Round 22 - Storm vs Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forgive me for going back in time a decade...

We've been saying this stuff ever since Steve Turner days. This has been how teams scored against us, not much changes just the players who occupy the wings. We didn't care or notice that much when Suli was in the position as he was far quicker, stronger and had superior reach and could close the space compared to almost every winger we've ever had.

Turner and Dean share many of the same qualities and unfortunately must defend the same.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Ugly win

2nd half poor ball control and discipline close to costing us the game after a decent first half.

NAS and Tui plus Finucane missed - all 3 give the middle more oomph and stiffen up the defence.
Ieremia taking stick but the right side D as a whole needs work.
Saw Lumelume warming up - what a beast, why can’t he get a game? Looked good in 2020.

On a positive note Grant and Cheese were excellent, J Brom was much more solid and Welch was his usual tireless self. Nicho had some nice moments and Paps was solid in contact - should have had more game time and been on before HT.

Take the W, move on

Oh - CHN - you’re a grub. See you in 2022. Fair pay to Rapana and Tapine for standing over Hughes to keep the melee off him.
til0011
Squall
Squall

SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 am Ugly win

2nd half poor ball control and discipline close to costing us the game after a decent first half.

NAS and Tui plus Finucane missed - all 3 give the middle more oomph and stiffen up the defence.
Ieremia taking stick but the right side D as a whole needs work.
Saw Lumelume warming up - what a beast, why can’t he get a game? Looked good in 2020.

On a positive note Grant and Cheese were excellent, J Brom was much more solid and Welch was his usual tireless self. Nicho had some nice moments and Paps was solid in contact - should have had more game time and been on before HT.

Take the W, move on

Oh - CHN - you’re a grub. See you in 2022. Fair pay to Rapana and Tapine for standing over Hughes to keep the melee off him.
I don’t care what anyone says but Welch was easily one of our best, not many mistakes good defensive efforts and he seemed to be a one man army in our forward pack.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think anyone is arguing about Welch. He's a real shot at player of the year for mine.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:30 am Forgive me for going back in time a decade...

We've been saying this stuff ever since Steve Turner days. This has been how teams scored against us, not much changes just the players who occupy the wings. We didn't care or notice that much when Suli was in the position as he was far quicker, stronger and had superior reach and could close the space compared to almost every winger we've ever had.

Turner and Dean share many of the same qualities and unfortunately must defend the same.
That's why Sisa Waqa's 2012 GF effort is one we will always remember.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nacho wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:30 am Forgive me for going back in time a decade...

Wing defence always starts in the middle and relies on people pushing out and everyone having confidence on the inside man to do their job. Chambers and Suli would frustratingly needlessly run in and arrive after acceptances.
(Thoughts of a frustrated winger who occasionally would be left high and dry!)
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

In this argument about right side defence, I suggest Kafusi is also part of the current problem under a condensing defence. From time to time, he needlessly moves in on a ball carrier making Hughes Smith and the winger follow him meaning the ball carrier throws a long cutout pass to a outside runner who scores in clear space.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

agree with this Kafusi needs to stay in his position although that is what Bellamy must be teaching him to do.

I remember all the way back to losing the Grand final v the Roosters, they scored their tries the same way Canberra did last night, so it doesn't matter who plays there, our system seems to be able to be breached too easy but that is what Bellamy must be coaching them to do.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How many high shots did Sutton let slide in this game!?? He contributed to the horrific shot on Jahrome by not pulling the grubby Raiders up early on.

What happened to, “we have to protect players. Head injuries are devastating and we need a strong stance. This isn’t going away, blah blah blah”.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Corey Harawira-Naera Will only receive 3 weeks on the sideline and if he chooses to challenge and loses then he cops 4 weeks. Sounds like a bit of a soft penalty. In my opinion he should have received between 6-8 weeks. That would set a precedent that if you are careless, then there are big consequences for your actions.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm_M_36 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:12 pm Corey Harawira-Naera Will only receive 3 weeks on the sideline and if he chooses to challenge and loses then he cops 4 weeks. Sounds like a bit of a soft penalty. In my opinion he should have received between 6-8 weeks. That would set a precedent that if you are careless, then there are big consequences for your actions.
He did get that sentence. He was just eligible for a 25% reduction due to clean history.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just on the right defensive edge and why they concede more than the left (IMO of course).

I think it’s a few reasons;

1. Attacking teams tend to favour their left anyway, because it is easier throwing fast passes right to left (for most players). So it creates space easier. They also likely prefer holding the ball in their left, fending with their dominant hand.

2. The half and backrower need to make good, early decisions in order for everyone else to have time to push off and slide out. Cronk was often the starting point for defensive issues down that side.

The rest of the issues can be chalked up to the risk/reward nature of playing up and in defence.

We are still conceding sweet FA tries compared to other teams. Our right defensive edge just concedes much more than our left. I also wouldn’t be too keen running anywhere near Olam on a sweeping backline play :lol:

Decision making on an edge is tough, as you are often dealing with the opposition injecting their fullback, creating an overlap.

When our centre and winger do jam in, they have to do it early enough to put heaps of pressure on (Dean had one good example last night) and also, they have to hit and stick. You cannot jam in and miss your man/let him get outside of you.

If you do all that and they are still good enough to get the ball to the winger - all power to them. History shows that it won’t be often enough to win games though.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:21 am

That's why Sisa Waqa's 2012 GF effort is one we will always remember.
Sisa must have been close to Clive Churchill medal that night.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:20 pm Just on the right defensive edge and why they concede more than the left (IMO of course).

I think it’s a few reasons;

1. Attacking teams tend to favour their left anyway, because it is easier throwing fast passes right to left (for most players). So it creates space easier. They also likely prefer holding the ball in their left, fending with their dominant hand.

2. The half and backrower need to make good, early decisions in order for everyone else to have time to push off and slide out. Cronk was often the starting point for defensive issues down that side.

The rest of the issues can be chalked up to the risk/reward nature of playing up and in defence.

We are still conceding sweet FA tries compared to other teams. Our right defensive edge just concedes much more than our left. I also wouldn’t be too keen running anywhere near Olam on a sweeping backline play :lol:

Decision making on an edge is tough, as you are often dealing with the opposition injecting their fullback, creating an overlap.

When our centre and winger do jam in, they have to do it early enough to put heaps of pressure on (Dean had one good example last night) and also, they have to hit and stick. You cannot jam in and miss your man/let him get outside of you.

If you do all that and they are still good enough to get the ball to the winger - all power to them. History shows that it won’t be often enough to win games though.
Yourhero I am assuming / hoping your name is Mike. Otherwise, someone just plagiarised your comments on The Storm Family Facebook page.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:51 pmYourhero I am assuming / hoping your name is Mike. Otherwise, someone just plagiarised your comments on The Storm Family Facebook page.
It is mate

All good, I plagiarised myself and just copy/pasted here given a similar conversation was unfolding.

But in my own mind, I make such amazing poignant points that people would steal it anyway :lol: