Round 14 - Warriors vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sunday 13th June
4:00pm Kick-off
Central Coast Stadium, Gosford

9th vs 2nd. After I expected a huge victory last week my confidence has been shattered. We may get a few Origin players back, but the way Craig has been talking about it, I think he is leaning towards resting them - or at least a chunk of them. On top of that, we face more injury and suspension issues.

If we can keep the streak alive, that would be outstanding.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last two meetings;
Round 7 2021 - AAMI Park - Win - Storm 42 - Warriors 20
Round 7 2020 - Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney - Win - Storm 50 - Warriors 6

Form Guide (Last 5 Games)

Storm - 5 Wins
W - Storm 20 - Titans 14
W - Broncos 12 - Storm 40
W - Raiders 10 - Storm 34
W - Storm 44 - Dragons 18
W - Rabbitohs 0 - Storm 50

Points For: 188 (37.6pg)
Points Against: 54 (10.8pg)

Warriors - 2 Wins & 3 Losses
L - Cowboys 29 - Warriors 28
W - Warriors 30 - Tigers 26
L - Warriors 18 - Eels 34
L - Sea Eagles 38 - Warriors 32
W - Warriors 24 - Cowboys 20

Points For: 124 (24.8pg)
Points Against: 147 (29.4pg)

We have played the Warriors 46 times in our history, winning 28 of those games (61%). Despite the Warriors being seen as a bit of a bogey team for the Storm, we have actually won our last 10 games in a row against the Warriors. Our last loss came in July 2015!
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Warriors will be at almost full strength coming off a bye. This will be very tough.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Do wonder if origin/injuries/suspension could possibly catch up to it this week. Totally fine with not bothering with any of the origin guys unless we really need them and even then I'd be only looking at Welch/Kaufusi.

This season has been so bizarre and depending on origin/when Paps comes back we're going to be looking at possibly 3 months between having our best team on the park.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Craig said that Paps only started some light training this week. I don't reckon we will see him until the Origin-affected Roosters game in Round 16. Even then, we have the bye the following week, so the club may be tempted to even skip that game, lead into the bye and then return Round 18 against the Knights.

Paps has only managed 4 full games in 2021 so far.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would expect our 21 man squad to include all Origin players, if they are not named they can't play. Then we can request approval to replace them outside initial squad.

Here is my guess at squad:
1 Nicho Hynes
2 George Jennings
3 Tom Eisenhuth
4 Justin Olam
5 Josh Addo-Carr
6 Cameron Munster
7 Jahrome Hughes
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Brandon Smith
10 Christian Welch
11 Felise Kaufusi
12 Trent Loiero / Chris Lewis
13 Dale Finucane
14 Harry Grant
15 Tui Kamikamica
16 Chris Lewis / Trent Loiero
17 Aaron Pene

18 Aaron Booth
19 Cooper Johns / Ryley Jacks
20 Jordan Grant
21 Dean Ieremia
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We are 1.18 to win. Warriors are 4.70. Line is 14.5, Id take Warriros on the line tbh.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Then players outside 21 that could come in:
Ryley Jacks / Cooper Johns
Jack Howarth
Jonah Pezet
Judda Turahui
Tagiolupe Tivalu
Dan Atkinson
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Munster and Harry Grant will be coming off not much football at all over the last month when they play SOO so it will be interesting if they recover.

At least they have a 4 day recovery before the Warriors game.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

six rings wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 am We are 1.18 to win. Warriors are 4.70. Line is 14.5, Id take Warriros on the line tbh.
SportsBet have pushed the Warriors out to $5. I can't believe that... I guess they are assuming Origin players will back up. Even if they do, $5 seems huge.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:17 pm
six rings wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:35 am We are 1.18 to win. Warriors are 4.70. Line is 14.5, Id take Warriros on the line tbh.
$5 seems huge.
Shhhh!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Also, bookies set the initial prices, the weight of money thereon ultimately sets the market. Obviously lots like the Storm to win, me, not so confident.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm duo Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Reimis Smith are contesting suspensions at the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night.

Asofa-Solomona was charged twice, with a 52nd-minute contrary conduct charge which will result in a one-week ban unless he is successful at the judiciary.

The second charge, for a careless high tackle, only attracted a fine of $1900, which he has accepted.

Smith is facing a two-week ban after being issued a grade two careless high tackle charge.

Source: NRL.com
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A few of us have been saying for a while that we would like to see the club challenge some of the charges rather than just accept a week or two (or unnecessary carry over points).

Given our present situation, no better time to try that out.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -time-out/

Warriors v Storm: Key comebacks loom; Charged duo face time out
NRL.com
Mon 7 Jun 2021

The Warriors are fighting to snare a berth in the top eight while perennial contenders Melbourne are yet again in with a chance of taking out the minor premiership.

With a 5-7 record, the Warriors have been hot and cold but the emergence of young fullback Reece Walsh in recent weeks has given the club optimism for this season and beyond when captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck embarks on a stint in rugby union.

Melbourne have adapted strongly in the post-Cameron Smith era and they have also received a massive mid-season boost at the back in the form of Nicho Hynes, who has been in a purple patch in the No.1 jersey, filling in for Ryan Papenhuyzen after he was laid low by a head knock.

The Rundown

Team news
Warriors: Halfback Kodi Nikorima (head knock) and prop Addin Fonua-Blake (knee) are in line to make their comebacks from injury against Melbourne while Josh Curran (elbow) and Tom Ale (ankle) are also a chance.

Rookie sensation Reece Walsh and centre Adam Pompey are sidelined by suspension until round 15.

Storm: Giant prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona and centre Reimis Smith have both been hit with charges by the match review panel that will see them miss one and two weeks respectively if they are unsuccessful at the judiciary.

Coach Craig Bellamy will be sweating on five-eighth Cameron Munster (foot), Christian Welch (knee) and hooker Harry Grant getting through Origin. Grant will be playing his first 80-minute game in nine months in Origin I off the back of a hamstring injury but, should any problem arise, Bellamy is blessed to have Brandon Smith in such fine form at dummy-half.

Ryley Jacks (head knock) and Brenko Lee (calf) could make returns from injury this week but fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen (head knock) is unlikely.

Back-rower Kenny Bromwich is expected to be sidelined for two weeks by the rib injury he suffered against the Titans last weekend.

Key match-up
Tohu Harris v Dale Finucane: These two warhorses have been models of consistency for their teams - they were teammates at the Storm before Harris switched to his homeland in 2018.

Neither player receives too many headlines for flashy play but they are integral members of their respective packs, doing all the dirty work around the rucks which is critical to team success.

Stat attack
The Warriors' defensive line needs to be on its toes - the Storm not only rank No.1 in the NRL for line-break assists with 67, they are also the best for try assists with 60.