Round 13 - Storm v Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely (not just you)... and I was born in Penrith!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well, we will have Finucane for this one which is good. Even with all of the NSW back rowers not available, he still couldn’t get a run. And I think he is probably in better form this year, than last year.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I also so want the panthers to lose. I am sick of hearing about what a strong team they and how many records they have created by winning so many games. Now tonight I hear the NSW halves pairing is the best in the country.

I say there is one small problem with all this media rubbish: The LOST the most important game in the season and the NSW halves are the same pair that LOST the grand final. They need to look at who the reigning premiers are.

Also, tonight I heard it is unfair for the Panthers to play on the weekend with six players. Storm are playing without five players and no one in NSW cared when Storm played more than one game during origin for years without several players which included our spine. Amazing.

Sorry rant over, back to the Titans game. Go Storm.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Titans lost badly to the Sharks (38-10), even with Tino and Fifita in the line-up. Not sure what that means for them.. but it is nothing good. Obviously they will be bitterly disappointed and looking to aim up against us, but just given the depth of both clubs, it is hard to see anything other than Melbourne putting the Titans to the sword in a big way. Anything less than that should be seen as a poor result for us IMO.

They will be without Fifita, Tino, Fotuaika and Brimson.
We will be without JAC, Munster, Grant, Welch and Kaufusi
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

For those on or near the Sunshine Coast, the Sunshine Coast Falcons play the Redcliffe Dolphins at 4pm on Saturday at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Although given the Origin players are out there won't be many, if any Storm players playing.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:57 pm I also so want the panthers to lose. I am sick of hearing about what a strong team they and how many records they have created by winning so many games. Now tonight I hear the NSW halves pairing is the best in the country.

I say there is one small problem with all this media rubbish: The LOST the most important game in the season and the NSW halves are the same pair that LOST the grand final. They need to look at who the reigning premiers are.

Also, tonight I heard it is unfair for the Panthers to play on the weekend with six players. Storm are playing without five players and no one in NSW cared when Storm played more than one game during origin for years without several players which included our spine. Amazing.

Sorry rant over, back to the Titans game. Go Storm.
All very valid observations, this particularly;
"Also, tonight I heard it is unfair for the Panthers to play on the weekend with six players."

From a Storm perspective I would say ONLY 6 PLAYERS? We lose only 5 but how many other regular starters are we missing, and have missed for large parts of the year. In fact, it's getting really hard to decide who our best 17 is!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... or-taylor/

Storm v Titans: Bromwich, Jacks a chance; Focus on Fermor, Taylor
NRL.com
Mon 31 May 2021

Melbourne are on a roll and it would be foolish to assume that injuries and State of Origin commitments will knock the second-placed Storm off track.

Jahrome Hughes is the only regular member of the Storm spine available for this match but Craig Bellamy has a track record of coming up with answers that ensure any pressure is transferred to Melbourne's opposition.

Nicho Hynes has been in incredible form whether picked in the No.1 or No.6 jersey with the team's mixture of hard heads and rising stars continuing to form a potent combination.

The Gold Coast have also lost four players to Origin duties but their erratic form of late, particularly their deflating round 12 loss to Cronulla, has them much less well-placed to cope.

Coach Justin Holbrook will be leaning heavily on the likes of captain Jamal Fogarty and veteran back-rower Kevin Proctor to get the Titans back on track and living up to the hype that had them pegged as top-eight material.

The Rundown

Team news
Storm: The loss of four players to Origin duties hurts a little less for Melbourne as Harry Grant, Cameron Munster and Christian Welch have already missed time to injury while their replacements, and the team generally, have hardly missed a beat. Fullback Nicho Hynes and hooker Brandon Smith have led the charge impressively and promise to do so again this week.

Kenny Bromwich (hamstring) and Ryley Jacks (concussion) could also be available after the club adopted a cautious approach to their return from injury.

Titans: Hooker Mitch Rein will be available after being assessed for a fine over his dangerous throw charge while Tyrone Peachey returns from suspension to help strengthen a pack weakened by Origin call-ups.

Back-rower Beau Fermor (hamstring) didn't finish Sunday's heavy loss to the Sharks and could also be missing but playmaker Ash Taylor (hip) is scheduled to return from injury which would help the misfiring Titans cover for the loss of AJ Brimson to Maroons duties.

