AAMI Park and other stadiums unavailable for large part of 2023

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One Friday and one Sunday at AAMI…..should be able to work around that I would have thought…
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:54 pm One Friday and one Sunday at AAMI…..should be able to work around that I would have thought…
Doesn't quite work like that unfortunately.
Stadiums get handed over to Fifa exclusively from 4 weeks before the first game until 1 week after the last. That's 8 weeks for AAMI park.

Interesting that the AFL and Vic Gov refused to hand over the MCG. Even more interesting that the NRL have known this was a possibility for months and don't have any plans in place...
“We are working with state governments, stadiums and impacted clubs about options that best suit them and their fans during the period where home venues are offline,” NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said.
“There will be additional complexities and challenges with next season’s draw, but the NRL and clubs will be innovative and work together as a game to ensure the best possible season continuity during this period."
i.e. "we don't have a clue what we are going to do!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:14 am
Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:54 pm One Friday and one Sunday at AAMI…..should be able to work around that I would have thought…
Doesn't quite work like that unfortunately.
Stadiums get handed over to Fifa exclusively from 4 weeks before the first game until 1 week after the last. That's 8 weeks for AAMI park.

Interesting that the AFL and Vic Gov refused to hand over the MCG. Even more interesting that the NRL have known this was a possibility for months and don't have any plans in place...
“We are working with state governments, stadiums and impacted clubs about options that best suit them and their fans during the period where home venues are offline,” NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said.
“There will be additional complexities and challenges with next season’s draw, but the NRL and clubs will be innovative and work together as a game to ensure the best possible season continuity during this period."
i.e. "we don't have a clue what we are going to do!

Hhmmm that is a problem then.

I obviously didn't realise it was as all encompassing as that....I hope we dont get stuck out a the shitty Docklands again for a few months.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly might be the better option. The only other real possibility for Victorian games is country/regional venues.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:16 pm Honestly might be the better option. The only other real possibility for Victorian games is country/regional venues.
And the only stadiums that come to mind are Simmonds Stadium in Geelong or Mars in North Ballarat. I've seen practice games in Geelong and it's dreadful for League.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Unless they're going to put a grandstand at Broadmeadows when they build that new training centre?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

There is a newly built square stadium in Donvale called Mullen Mullen, also there is meant to another one opening in Tarneit next year. They can play at Casey. All these would not hold big crowds. Could use marvel if the afl s agrees
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just take the games away …Sunshine Coast our second home would work
zonecadet
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

what about Bob Jane Stadium? At least it's in Melbourne. Holds about 12,000 and TBH that's not that much less than turn up to AAMI anyway and probably more than get to the Sunshine Coast. The NRL should program in a bye, maybe 3 home games and four away games during that time but we know they won't do a thing to ensure we fans get to see our team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is the same organisation that scheduled Billy Slater's 300th game in Perth (I know he didn't play round 1 and ended up playing it in Melbourne but not the point), I fully expect 'home' games in Sydney for us 🙄
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:59 pm This is the same organisation that scheduled Billy Slater's 300th game in Perth (I know he didn't play round 1 and ended up playing it in Melbourne but not the point), I fully expect 'home' games in Sydney for us 🙄
And, don't forget, this is the organisation which - after Storm missing the best part of two years of home games - schedules Storm as the "home" team for magic round in Brisbane.
And they make Manly v Brisbane an AWAY game for the Broncos at Suncorp.

I'm sure some of these people were dropped on their heads when they were children. :angry4:
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:21 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:59 pm This is the same organisation that scheduled Billy Slater's 300th game in Perth (I know he didn't play round 1 and ended up playing it in Melbourne but not the point), I fully expect 'home' games in Sydney for us 🙄
And, don't forget, this is the organisation which - after Storm missing the best part of two years of home games - schedules Storm as the "home" team for magic round in Brisbane.
And they make Manly v Brisbane an AWAY game for the Broncos at Suncorp.
I agree it's totally tish us playing the Panthers in Brisbane but Brisbane playing Manly at home as the away team makes perfect financial sense. I'm sure Melbourne Storm (the club) would love to play the Warriors twice at AAMI as both the home and away side.