A Ref's thoughts on Cameron Smith

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In other words, he showed respect so he received it back.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:54 pm In other words, he showed respect so he received it back.
Exactly right- however , watch the Sydney commentary suggest it is cheating. They prefer the more Neanderthal approach of Robinson, Barrett and Hasler of belittling officials and blaming others for the failings of themselves and their teams .
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It's good to see a ref come out and explain why Cameron could do what he did and to speak so highly of him. No magic, no tricks, just a genuinely respectful bloke who had an amazing understanding of the mechanics of the game

This bit was probably my favorite
“The thing with Cameron – he did get a lot of airtime with referees – but he did it in a way that he’d come and talk to you on the field and you’d feel like pausing the game, ordering a couple of coffees or a couple of beers to have a chat about it.”
That right there shows the effect of being respectful and reasonable had on officials. There's a lot of other footy players who could learn from that.....
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lennart Bedrager got it in two, approached refs in a respectful manner and had an amazing understanding of the game.

A heap of captains have approached referees in an aggressive manner. I also have seen captains who have tried to convince the referee they are wrong, where I have sat at home and gone you won't win this argument because you don't know the rules.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Scooter wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 pm
A heap of captains have approached referees in an aggressive manner. I also have seen captains who have tried to convince the referee they are wrong, where I have sat at home and gone you won't win this argument because you don't know the rules.
Agreed. Interestingly, I don't think the Bulldogs ever won a penalty count with James Graham as captain after he and Klemmer went ballistic at Sutton.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know, what were they thinking making ear biter captain?

'So James, you've just committed a truly grubby act on a huge stage. Well, there's only one thing to do about that, well make you captain!' 🙄🙄🙄
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:53 pm I know, what were they thinking making ear biter captain?

'So James, you've just committed a truly grubby act on a huge stage. Well, there's only one thing to do about that, well make you captain!' 🙄🙄🙄
Griffin was recently considering making Jack De Belin acting captain.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well Paul Vaughn was gone I guess