Away to Souths

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:28 pm I really do hope Nicho gets a bumper deal at another club and gets the starting spot. Really deserves nothing but the best. Was amazing tonight.
Smith and Grant combo is one of my all time favourites already.
Long way to go but if we win the comp this year it would be the sweetest one yet.
Just not sure he’d shine as bright at a weaker Club where he’d get a chance to start. I know it’s every player’s dream...but sometimes playing a specific role in a highly successful team and club might be as good as it gets. Just my opinion of course....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen must be a little miffed he only had the equal club record for a few weeks 😂
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I loved how the whole team was so excited for him. Olam was more pumped than JAC :lol:

After he got 4, they were doing everything they could to get him more opportunities.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am I loved how the whole team was so excited for him. Olam was more pumped than JAC :lol:

After he got 4, they were doing everything they could to get him more opportunities.
Too true, you don’t score that many tries without getting fed the ball!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:28 pm I really do hope Nicho gets a bumper deal at another club and gets the starting spot. Really deserves nothing but the best. Was amazing tonight.
Smith and Grant combo is one of my all time favourites already.
Long way to go but if we win the comp this year it would be the sweetest one yet.
I wonder if he could be a fulltime starter but it would be cool to see Hynes cash in somewhere. He should tell clubs he's open to playing 5/8th to make him more appealing.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nicho could wait at the Storm and see if Munster stays or goes to the new second Brisbane team. If Munster goes then Nicho could take over the 5/8th spot for us.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So the Panther are still undefeated and have the best defence in the comp at this stage of the season.

I had a look at their season so far and think that their position in grossly inflated through one of the softest draws imaginable... Here is what they have faced so far, plus what is on the horizon;

Played so far;
R1 - Cowboys (12th)
R2 - Bulldogs (16th)
R3 - Storm (5th) - Baaaaaarely won, should have lost on the buzzer.
R4 - Sea Eagles (10th) - Minus Tommy T
R5 - Raiders (9th) - In a slump
R6 - Broncos (15th)
R7 - Knights (11th)
R8 - Sea Eagles (10th)

To come;
R9 - Sharks (13th)
R10 - Titans (8th)
R11 - Rabbitohs (3rd)
R12 - Bulldogs (16th)
R13 - Tigers (14th)
R14 - Sharks (13th)

Sure, the Panthers didn't come up with the draw and can only play what is in front of them, but it is still pretty remarkable that a team can go 14 rounds in the NRL and only play 3 top 8 sides (8th, 5th and 3rd).

We don't play them again until Round 20. But when we do, if we play anywhere near like we did last night, we will put a number on them as well.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They do end up playing the other "contenders" twice each when it's all said and done but an outrageously soft few months to begin the season.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 pm Strong game on both sides of the ball. Would have been hard for any team to beat us tonight.

Side notes:
Starting to look hard for Brenko Lee to find his way in.
Still tossing up between Hynes and Eisenhuth for the 17.
Agree reckon Brenko. He has been out for so long, and still has a few weeks to go in rehabilitation. Meanwhile , George and Reimis are performing very nicely together . After a couple of shaky games early, George is not putting a foot working, and Reimis just gets better and better. I still think Brenko at centre and Reimis outside him would be the best option, and it is a long time till the finals, but George is going to be hard to dislodge .
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith charged with shoulder charge on Damien Cook. If he pleads guilty he will miss one match. If he fights it and loses he will miss two weeks. I would be pleading guilty, no point risking two matches.

Felise Kaufusi was fined for unnecessary contact with Cody Walker's neck/ head.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yes, Brandon will have a 17 day rest from this game. Nice for him.

It was clumsy rather than malicious.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2021- ... 8522da628f

"We probably got what we deserved," Bennett told reporters after the match.

Master coach Wayne Bennett has made the troubling admission that he had seen a demolition looming despite riding a seven-game winning streak.

Bennett's hunch proved true as the Melbourne Storm steamrolled to a 50-0 thrashing of his South Sydney Rabbitohs at Stadium Australia on Thursday night, inspired by Josh Addo-Carr's six tries.

Bennett said the thumping didn't surprise him despite the fact the Rabbitohs hadn't lost a game since falling to the Storm in Melbourne in round one.

The Fox makes history against the Rabbitohs

"I thought we have been heading that way in the last couple of weeks and managed to pull games out of the fire - and Melbourne are too good for that.

"It was coming. That's what I was on about last week in Canberra. It just got worse tonight against a really quality team."

The injury-ravaged Rabbitohs, who among others were missing Latrell Mitchell, Adam Reynolds, Cameron Murray and Josh Mansour, were dominated on the stats sheet.

Melbourne completed 92 per cent of their sets to South Sydney's 68, garnered 1756 metres to the hosts' 995, registered nine line-breaks to zero, missed just 11 tackles to 28 and made only five errors to 11.

South Sydney were also kept scoreless for the first time since round 17 of season 2016, when they suffered a 20-0 defeat at the hands of the North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns.

"We are better than that," Bennett said of his side's 50-0 hiding at the hands of the Storm.

"We might not have won the game, but we are a lot better than what we played out there tonight."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really??? Both were contact, but FMD they were pretty soft...

100% neither of these will be charged consistently. You could find half a dozen "unnecessary contact head/neck" from the game last night if you really wanted to :roll:
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Any type of Shots to the head, due to concussion laws, even if they are minimal or accidental are being outlawed in the game.

What has happened in the past, no longer has relevance.

That clean up is the same as all contact sports across the globe.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

six rings wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:39 pm Any type of Shots to the head, due to concussion laws, even if they are minimal or accidental are being outlawed in the game.

What has happened in the past, no longer has relevance.

That clean up is the same as all contact sports across the globe.
Neither were "shots to the head".