which can't be lost here. They'll go down as one of the best teams in the nrl era (if they're not there already).
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Take half the spine out of any team and they will struggle

Add to that a lack of leadership without Christian Welch (same as 2021 prelim) and whom I think is next up Jahrome and it compounds

I didn’t watch much - but from what I saw Munster can keep his head up.

I’m going a small change up next week.

Munster
Meaney
Lewis
Olam
Coates
Nikorima
Hughes
J Brom
Grant
NAS
Kaufusi
K Brom
King

Smith
Wishart
Loiero
Tui

I do want to see Warbrick and Eisenhuth play themselves in
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Blazza, do you notice how Penrith more than any other team manage to get tackled but keep the leg drive and moving forward? Absolutely no fault of theirs, the fault is every tackler wants to wrap the ball up but nobody drops around the legs and stop the movement. In this day of multiple tacklers they need to work out that three guys holding the man with the ball don't necessarily stop the movement.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

From the post-game presser, it sounds like Bellamy thinks Hughes will be missing for more than just this game, so there'll be no quick fix coming.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Jesse - 6 runs for 49 metres.

We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:21 pm
Jesse - 6 runs for 49 metres.

He went further backwards than that in every tackle he attempted
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Think you can say that outside of Smith (because of age and not his current form) we should be happy we're moving on from the veteran forwards who are leaving. The time is pretty right for a younger era to start. We just badly need to identify guys for those spots.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:17 am Think you can say that outside of Smith (because of age and not his current form) we should be happy we're moving on from the veteran forwards who are leaving. The time is pretty right for a younger era to start. We just badly need to identify guys for those spots.
Agreed - although would have liked one to say!

Kind of happy Brandon is going now for his sake. It’s a shame watching him not play Hooker now.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If he'd stayed he might be playing hooker