Round 16 - Roosters vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:10 pm Peter 'If I only had an opinion of my own' V'Landys is the most reactionary admin I've ever seen. No thoughts of his own, just copies the numbnuts Sydney media. I really don't understand the hype around him.
The hype is purely driven by the same media that he panders to! He is the definition of a populist, but that approach will just come back to bite him because what the fans think they want, and what they actually want, are not the same thing.

Kent, Hooper and co. will continue to spruik him as the greatest because they were the ones that got him the gig in the first place, and they have a direct line to the boss.
Utha
Squall
Squall

The myopic, insular mentality of the Sydney RL mafia here and the RFL in England may be what ends up killing the game.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/i- ... 586bh.html

Good on Welch here, should be demanding a retraction from both Robinson and Alexander for the garbage they've pedalled here.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:37 am https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/i- ... 586bh.html

Good on Welch here, should be demanding a retraction from both Robinson and Alexander for the garbage they've pedalled here.
Link not working (for me only?)
Can you copy the article please?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m disappointed with the commentary’: Welch defends Walker hit
Christian Nicolussi
By Christian Nicolussi
July 2, 2021 — 1.45pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Christian Welch has hit back at critics, including Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson, for questioning his brutal but legal shot on Sam Walker.

Robinson was upset with Welch’s hit on Walker during Thursday night’s 46-0 thumping by the Storm, even though the Melbourne prop wasn’t penalised or cited by the match review committee.

Play Video

Joey, Guys raise concerns over 'targeted' Sam Walker
Play video
1:52

Joey, Guys raise concerns over 'targeted' Sam Walker

Roosters' teen prodigy Sam Walker is getting "absolutely battered" by oppositions in his stellar breakout year in top-flight footy, but it's the brutal lessons he learns now that will put him in "good stead" later in his career.

“I didn’t like that [Welch] challenge, the kicking one,” Robinson said.

“He [Walker] kicked the ball and got hit in the head after he kicked the ball. But I’m sick of talking about Roosters players and head contact. I’m sick of it.”

Greg Alexander also took aim at Welch when he asked during the Fox Sports commentary: “Do you think that Christian Welch is obliged to be a bit more careful with his head? I know no one goes out on purpose to make contact head on head, but it’s a careless play from Welch.”

Speaking with the Herald on Friday, Welch said: “I’ve been a bit disappointed with some of the commentary around the tackle. I wrapped my arms and I wasn’t late. I also wasn’t charged.

Sam Walker was on the end of a few brutal shots against Melbourne.
Sam Walker was on the end of a few brutal shots against Melbourne.CREDIT:GETTY

“Greg Alexander’s comments were disappointing. With my concussion history why would I want to lead with my head?

“It’s an incredibly fast and fatiguing sport, especially with the new rules; it was just an accidental clash.

“I do find it interesting there was more talk of my legal tackle than the Roosters forward [Daniel Suluka-Fifita] who was [sin-binned] for foul play on one of our halves.

“I didn’t hit him high. My head accidentally collided with his. There was certainly no intention there.”

Walker has become a target for opposition sides because of his size and his well-documented shoulder problems.

Christian Welch smashes Sam Walker in the second half on Thursday night.
Christian Welch smashes Sam Walker in the second half on Thursday night.

Phil Gould even suggested during the Nine commentary the teenager would be best served given a short spell, but Welch again disputed the experts’ view and said he would only benefit from the week-to-week grind.

Walker also somehow survived a decent whack from Justin Olam two minutes before full-time.

“He’s a tough kid who is a very, very good player already who will be playing Origin in the near future,” Welch said.

“He’s a tough operator, we got to him a couple of times, but he gets straight up and makes the next play for his team.

“Sam’s a threat for the Roosters and everyone is aware of the talent he has and the future he’s got.

A melee breaks out after Welch’s challenge on Walker.
A melee breaks out after Welch’s challenge on Walker.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

“At the end of the day one of my main jobs is to pressure the halves when they’re playing into the line or kicking the ball. This allows our edges to make better defensive decisions and our back three to get an easier catch on the ball to start our sets in a better position.

