If No Munster, Then Who?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Are we setting ourselves up to loose Munster with a lowball contract extension ( just like Souths did with Reynolds ) and if Braith Anasta gets his way and talks Munster into leaving who would be a likely replacement at number 6?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Phillip Island Storm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:34 pm Are we setting ourselves up to loose Munster with a lowball contract extension ( just like Souths did with Reynolds ) and if Braith Anasta gets his way and talks Munster into leaving who would be a likely replacement at number 6?
Nick Meaney could play the role to some degree but he’s no Cam Munster. It would be a role he’d have to work hard at but having Hughesy at half back would help.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Luke Brooks clearly needs a new start. Would be under heaps less pressure down here, but would probably need to take a fair pay cut himself. Do we have another look at Drinkwater? I know he's been far from convincing at the Cowboys but I always liked him.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The whole lowball talk is so ridiculous. He’d still be paid as much or more than any other 5/8th. His form completely dropped off last season, he has off field issues that may or may not come back and we’ve paid our other spine members similar money. We probably should let him move on regardless IMO.

As for who we replace him with. We could go young and groom the next great hope or target someone who needs a fresh start. For balance of the roster I assume it will be a cheapish replacement.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Back Jayden Nikorima to do the job. Pezet & Johns other options.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:50 am Luke Brooks clearly needs a new start. Would be under heaps less pressure down here, but would probably need to take a fair pay cut himself.
No!
Too old, too set in his (bad) habits. Won't win a game off his own bat.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

ALX22 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:58 am Back Jayden Nikorima to do the job. Pezet & Johns other options.
I’d back Cooper Johns. The guys at the club love him. He’s clearly second string and has put on a bit of size since debuting in 2020.

Other option could be Tyran Wishart who I think can play five-eighth?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wishart looks the obvious 14, with his ability to play hooker pivotal without Brandon next season. Nikorima to rival him for that position. Craig loves converting a fullback into a half. Does the thought of putting Meaney to fullback and Papenhuyzen to 5/8 enter his thoughts?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldn't think moving papenhuyzen would be a good idea for 2 reasons.

1. He's elite at fullback and I would class Meaney as solid there.
2. His history of concussions doesn't suggest putting him into a position to make 5x as many tackles is a great option.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I wouldn't do it either, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'll throw another one out there. Joey Manu to play 5/8? Reckon he's wasted at centre.
Barken1
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

If the storm followed what SOME of the afl clubs do maybe some of the HIGH PROFILE players would be willing to take a pay cut to keep him.
It can be & has been done.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Given munsters pay packet last year, this year and next, the offer he's been made looks a bit ordinary. But if you average out his current deal and the proposed one, he's going to average over 900k per season, that's pretty reasonable for a 5/8 really. In a way, he's kind of been forward loaded.
Add in his rep payments, his tpa potential etc and he's over a million a season.
It comes back to how much he wants money vs how much he wants to be part of a team that should realistically challenge for a premiership for the next 5 years.
Plenty of players have chased the dollars and missed out on opportunities at lesser clubs and gone on to resent their decision.
Gotta wonder how much JAC is loving his footy right about now (yeah, family reasons, but elite players don't really enjoy losing)