NAS refusing Covid 19 vaccine

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:31 pm This concerns me as the NRL will not mandate every player to have a vaccination. But under Victorian law any athlete using AAMI Park must be have double dose of the vaccination. So what happens if say the Dragons, for an example, are due to play Storm at AAMI Park and they have five unvaccinated players. Do the Dragons play without those players because the NRL say tough luck, does the NRL step in and get an exemption, does the NRL move the game to NSW/Queensland. This is not going to end well, I can feel it.
That’s how it is ..no unvaxxed player can play in any stadium in vic or qld so it’s the team with the unvaxxed player who loses out
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is anyone up to speed with the current laws that may or may not change on 16th December when the State of Emergency is over? I've got covid fatigue from the constant restrictions but would be interested to see how the 16th impacts NAS situation.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we knew deep down that NAS would eventually switch codes given his younger years.

However I am shattered his time with storm may be coming to an end like this

-------

The NRL looks set to lose one of their biggest names to rugby union.

It can be revealed two-time NRL premiership Storm prop and New Zealand international Nelson Asofa-Solomona is set to join the Japanese League One competition ahead of the 2023 season.

It is understood he will join Japanese powerhouse Panasonic Wild Knights, who are mentored by former Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

But as the 2m, 130kg giant prepares to say sayonara to rugby league, Rugby Australia are keeping a close eye on his movements and could yet offer him a short-term deal.

Asofa-Solomona, 25, has essentially been frozen out of the Storm because he is unvaccinated and by law any player in Victoria must be vaccinated.

The Storm have made numerous attempts to reach out to the prop over the past few months to try and resolve the situation but to no avail.

“I’m very hopeful ‘NAS’ will come back,” Storm captain Jesse Bromwich said last month.

“He’s a powerful man and a big part of our team.

“A lot of us boys care deeply for him and I’ve tried to reach out to him, but I didn’t get anything back.

“I know he’s got his beliefs around vaccination and it’s up to him, but we really want him to come back, so hopefully the matter resolves itself soon.”

Japan however has no such mandates in society and therefore is the perfect haven for someone who does not want to be vaccinated.

‘It’s not mandated here. We just have really strict protocols in place,” said one Wallaby, who is currently playing in the League One competition.

Asofa-Solomona, who was at his father’s funeral on Thursday, was a star in New Zealand rugby as a teenager.

The Wellington College forward can play at No.8 and in the second-row and was one of New Zealand’s most sought after schoolboy talents before joining the Storm.

Rugby Australia were asked whether they were interested in signing the wrecking-ball forward, who was in the top half-a-dozen second-rowers in the NRL.

They are interested in luring him to the game, with the carrot of a Wallabies jersey and, should he succeed, a chance to play at a World Cup.

But they will not break the bank to try and sign him for one season.

Even if Asofa-Solomona did agree to take a financial cut for a one-season stint, there are two reasons he will likely just commence his professional rugby career in Japan.

First, there are a number of promising back-rowers including Rob Valetini and Harry Wilson emerging and RA will not pay overs to try and entice him to the game.

Second, his anti-vaccination stance remains a worry, particularly for travel reasons.

Although there are vaccination clauses that can be used by the Super Rugby states, the preference is for all players to be vaccinated.

Deans’ Panasonic have long wanted another second row option.

It is understood the Japanese heavyweights tried to lure Wallaby Izack Rodda to the club.

While they also attempted to sign Queensland and Wallabies star Taniela Tupou, where they were willing to pay out his contract.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Brandon Smith has posted on Instagram and it looks like Nelson Asofa-Solomona is actually back with the Storm now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/s ... _training/
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NELSONS BACK BABY.

Whatever the case may be I'm bloody glad he's back in the mix. Must be extremely hard being isolated from your team so for his own wellbeing I am glad he's back.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Big Nasty!!!!!
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:12 pm NELSONS BACK BABY.

Whatever the case may be I'm bloody glad he's back in the mix. Must be extremely hard being isolated from your team so for his own wellbeing I am glad he's back.
Gee I hope this is real. I have been very saddened by the thought of NAS missing the season. It has really been casting a pall over my expectations for 2022. We need the big fella, and if he is back then I reckon everyone will have a spring in their step.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 pm
nacho wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:12 pm NELSONS BACK BABY.

Gee I hope this is real. I have been very saddened by the thought of NAS missing the season. It has really been casting a pall over my expectations for 2022. We need the big fella, and if he is back then I reckon everyone will have a spring in their step.
He came back today …it’s 100% real

Hope he doesn’t get given a trial yet …don’t like people who rock up last day of training expecting to play right away
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The club statement did its best to not say what we all want to know
Bartos
Squall
Squall

The Herald Sun today says he has a medical exemption
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not in the least bit surprised about that 🤦‍♀️