Storm Vs Panthers 7.45 pm 14th May

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I trust the development of him but I just find it a little odd that we’ve given Howarth a long term contract before the season but instead of bringing him in they’ve asked the nrl’s permission to play Seve instead. Would love to know why he’s not ready yet?

Do think our best chance while Paps is out is Munster at fullback. Very interested if that happens over the next month or so.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:45 pm I trust the development of him but I just find it a little odd that we’ve given Howarth a long term contract before the season but instead of bringing him in they’ve asked the nrl’s permission to play Seve instead. Would love to know why he’s not ready yet?

Do think our best chance while Paps is out is Munster at fullback. Very interested if that happens over the next month or so.
Yeah I'm with you. Not even in the 24. Yet he's signed for another 4 years after this. It's basically unprecedented. A 5 year deal for someone with 0 NRL games to their name. They reckon he's on half a mil from next year too.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:45 pm Do think our best chance while Paps is out is Munster at fullback. Very interested if that happens over the next month or so.
I lean towards this too with Johns, if he's fit, to finally have a crack in the halves. For me the only concerns with Munster at the back are his speed (or lack of), fitness and tackling. I'll get laughed off here because of his strength and ball stealing abilities but his hit and stick, well it just doesn't stick, he's helped out by those around him. On the other side Jahromes tackling is unbelievable.

Centre position is a very different problem, over to you Craig!
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Howarth isn't a natural centre. More dominant at second row. He hasn't dominated for the Thunderbolts either.
Cokanauto is the next centre at the club.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We. Want. WARBRICK

(is he off the injury list?)
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Garlick, Nikorima and Seve the only Storm listed players listed to play reserve grade. Bye again for the Thunderbolts.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cleary out with knee infection. Evens us right back up IMO.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's the coach Cleary who is not in Brisbane. Rumours spreading Hughes is out tonight.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ivan Cleary out with a knee infection isn't it? He missed last week with it.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Doesn't even us up at all - it's just their coach that is missing. If they were missing Nathan it would be a different story.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No Hughes is massive. Going to watch tonight and hope they give it their all. Result won't matter for mine. Itl be a character building game. Forwards need to step the truck up.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Confirmed Hughes is out with a calf injury.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep…a 3 try loss will be a great result sadly. Against most other teams I’d say our systems still work ok. Panthers are fairly brutal if you give them an inch.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This was going to be a slugfest either way but losing two guys (including Paps here) that can create something from nothing is a big blow. I'll be surprised if we score more than 10 points. Hopefully the defence can be good enough to make it respectable.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:02 pm This was going to be a slugfest either way but losing two guys (including Paps here) that can create something from nothing is a big blow. I'll be surprised if we score more than 10 points. Hopefully the defence can be good enough to make it respectable.
This is the only thing that annoys me about our team and RL in general. "Melbourne officials had hoped Hughes would be able to play but he failed a late fitness test" the club knew Jahrome was a chance of playing and therefore not playing. Does this mean the team have trained all week with whoever his replacement is? I think it stinks that a half can be out and a replacement is expected to step in and be effective, players needing to develop together and understand each others timing. If anyone listened to the Matty Johns podcast with Cooper Cronk this has just further emphasised this point.

Best of luck to the team tonight and if they win it will be a very meritorious victory.

On a slightly different note, isn't it amazing how the bookies (and the punters) had the Panthers so clearly favourites all week...