Round 4 v Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Utha
Squall
Squall

Fwiw because of the short COVID lockdown in Brisbane, this is the only NRL game taking place outside of NSW this weekend.

We may not be the team we were, but at least we’re getting to attend matches this year, unlike Warriors fans in NZ.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Too true!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Smoothy and Schonig drop out of squad.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Scooter wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm Smoothy and Schonig drop out of squad.
Woah, that's quite interesting! Means at least one of Pene, Ieremia and Loeiro will make their debut.

Lewis to fill in at hooker for Brandon when he needs a rest?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pene debuted in rd 20 last year
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Happy for him to have debuted but Smoothy didn’t offer much in his 50(?) minutes of game time so far. Probs tough to ask him to even be ready for first grade a week before the season tbf.

Loiero still in the squad might mean Eisenhuth’s ribs mightn’t be right.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:06 pm
Scooter wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:57 pm Smoothy and Schonig drop out of squad.
Woah, that's quite interesting! Means at least one of Pene, Ieremia and Loeiro will make their debut.

Lewis to fill in at hooker for Brandon when he needs a rest?
I would say Nicho Hynes to play hooker to give Brandon a rest.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Loiero to debut.

NAS to bench and Tui to start.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So... Ryan Papenhuyzen’s pretty good huh?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS with the much needed impact off the bench. Punched through the line every run and his offloads caused a ton of damage. And just great support play from Paps. Elite fullbacking.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

riders of the storm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:52 pm So... Ryan Papenhuyzen’s pretty good huh?
Yeah, he goes ok.

I actually think the single most telling moment of the game was just after Melbourne's first try. Behind the line Paps put his arm around Eddie's shoulder and is whispering in his ear the same way Cam Smith used to with playmakers, and Munster just gave that little "yes boss" nod.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wish we had more of a sample size cause I just don’t think we miss Kaufusi at all.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 pm Wish we had more of a sample size cause I just don’t think we miss Kaufusi at all.
I thought Tom Eisenhuth was awesome too.

Trent Loiero looked excellent after he came on. Made some really good decisions in both attack and defence.

That has to be the best kicking game the guys have employed in a while too. Very pleased with that aspect.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

NAS was absolutely the game changer. He injected so much enthusiasm and power. It is no surprise our forwards had their collective best game of the year, that set the platform up for everyone else to succeed.

I'm very happy for Jennings, it would be a daunting task to take a position on our right edge and to finally "click" albeit against a defeated team, is rewarding for him. Reims is next.

The game showed great signs but I don't think we were tested enough to know if we've turned the form around. Tough critic I know.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 pm Wish we had more of a sample size cause I just don’t think we miss Kaufusi at all.
Yeah look to be honest missing kaufusi opens up so much more opportunity for attack. Fus puts in a great 80 minutes each week but it's worth experimenting with who else can offer something a bit different. Loiero was very exciting I'd be happy to see much more of him.