Xavier Coates to Storm?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Journos have jumped the gun a bit by how everyone has reacted to the news.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Something like two years for 850k they said on 360.

I hope the 850 was total, not per year!!!

If it’s in the 425k a year mark - that’s a great signing
Premiers
Squall
Squall

$815,000 per season for 2 seasons
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Premiers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:51 pm $815,000 per season for 2 seasons
That would make him the highest paid winger considerably in the game I would guess.

Not really in line with our previous salary cap management at all.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It’s reported as $850 k for 2 seasons so $425 pa
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That is reasonable.

When $500K was being touted, I thought that was a bit rich but thought if we could get him close to $400K there was value.

I think that figure is good for us and the environment should be good for Coates’s development.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wonder how much Coates enjoyed last nights performance.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:20 am Wonder how much Coates enjoyed last nights performance.
I thought the same thing. He must be pretty excited to get on the end of our backline.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Xavier Coates would have watched the game salivating. It would only highten his desire to come to the Melbourne Storm once Bellamy re-signs.

Xavier Coates needs to give Josh Ado Carr a phone call.

Josh would say "Bra, come on down to Melbourne and fly!, 6 times in a row"
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b6b92d844a

Addo-Carr encourages Coates to make the move to Melbourne

His time in Melbourne is almost over, but Josh Addo-Carr is going out with a bang and has encouraged Xavier Coates to make the move south if he wants to be the best footy player he can be.
The Storm winger became the first man in 71 years to score six tries in a game as Melbourne embarrassed South Sydney 50-0 on Thursday night.

He bagged four in the first half and crossed for the final two tries to confirm his status as the best finisher in the NRL. In doing so, he became the first Storm player to score more than four tries in a game and moved to equal-fifth on the club’s try-scoring list.

“I’m blown away,” he said after the game, pointing to the fact he hadn’t scored so many since the under-6s.

“If it wasn’t for the team, that wouldn’t have been possible.

“It’s something that you don’t think about. You just try to do your job for the team each week, and when those opportunities come up, you try to do the best job you can. I’m just so happy that the team played so well, and the six tries are a bonus for me.”

Addo-Carr joined the Storm in 2017 and has since won two premierships, represented his state and country and developed into one of the most engaging characters in the game.

But his time in Melbourne is drawing to a close, with the Foxx set to join Canterbury next season in what was one of the toughest decisions of his glittering career.

“I think about it all the time, but life’s too short,” he said as he prepares to move from the defending premiers to the team currently running last.

“I’ve got a family to look after and I’ve got family to spend time with, so that’s the whole reason why I made that decision.

“I’m super blessed to be a part of this team and this organisation. It’s a special team and I’m so happy to be a part of it. They’ve changed my life around and it’s a special journey I’ve been on.

“I’m definitely going to miss it, but I’ll always have that connection.”

Finding someone as quick as Addo-Carr is virtually impossible, but the Storm are in the box seat to lure high-flyer Xavier Coates from the Broncos on a two-year deal that could take his came to even greater heights.

“He’s a super talent,” the Blues winger said.

“Whatever decision he makes, I’m sure he’ll make the right one. I say to everyone wherever I go and whenever I talk in front of people, I always say if you get an opportunity with Melbourne, take it.

“They’ll turn you into the footy players you always dreamt of being. You learn how to play rugby league when you go to the Melbourne Storm.
O0

“Back in the day, I used to get the ball and run, but when you come here, they teach you the one-percenters, and those one per-centres add up to big parts in games.”

The Storm star has matured over the years, with coach Craig Bellamy paying tribute to his leadership skills after Thursday’s win.

It didn’t happen overnight, but it’s something Addo-Carr embraces and is keen to take further when he makes the move to Belmore, stressing he’s excited for the challenge and is confident they are heading in the right direction.

“I think it’s taken four or five years,” he said.

“I was a bit embarrassed to talk in front of the boys that you hang out with every day. It was tough, but it feels so comfortable being around the leaders we have here.

“I know what it takes to win premierships, I know what it takes to be a consistent footy player and I love helping people. If I can do that next year then happy days. It’s one of the reasons why I wanted to go to Canterbury.

“I moved to Melbourne to step out of my comfort zone, so why can’t I go to Canterbury to build something special?”
Premiers
Squall
Squall

Looks like Donaghy has convinced Coates to remain at the Broncos
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Premiers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am Looks like Donaghy has convinced Coates to remain at the Broncos
:lol: You wish. So does Donaghy and Walters :lol:
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Premiers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am Looks like Donaghy has convinced Coates to remain at the Broncos
Tell us more, Pelican.
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Coates has signed with storm. He told team mates about his move to Melbourne apparently.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What does it feel like to actually support the most losing team in rugby league history ? Must be some sort of challenge for you to watch Cronulla every week.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time