Round 10 - MAGIC ROUND - Storm vs Dragons

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Paps isn't fit, Hynes to 1 and Lewis or Loiero onto the bench. If Smoothy needs a rest during the game, Kenny to hooker for 15mins and Lewis/Loiero filling the edge backrower spot in that time.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Joey Johns is predicting an upset. Lets make him eat his words.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

six rings wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am Joey Johns is predicting an upset. Lets make him eat his words.
I reckon we got rolled by the Dragons last year when we had a large number of players out.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm
six rings wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:41 am Joey Johns is predicting an upset. Lets make him eat his words.
I reckon we got rolled by the Dragons last year when we had a large number of players out.
Frustrating thing is the Storm probably win that game if a few more conversions get drilled. Pretty sure the guys only converted one try.

Sounds like Papenhuyzen is a good chance. If he plays I would love to see Hynes shift into five-eighth to get a better idea of how he handles the position.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Late Mail: Star fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen has been named on the extended bench and is likely to play if he can get through the captain’s run on Saturday. Papenhuyzen told SEN on Friday his “shoulder should be all good it’s been all week now probably abit of carry on.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The NRL, after last week stating they were going to crack down on foul play, this week they are saying that they really, REALLY mean it this time.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2 ... 3a63bf8e37

From this round, it looks like any contact to the head will probably land you at least in the sin bin. Those teams that can adjust well, will probably come out on top. Having said that, if this is actually here to stay, it will change the way that the game is played. Offloads will be off the charts as players make lower tackles and put less emphasis on hitting around the chest in order to wrap the ball up.

I guess we will see how things unfold in the opening 6 games this weekend. Far be it for me to be pessimistic about the NRL's ability to be consistent, but I think we will see some players sent off whilst similar incidents go without so much as a penalty. I think there will be a lot of feigning injury this round as well.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

basically because of concussion, there are no more head hits allowed in any sports in the world.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

six rings wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm basically because of concussion, there are no more head hits allowed in any sports in the world.
Uuummm....boxing rang and said hello....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not off to a great start with this crackdown... Anyone even goes near the head and people are clutching at their head trying to get their team a sin-bin advantage.

In the week where you are supposed to really be showcasing the game and celebrating a festival type feel. This spectacle will turn the fans away pretty quick.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm Not off to a great start with this crackdown... Anyone even goes near the head and people are clutching at their head trying to get their team a sin-bin advantage.

In the week where you are supposed to really be showcasing the game and celebrating a festival type feel. This spectacle will turn the fans away pretty quick.
Typical NRL stupidity evidenced by a pendulum swinging over reaction. If they’d just properly refereed head high contact over the last 6 weeks, there would be no need for this insane over reaction in Magic Round. lima lima lima duck me they are stupid at NRL headquarters.🙄🙄
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm This spectacle will turn the fans away pretty quick.
Last night was unwatchable, that garbage 13 on 11, complete nonsense. And then the even up from the refs with less than a minute to go, pathetic. I hope this blight does not continue.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If we end up with thirteen players on the field tomorrow, I'll be fully surprised.

Due to the usual northern media hyperbole, the crackdown will mean any purple jumper is a likely send off and no doubt Dragons players will do anything to enhance this.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cody Walker just grabs the back of his head - 100% milked from NOTHING... and they call a penalty to end the game for the Sharks... if this is the new RL, I want nothing to do with it.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m dreading this game ...I can see at least 2 or 3 send off in our game
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Late Mail: Ryan Papenhuyzen will start at fullback, Nicho Hynes moves to five-eighth and Tyson Smoothy will start at hooker. Ryley Jacks moves to the bench with Nelson Asofa-Solomona Tom Eisenhuth and Tui Kamikamica.