Round 13 - Storm v Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thought Trent did well in front of a big home crowd. 80minutes and while he didn't set the world on fire he did a stand up job.

Remis and Jennings are a pretty sound combination now too.

Also couldn't help but notice the severe lack of offloads, no doubt that coincides with the lack of go forward. Shows how important Welch is.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

How many of the head high reports will be chucked out during the week? Also, will that Titans Muppet who faked a head high tackle before full time face a hefty fine for staging? To tell you the truth, the referring tonight was an absolute farce especially for the 6 agains that the Titans were given for holding too long. So many times they held on forever and we received sfa!!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That ref tonight was so incompetent I have to think it was deliberate
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm Horrible effort. Forget execution. Effort was lacking which is disappointing.

There was no fighting to get to their feet for a quicker play the ball.

Tough to watch virtually the full 80mins.
I do not agree at all. The effort was great. We were far from our best, but I reckon this was a win of great character , missing Munster AND Papenhuyzen AND Welch AND Addo Carr AND Kaufusi AND Grant AND Lee AND Eisenhuth AND ( for most of the game ) K Bromwich AND ( for 10 mins ) a 13th player .How did Origin go for Penrith last night?

The standards set by this club are so high that it is tempting to just take the wins for granted . That is unfair on the players . They allowed not to be perfect once and a while , as long as they give their all - and that they did again tonight. Very proud of them.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At press conference Craig said "we didn't play smart" but was happy with our efforts in defence.

Kenny had an injection and it didn't make any difference. He won't be playing for next couple of weeks

No date pencilled for Ryan Papenhuyzen return.

Would hate to lose Finucane. Trying to find money to keep him. Hopefully, Nicho signing with Sharks will help that situation.
Kettles
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

That desperate act from Peachey was pretty low. He should be dealt with for that.
That referee was truly horrible. We desperately missed Welch tonight and it underscores how average our big blokes are when he’s out of the team. We played like a team who thought others would just hammer over the try line and register a comfortable win. A most un-team like performance and one I won’t be replaying.

J Bromwich would have to be the most ineffectual captain in possibly the history of the game. Watching him and Proctor tonight just smelled of a couple of old stagers milking whatever $$ are there to be had before they’re either found out and shipped on or shown the door. I’d shop Bromwich around, honestly. Some mug club will want him.

Bah.
Storm_M_36
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:22 pm
yourhero wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm Horrible effort. Forget execution. Effort was lacking which is disappointing.

I do not agree at all. The effort was great. We were far from our best, but I reckon this was a win of great character , missing Munster AND Papenhuyzen AND Welch AND Addo Carr AND Kaufusi AND Grant AND Lee AND Eisenhuth AND ( for most of the game ) K Bromwich AND ( for 10 mins ) a 13th player .How did Origin go for Penrith last night?

The standards set by this club are so high that it is tempting to just take the wins for granted . That is unfair on the players . They allowed not to be perfect once and a while , as long as they give their all - and that they did again tonight. Very proud of them.
I'm just happy we got the win when everything was against us. That win will be very character building for the club to know how much depth we have. Any other club without the stars we had out would have flopped tonight.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Craig also said that George Jennings was touch and go to come out after half time. He had a tight hamstring.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:22 pm

Well, agree to disagree.

I thought Nicho’s urgency in defence was lacking as detailed during the game. To me that’s an effort area.

The not fighting for quick PTBs in attack.

The sloppy defence around the ruck where the Titans were able to punch through a few times due to lack of work from marker, or lack of cover defence from the A defender.

The line speed from the Titans in defence was far superior to ours.

The lack of punch in attack was the main thing that stood out to me though, hence the question on effort. Our much more experienced forward pack was dominated most of the game. Our attack was stifled as we were not able to establish a forward roll on up the middle (for the most part). Even our forwards were often seen going sideways looking for a shortcut.

The last 15 minutes, our urgency in defence went up a notch and looked much better, but it took us going down to 12.

Agree with others. Take the two points, accept it was one of our worse games for the year and move on.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with you, yourhero - the effort areas and our intensity was definitely off in that game, but thankfully it picked up a bit when we were down to 12 players. Brandon was the saviour/spark for us in many crucial situations, both in attack and defence.

But around 35 missed tackles (Titans had 20), 25 ineffective tackles (Titans had 7), only 2 offloads (Titans had 17), and around 500 less run metres than the Titans sums it up for me. As I mentioned in another post, Olam was clearly way off with his defence; 11 tackles, 3 missed, 6 ineffective (55% tackle efficiency).

On a 10-game winning run, and convincing wins for the most part, on the back of a lot of disruptions/distractions and being away from home for so long, I can certainly forgive our guys for lacking a bit of intensity & execution against a weaker opposition, and I'll gladly take the 2 points and move on.

Hopefully we don't lose too many more from this one to injury and suspension; Reimis and possibly NAS might find themselves in some trouble, and Kenny will obviously miss a couple at least.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nelson has gotten a week suspension and Reimis Smith 2 weeks.

The hit on Kenny has only attracted a fine despite the fact that he'll miss weeks after being hit despite never having the ball...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:35 pm Nelson has gotten a week suspension and Reimis Smith 2 weeks.

The hit on Kenny has only attracted a fine despite the fact that he'll miss weeks after being hit despite never having the ball...
Who plays centre the next couple of weeks? Isaac Lumelume (can he play centre), Marion Seve, I assume not Brenko Lee, I think he is still on injured list with calf. Or does Craig play Tom Eisenhuth there?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Without NAS, Reimis, Kenny, Paps. We really need all our Origin guys to back-up otherwise we'll struggle to fill a 17.

1 - Nicho
2 - Jennings
3 - Eisenhuth
4 - Olam
5 - JAC
6 - Munster
7 - Hughes
8 - Jesse
9 - Grant
10 - Welch
11 - Kaufusi
12 - Loeiro
13 - Dale

14 - Brandon
15 - Tui
16 - Lewis
17 - Pene

18 - Johns (for Munster)
19 - Lumelume (for Jennings/JAC)
20 - Ieremia
21 - Jacks/Booth (for Grant)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Brandon will start still regardless, he's been too good
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lumelume might not be available he just got sinbinned in Qld Cup for a high tackle.