“I don’t know how his body is pulling up each week and if he needs a spell, but he keeps backing up and performing, so the experience he is getting right now is invaluable. There’s also no [reserve grade] because of COVID at the moment, so he’s learning and getting better each week.”
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Good on ya Welchy. Robbo and Alexander, go suck a fart!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:02 am Good on ya Welchy. Robbo and Alexander, go suck a fart!
Channel 9 surprisingly found no fault with the tackle
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Trent Robinson is an absolute hypocrite. Damning Christian over an accidental head clash, but completely fails to condemn his player who deliberately shoulder-charged Munster to the head.
It's all "poor Tedesco" when he falls into tackles, but we don't hear a peep when Radley tries to take people's heads off.

If Robinson was legit, he would come out and recognise that the Rooster's biggest problem with head knocks is poor tackling technique. Not even the most ardent Roosters' fans are suggesting that illegal hits to the head ended Cordner and Friend's careers - both of them collected their repeated concussions by getting their heads in the wrong place in tackles. Ultimately, that's down to the Rooster's coaching team.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Trying to be as impartial as a one-eyed Storm supporter can be - I'm not sure whether those complaining were complaining about the head clash, as head clashes occur, rather the forcefulness of the tackle

To the letter, you cannot tackle the kicker, either - high, late or in a dangerous manner.

My initial reaction to the Welch tackle was that it was legal, but a tad heavy-handed and by my way of thinking, a tackle not really in the spirit of how kickers are generally tackled, post kick. Welch did sling the guy to the ground, probably the end result all the more awkward in its execution because of the head clash.

It was understandable the opposition remonstrated, but the judiciary has the final word - no case to answer.

Robinson, frankly, should stfu.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:56 pmTrying to be as impartial as a one-eyed Storm supporter can be - I'm not sure whether those complaining were complaining about the head clash, as head clashes occur, rather the forcefulness of the tackle

To the letter, you cannot tackle the kicker, either - high, late or in a dangerous manner.

My initial reaction to the Welch tackle was that it was legal, but a tad heavy-handed and by my way of thinking, a tackle not really in the spirit of how kickers are generally tackled, post kick. Welch did sling the guy to the ground, probably the end result all the more awkward in its execution because of the head clash.
So forcefulness of the tackle was an issue for you? You can't tackle too hard? Were you equally put off by the Olam tackle? Heavy-handed, spirit, sling to the ground and awkward - are all emotive descriptions, none of which have any ties to the rule book. Kickers are often hit hard as they kick the ball. The rule has been very clear that you cannot take the legs of the kicker and you need to be making a wrapping tackling action. Welch did exactly that.
Kettles wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:56 pmIt was understandable the opposition remonstrated
Due to the above, I completely disagree on this. If the tackle is legal, there is no need to remonstrate. It is poor form and just starting trouble because "the tackle was too hard". The referee was exactly right in telling Tedesco that the tackle was fine and there was no need to attack a Storm player over the legal tackle.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

He was slung to the ground after the kick . The salient point that needs to be made is that generally, kicker tackles are dealt out, less severely. I understand why they remonstrated. If you can’t - it’s your prerogative, but It’s a poor analogy to draw any comparison between the Olam tackle on Walker’s pass tackle (that no one remonstrated with) and Welch’s tackle after a kick (which most Roosters did).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kettles wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:31 amIt’s a poor analogy to draw any comparison between the Olam tackle on Walker’s pass tackle (that no one remonstrated with) and Welch’s tackle after a kick (which most Roosters did).
I don't particularly want to argue the point - I guess we just see it differently and agree to disagree... but I think the comparison was fair. For the last few years, the commentary around playmakers being hit as/after they pass has received significant attention. The primary point (much like kickers) is that the passer is in a vulnerable position. But just like the Welch tackle, the Olam one was NOT late. No arm or shoulder contact with the head. Just a strong, legal tackle.

Just curious, if Welch's head didn't make contact with Walker but the tackle is otherwise identical, would you still take issue with it?
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Not especially, because Walker would have had his full faculties without a head clash and the tackle would have looked way less awkward and clumsy. Again, kicker tackles are generally soft affairs, kickers more often than not will get guided to a soft landing by the tackler. Taking all question of legalities or otherwise out of the argument, it WAS appreciably more forceful than we are accustomed to seeing in recent years.

Above all, Robinson should just STFU especially as the referee saw nothing illegal with the tackle.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

In relation to the hype about the Welch tackle from Alexander, I'd also suggest that you consider that Welch will play for Qld and Justin Olam wont. I'm sure that his role of being a NSW selector had nothing to do with the outburst.