Key match-up
Jahrome Hughes v Jamal Fogarty: The Storm No.7 is the sole holdover from Mebourne's first-choice spine and bears the heavy responsibility of directing the team's attack - a responsibility he has accepted with aplomb in the absence of Cameron Munster and Ryan Papenhuyzen. So far has Hughes elevated his play that only the freakish Nathan Cleary has clearly been better at halfback.

Fogarty also faces plenty of pressure trying to lead a Titans squad that has failed to live up to expectations. His impact has been limited in 2021, the Titan's one try, six try assists and four forced dropouts failing to flatter when lined up against his Storm rival's six tries, 10 try assists and seven forced dropouts.

Stat attack
Nicho Hynes (16) leads the NRL in line-break assists and is joined in the top 20 by teammates Jahrome Hughes (No.14 - 9), Brandon Smith (No.15 - 8 ) and Justin Olam (No.20 - 7) with Harry Grant (No.29 - 6) and Reimis Smith (No.50 - 4) also making the top 50. The Gold Coast, in contrast, have only three players in that list with centre Brian Kelly (6) first at No.29 followed by playmakers Jamal Fogarty (5) at 33 and Ash Taylor (5) at No.44.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm squad
1 Nicho Hynes
2 George Jennings
3 Reimis Smith
4 Justin Olam
5 Dean Ieremia
6 Cooper Johns
7 Jahrome Hughes
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Brandon Smith
10 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11 Tom Eisenhuth
12 Kenny Bromwich
13 Dale Finucane

14 Aaron Booth
15 Tui Kamikamica
16 Chris Lewis
17 Aaron Pene

18 Jordan Grant
19 Isaac Lumelume
20 Trent Loiero
21 Ryley Jacks

Still a reasonable looking team.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Titans squad
1 Jayden Campbell
2 Anthony Don
3 Brian Kelly
4 Patrick Herbert
5 Phillip Sami
6 Ashley Taylor
7 Jamal Fogarty
8 Jarrod Wallace
9 Mitch Rein
10 Jaimin Jolliffe
11 Kevin Proctor
12 Sam Stone
13 Sam McIntyre

14 Tyrone Peachey
15 Erin Clark
16 Jai Whitbread
17 Joseph Vuna

18 Tanah Boyd
19 Esan Marsters
20 Greg Marzhew
21 Darius Farmer
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Storm: Kenny Bromwich (hamstring) is fit to play and will replace Maroons back-rower Felise Kaufusi in the second row while Dean Ieremia gets the call to take over from Blues winger Josh Addo-Carr.

Cooper Johns is named to start at five-eighth after being a late inclusion the past two weeks while Storm giant Nelson Asofa-Solomona gets another start in the front row. Chris Lewis will begin the game on the interchange.

Playmaker Ryley Jacks (concussion) makes his comeback from injury on the extended bench.

Titans: Ash Taylor returns from injury to partner Jamal Fogarty in the halves with understudy Tanah Boyd pushed back to the extended bench while Tyrone Peachey has to be content with an interchange spot on his return from suspension.

Origin has forced Justin Holbrook to make a raft of changes including handing Titans legend Preston Campbell's son Jayden his debut at fullback in place of AJ Brimson and naming Joseph Vuna, younger brother of former Knight Cooper, on the bench for his first NRL game since he played four for the Warriors in 2018.

Jaimin Jolliffe replaces Moeaki Fotuaika in the front row, Sam Stone steps into David Fifita's large boots in the second row and Sam McIntyre takes over the No.13 jersey from Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

With back-rower Beau Fermor (hamstring) missing, Jai Whitbread joins Peachey, Vuna and Erin Clark on the interchange bench.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Still have to wait on Paps :(
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:17 am It's no wonder they're fighting the charge then aye haha.
Can’t believe he got off :lol:

I hope we didn’t use up all of our Judiciary positive karma on that...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The can't miss an origin game for that argument works again.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kaufusi used Nick Ghabar, who argued (essentially) that you can't be suspended for an "attempted trip". Even then, Kaufusi stated that his leg went up as he went to get to his feet, only to pull back when he realised Turpin was close :lol:

Turpin never fell over or really stumbled from Kaufusi sticking his leg out. Kaufusi reckons he didn't make contact, but I reckon he did and you can see Turpin's knee extend back as a result, before he steps off that leg to avoid the oncoming defence.

Very, very lucky...

Agreed - Same as the Cameron Murray crusher. "Can't miss an Origin for that".
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Is anyone backing the Titans at $9 to beat us on Sat? I don't watch any other games that Storm don't participate in. Have the Titans been that bad that they have no chance in beating us even without all our origin stars???