Round 19 - Cowboys vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Friday 23rd July
7:55pm
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville

13th vs 1st.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

54-8 final score
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last two meetings;
Round 18 2020 - Sunshine Coast Stadium - Win - Cowboys 20 - Storm 36
Round 25 2019 - AAMI Park - Win - Storm 24 - Cowboys 16

Form Guide (Last 5 Games)

Storm - 5 Wins
W - Storm 48 - Knights 4
W - Roosters 0 - Storm 46
W - Storm 66 - Tigers 16
W - Warriors 16 - Storm 42
W - Storm 20 - Titans 14

Points For: 222 (44.4pg)
Points Against: 50 (10pg)

Cowboys - 5 Losses
L - Cowboys 18 - Roosters 34
L - Rabbitohs 46 - Cowboys 18
L - Knights 38 - Cowboys 0
L - Cowboys 24 - Sharks 26
L - Sea Eagles 50 - Cowboys 18

Points For: 78 (15.6pg)
Points Against: 194 (38.8pg)

We have played the Cowboys 41 times in our history, winning 31 of those games (76%). We have won the last eleven games on the trot against the Cowboys.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:13 amStorm - 5 Wins
Points For: 222 (44.4pg)
Points Against: 50 (10pg)

Cowboys - 5 Losses
Points For: 78 (15.6pg)
Points Against: 194 (38.8pg)
Those stats don't paint a pretty picture for the Cows in this game... Especially with Valentine Holmes out as well. The Cows have been leaking points like a sieve.

To be fair though, they have had to play Sea Eagles, Rabbitohs, Roosters and now us in a 6 week period. Tough part of the draw for them.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our schedule's been weird with those couple of off weeks so I'm not sure if we will but could easily rest a few guys for this one.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 am Our schedule's been weird with those couple of off weeks so I'm not sure if we will but could easily rest a few guys for this one.
Agreed. Might not be this game, but as the other players return - Harry, NAS, JAC, Welch, Paps - I reckon Bellamy will give some blokes a rest as we gear up for Finals.

Finucane will almost certainly miss this game. Brandon will need a spell soon as well.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

What do you’s think would be our strongest backline now that Jennings is gone for the next 6 weeks.

I know Hynes has been superb at fullback and he needs a spot in the side but I don’t know if shifting him to centre or wing is the go, just cause he plays so great at fullback doesn’t mean his the best choice for centre/wing.

I don’t think Hynes would provide as much impact running the ball back doing the tough yards like brenko or dean would.

I personally think keep dean on the wing or bring brenko back into centre which he did so well at last year running the ball and defensively.

1. Paps
2. Leremia
3. Reimis
4. Olam
5. Addo Carr

Or

1. Paps
2. Reimis
3. Lee
4. Olam
5. Addo Carr

I personally think stick with one of these options, I know hynes has has been superb but playing centre or wing is different to fullback and I don’t think he will offer as much impact as the other to in terms of doing the hard runs out of our own end.

Leaning towards Lee as his played in big games his played origin his played finals and played in the grand final last year.

But hey I’d love to be proven wrong!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For the next two or three weeks, I'd go;

1. Hynes
2. Ieremia
3. Smith
4. Olam
5. JAC
14. Paps

Before (pending how Paps goes) hopefully settling on;

1. Paps
2. Ieremia
3. Smith
4. Olam
5. JAC
14. Hynes

And if Jennings can get his knee right in time for Finals, I think he has done enough to slot straight back in for Ieremia.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cowboys side that went down 34-18 to the Roosters last week;

3. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
19. Javid Bowen
4. Connelly Lemuelu
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Scott Drinkwater
7. Tom Dearden
8. Francis Molo
9. Reece Robson
10. Jordan McLean
11. Shane Wright
12. Mitch Dunn
13. Jason Taumalolo (c)

14. Jake Granville
15. Tom Gilbert
16. Coen Hess
17. Peter Hola

21. Daejarn Asi

Javid Bowen unfortunately tore his ACL and MCL in the game.

Cowboys missed 58 tackles last week (Drinkwater missed 9 alone).
Storm missed 26 tackles last week (Munster missed 5).
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ugh I've tried to wrap my head around how we fit in everyone if Paps can play again and I do not envy the coaching staff.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Anybody else going to the match? Have you seen where the wankers have put the away team supporters? On level 2 in the very corner of the stadium!! No thanks!! I managed to get a ticket behind the goals. Maybe, we need to put our away bay on level 3 at AAMI, if this is how they treat us. First time going to Townsville Stadium ( I know it has another silly name) but Townsville stadium sounds better :).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... to-return/

Cowboys v Storm: New centre needed; NAS, Foxx, Welch to return
NRL.com
Mon 19 Jul 2021

The Melbourne juggernaut rolled on with a 14th win on the trot as they put paid to Newcastle at the Gold Coast.

In stark contrast, the Cowboys slumped to a fifth straight loss as they surrendered an early 12-0 lead before going down 34-18 to the Roosters.

Despite the fact they sit just one win outside the eight the Cowboys have a vastly inferior points differential to the other sides in the logjam from seventh to 12th, having conceded a tick under 40 points per game in their past five outings.

Even in the absence of Ryan Papenhuyzen, Christian Welch, Harry Grant and Nelson Asofa-Solomona the Storm still ran eight tries past the Knights and in the process posted 40 points or more for the 11th time this season.

The Rundown

Team news
Cowboys: Javid Bowen (ACL/MCL) has been lost for the season and will have surgery in the coming weeks with an expected recovery period of eight-to-nine months, leaving coach Todd Payten to search for a new centre.

Rookie back-rower Heilum Luki is available for selection after serving a one-match suspension while hooker Reuben Cotter (foot) and utility Ben Hampton (pectoral) have been pencilled in for round 19 returns.

Storm: Melbourne have a vacancy to fill on one wing with George Jennings (knee) expected to miss at least a month after going down having scored a double during the big win over Newcastle.

Lock Dale Finucane failed a HIA during the Knights clash and will need to pass through concussion protocols if he is to take on North Queensland.

Prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona is back from suspension and should return along with winger Josh Addo-Carr and Christian Welch, who were both rested post-Origin III, while back-up hooker Tyson Smoothy (knee) could also be available for selection.

Meanwhile, the wait continues for signs of a return from Maroons rake Harry Grant (hamstring) and first-choice fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen (concussion).

Key match-up

Tom Dearden v Jahrome Hughes: Cowboys coach Todd Payten was full of praise for his halfback's efforts against the Roosters, describing it as the former Bronco's best game since joining the club in June. Dearden came up with one line break, one line-break assist and a try assist as he asked plenty of questions of the Roosters defence but he'll need to go to another level again to break down the purple wall. Hughes also earned rave reviews from his coach for another polished display against the Knights and he's the perfect link man between the Storm's all-star backline and their powerhouse pack.

Stat attack
Since the Storm and Cowboys squared off in the 2017 grand final they have met on five occasions and the men from Melbourne have won all five, including a 36-20 victory at Sunshine Coast Stadium last year.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team named;

1. Nicho Hynes
2. Dean Ieremia
3. Reimis Smith
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cooper Johns
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. Christian Welch
11. Chris Lewis
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Tui Kamikamica

14. Aaron Booth
15. Aaron Pene
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Trent Loiero
19. Jordan Grant
20. Isaac Lumelume
21. Marion Seve
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ieremia replaces Jennings (JAC back on his wing).
Johns replaces Munster.
Lewis replaces Kaufusi.
Welch replaces Dale.
NAS and Paps back via bench.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cowboys team named;

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Murray Taulagi
4. Connelly Lemuelu