RD 24 Storm vs Parramatta

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I thought it was bizarre that they partnered Olam and Reimis when JAC went off. I imagine they will go back to Ieremia as a direct swap for this week. But I wonder if it was earlier in the year if they would go with Lewis or Hynes/Papi at centre/wing instead?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I never for a second thought I would be considering Hynes as our best option heading into finals with a fit Papenhuyzen - a bloke who was one of the games best fullbacks, a certainty for Origin and who won a Clive Churchill last year. But I think I am there…

It would be a massive controversy in the game, but genuinely in pursuit of the title this year, it may be best to let Paps have an off-season to get that confidence in contact back, come back in 2022 ready to roll.

He is so timid it is hard to watch. Last year he was breaking tackles at will. Last night he had a single TB.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The timing of needing to get Paps back into things hasn't been great and I'm really not sure how we get him at his best with finals two weeks away. He showed signs of being his old self last week and even last night had a hand in some good play.

The answers would be a lot easier if Hynes' play didn't drop off as well.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

good news from the tribunal - Harry is let off and Brandon can accept a fine and Jessie only gets one week
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

I think the huge decision will be if paps even makes the side if starting Hynes is the best option for the team..

Like I just don’t see how he can be in the side, we need the size on the bench come finals against these big aggressive packs.

I feel for paps, big decision Bellamy has to make.

I honestly think

14. Grant
15. Tui
16. NAS
17. Lewis/Eisenhuth/Pene
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

six rings wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:24 pm good news from the tribunal - Harry is let off and Brandon can accept a fine and Jessie only gets one week
That's fantastic news. Meanwhile the $hitney media is already saying that Fox's season could be already over :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mstorm1999 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:44 pm I think the huge decision will be if paps even makes the side if starting Hynes is the best option for the team..

Like I just don’t see how he can be in the side, we need the size on the bench come finals against these big aggressive packs.

I honestly think

14. Grant
15. Tui
16. NAS
17. Lewis/Eisenhuth/Pene
I second this

A tough call this week is do you give Paps one last shot or do you start Nicho
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:48 pm
Mstorm1999 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:44 pm I think the huge decision will be if paps even makes the side if starting Hynes is the best option for the team..

I honestly think

14. Grant
15. Tui
16. NAS
17. Lewis/Eisenhuth/Pene
I second this

I think one of Bellamy's strengths is his loyalty, and for this alone I believe he will choose Paps
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree Bellamy is loyal to his own detriment
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:11 pm
Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:48 pm

I honestly think

14. Grant
15. Tui
16. NAS
17. Lewis/Eisenhuth/Pene
I second this

I think one of Bellamy's strengths is his loyalty, and for this alone I believe he will choose Paps
He will make the big call, remember Hoffs last season, Will Chambers last season?

If he thinks it is best, Craig will do it.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The current outcry about dropping Paps and reorganizing the back line fails to acknowledge one fact and any backline is as good as the time they have. I thought that the forwards were very well beaten which led to no time for any fluid backline movement on the edges or middle.

I'm not sure you can make a true decision on the full back role until the forwards actually win the battle allowing the backs to run.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Should be noted how much we've missed Nelson the last month. Even during the winning streak we've started slow many times and he's been the one to get us on top. And people like to talk about Brandon as the best 9 this year but him and NAS had such a good 1-2 punch off the bench for us. As good as the Lewis's and Eisenhuth's have been this season they aren't those dudes.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, both the guys with the ability to poke their nose through the line, find their front and get a quick play the ball away. That is the recipe for success in RL.

Whenever someone gets turtled onto their back, Bellamy blows up.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Cannot underestimate how much having NAS, Finucane and Tui Missing a lot of game time over the past 4 weeks has been. Especially with JBrom misfiring. I’ve been harping on about it at games - Finucane the most for his leadership too and extra he gets out of players.

Without the go forward players like Papi, Grant and Cheese will struggles. Hynes would have at 1 too on the past few weeks.

Our game is built around go forward then spread wide (esp left) at the right time. Last few weeks we have been lateral too early and Bellamy has referred to this in “taking easy options”. With the go forward we don’t have Olam needing to make silly passes and Munster trying to do everything.

I think what is critical is NAS, Finucane and Tui being right for finals. The team off their go forward will be good. I think thus includes Papi too…

Cronulla game - I agree rest people but not the big 3 middles if they are fit - they need game time and the side needs to play off the back of them.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Here's a fun but odd factoid (which means absolutely nothing).

What do all of the four premiership-winning seasons have in common?

In all of them, the Storm failed to beat the Eels during the regular season. Could be an omen?