Blow outs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mofo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I know its not concerning us at the moment but does anyone think its a worry for the game that there are so many blow out wins? Is it because of the rule changes? I'm not sure, but tv rights drive the finances of the game and if people are switching off that can't be a good thing. As I say, I'm happy to be on the right end of the results but I can't remember a season so lopsided.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Everyone is blaming the rules but I’m skeptical that is what it is. Against the Tigers we didn’t get a set restart before we were up by like 30? And we only had two all game.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It is concerning though for the game more broadly though. Maybe the other teams can just focus on getting better <shrug>.

I don’t want to see them bring Melbourne down in an attempt to even the playing field. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the tactic…

After all, the 6 again rule was targeted at bringing us back to the field. That backfired didn’t it Sydney :lol:
Mofo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Yeah it is funny mate when they brought the 6 again rule in they thought it was great because it would be bad for us, but now the opposite has occurred they want to get rid of it!
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

There is an extraordinary lopsided set of results in the competition this year. Right now I am watching what looks to be the 3rd thrashing of the day. It is an indictment on the comp when the 5th best team gets smashed 46-0, as the Roosters did on Thursday night . Still, as others have said , if we can win the whole thing again then that will be fine by me!

The thing that stands out most for me is that we continue to dominate without engaging in the buying frenzy of proven players that the northern clubs indulge in. Our right centre and and winger are blokes who last year could not get a regular spot in lesser teams . They are the latest of many many examples. It is an extraordinary system that we have down here. Manly look a million bucks with Tommy, likewise Penrith with Cleary, and tonight Newcastle with Ponga - without them they are awful. However our system seems to survive the absence of so many of our stars . Incredible !
Mofo
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It just proves also what a great coach Bellsa is because he has guided as through the changes so successfully.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Is it simply that the competition is so very badly lopsided?
I don't rate Penrith and I rate Parra even less but they somehow kept on winning. My belief is the rest of the competition teams are absolutely rubbish and it really is a one horse race this year, a comp for us to lose. The only real opposition on the big day will need (and get) a big leg up from the oppositions 14th player, the fellow with the whistle.

And, am I the only person who felt like Penrith were being helped to a victory on Friday night by the (dubious / what for) six again calls?

Happy Rugba League!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Anyone that has watched RL even for a small period of time knows what is coming next…

The pressure on the NRL will flow down to the referees and we will see even more dubious calls to teams that are struggling, so the competition is closer. Maybe not this round or next, but it’s coming. Guaranteed.

It’s what happened in the GF last year after we blew them away to start.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:15 am Anyone that has watched RL even for a small period of time knows what is coming next…

The pressure on the NRL will flow down to the referees and we will see even more dubious calls to teams that are struggling, so the competition is closer. Maybe not this round or next, but it’s coming. Guaranteed.

It’s what happened in the GF last year after we blew them away to start.
Isn't it funny how history has a habit of repeating itself, I just hope we can be far enough ahead to overcome any dubiousness.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's reminding me of the old under 20s comp, all attack and defence be damned
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:50 pm It's reminding me of the old under 20s comp, all attack and defence be damned
Well I guess it’s mostly the under 20s now playing nrl
til0011
Squall
Squall

Poor Management as well. Us and the Panthers are run like well oiled machines (who wouldve thought that about panthers a few years ago) while the rest of the comp is still fiddling with big signings and recruiting it feels like development of players is being put to the side in favour of building super teams. Maybe other teams are scared they will end up like the West Tigers and have all their talent poached. Thats my opinion at the moment, the rule changes is just an excuse for lesser sides I guess. Idk
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Extremely worrying. The game is suffering due to the new rules.
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

A bit late to this thread - but it's a direct result of the new rules. Tackles are over in 2 in seconds out of fear of giving away a set restart. The wrestle of the game is gone and teams charge up field in no time. Six-agains are a bonus for the attacking team - but for clubs such as ours and Penrith all we need is a quick play the ball to get going.

To be honest I miss the wreslte - but other fans + media sooked about us wrestling too much which contributed to this new rule being introduced. Now look. We are better than ever while the rest are being left behind.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Read an article somewhere recently that proposed a rule change that may help balance it a bit more is to make the scoring team kick-off after a try. Sounded like an interesting proposition that would at least give the defending team some time with the ball. Would probably need to trial it in U20s or NSW/QLD Cup to see how it would work.