NRL 2021: Radical proposal opens door for MCG to host first NRL grand final

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Source: News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Suncorp Stadium was widely regarded as the front runner to host this year’s NRL grand final but Melbourne’s push has friends in high places.

League Super Saturday panel to discuss the NRL being stuck in the Queensland snap lockdown.

A historic grand final at the MCG with the lure of 80,000 fans is being strongly considered by the NRL.

In the wake of the NRL’s relocation of teams to Queensland, Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium was widely regarded as the frontrunner to host the 2021 NRL grand final for the first time.

However, the chaotic and unpredictable Covid-19 pandemic has led the NRL to exploring alternate options and venues that could host the biggest game of the year.

And it’s Melbourne’s famous cricket ground that the NRL are eager to pursue.

The stunning success of the Melbourne Storm and loyalty to the Victorian Government, who were forced to abandon their hosting rights of State of Origin this year, are two major factors behind the NRL’s interest in shifting the grand final out of Sydney for the first time in the game’s history.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has been vocal in the past about his intention to repay the loyalty of the Victorian Government after they lost Origin I due to a spike in Covid cases in Melbourne last May.

The Storm, equal-first on the NRL ladder with Penrith ahead of this weekend, are in the eyes of many set for another grand final appearance.

The Storm are $2.30 with the TAB to win the 2021 premiership. If Covid-19 protocols allow it at the time, the NRL are confident they could attract a stadium of between 80,000 to 90,000 supporters at the MCG — almost double what Suncorp Stadium can hold.

Former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has revealed a radical $2.5m proposal, which would see the AFL Grand Final played at the MCG in front of 100,000 fans, is being discussed by government and AFL heavy-hitters.

The AFL grand final is scheduled to be held at the MCG on September 25 with the NRL grand final slated for October 5. The NRL haven’t ruled out playing the premiership-decider in Sydney either.

McGuire said there would be 200 Covid testing locations for players, officials and fans upon arrival to the MCG using the new Rapid Antigen Tests, which can reveal results within 10 minutes and be linked to an attendee’s ticket at QR code tracing.
More Coverage
V’landys breaks silence as Covid chaos threatens NRL season Bennett’s warning: Covid robbing NRL of future stars

“It would mean every person in there, from workers to players to patrons, would come in, all the testing stations – so you would come in to Punt Road, be tested and sit in the stand, you could go into Margaret Court Arena, Rod Laver Arena – be tested,’’ McGuire said.

“Once you’re in, then what we could is put carnivals, we could have food trucks, we could turn it into something absolutely sensational.”

This would be cool to have the GF at the MCG, but our Dictator doesn't deserve to have NRL's showpiece in Melbourne.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Really interesting until you outed yourself as a flog in the last line.

Yeah, let's not have the GF in Melbourne cos you don't like the Premier.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Lucas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:55 am Really interesting until you outed yourself as a flog in the last line.

Yeah, let's not have the GF in Melbourne cos you don't like the Premier.
I can hear the spin already 'We have secured the NRL GF because we are the only state in Aus that has had 5 lock downs. But don't worry "I can't remember or recall" that ever happening and neither should the people of Victoria'. Our gold standard hotel quarantine has saved the world and the NRL have also agreed with this statement.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm here to talk about NRL and the Storm. Why are you here? To pedal your political bullshit.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Righto, you keep telling yourself that :)
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:31 am I'm here to talk about NRL and the Storm. Why are you here? To pedal your political bullshit.
Agreed. Getting a bit old. Read a few times on here complaining about Daniel Andrews, lockdowns etc. It's fine if you don't like him but stop posting about it in here.

Anyway having the game at the MCG would be an awesome result. Can you imagine how angry people in Queensland would be about this though and the circumstances surrounding it? They've been crying out for the GF at Suncorp for years.

On another note, has anyone here watched league (or union for that matter) at a cricket ground before?

I've been to a few at the SCG it's a... Weird experience to say the least haha.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was at that game against st George where we won 70-10, it was certainly different
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I was at the Origin game at the G a few years ago. 4th level of the southern stand. I only know who won because I saw the news later on. You're just too far away up there.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Especially when comparing a purpose built stadium like AAMI Park to an AFL ground. It’s a big difference to the enjoyment of attending a game.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 pm Especially when comparing a purpose built stadium like AAMI Park to an AFL ground. It’s a big difference to the enjoyment of attending a game.
Agree Have it at AAMI and fill it with 27,000 storm members and the away team and the occasional attendees can share the remaining tickets. That's if Storm make the GF of course. If not hold it at the MCG and see how many turn up.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

riders of the storm wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:06 pm On another note, has anyone here watched league (or union for that matter) at a cricket ground before?
Union and Sevens at Darklands, 70-10 rout against the Dragons in 2000, Oki Jubilee / Kogara, circular venues are just crap. At least at Oki the Dragons were on the end of another hiding and Cooper had had enough of the heckling by his own fans and fired back, from the in goal while waiting for the conversion! Hahaha, Dragons fans are funny.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:03 pm I was at that game against st George where we won 70-10, it was certainly different
That was such a great game to be at. A truly memorable night. 8)
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I still remember the roar when Howe? flattened Mundine
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

TC wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:03 pm I was at that game against st George where we won 70-10, it was certainly different
That was such a great game to be at. A truly memorable night. 8)
I remember how bloody wet it was
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would be pretty ironic the game being at the mcg when we have only had 5 games in Melbourne all year