Oh Captain, Oh Captain

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Phillip Island Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I have felt for a couple of years that when Jesse Bromwich was first mentioned as a possible future captain that he wasn't what will be needed. He is a great leader of the forward pack but that is where it ends. I am deliberating whether Dale Finucane is the person, a great clubman, but he is not a talker and an organiser. I could never figure out who would be a future captain if and when the accountant retired but throughout last year and the first couple of games this year, I believe it should be Cameron Munster. He is on the field all game and shows passion, leads by example and game management smarts. Bloody hard to take the captaincy off someone without it affecting the team in someway. I hope we didn't just give it to Jesse out of loyalty. What do you think.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster needs to mature that little bit, just take the emotion out of his thinking at times. Needs a year or two just to learn that and then he'll be perfect in my opinion. Jesse and Dale can just approach the ref more calmly.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can tell by how he’s talked about that Jesse has the respect of playing group but from the outside looking in he doesn’t really look like a captain, for whatever that means. It’s only one game but not great when the captain of your club only plays 29 minutes like he did this week.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have two words for you:

Christian Welch.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:52 pm I have two words for you:

Christian Welch.
You'll get no argument from me. The thing to be remembered is, does the player want the responsibility. I also like Kenny for his more measured approach but don't think (based on nothing!) he wants the gig.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kenny might not want it at the expense of Jesse. They're obviously very close.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Christian Welch.
Welchy would be great, great idea.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

You probably need a player who is going to be on the ground for the full 80 minutes to be captain.

That means no forwards as captain, it has to be a back. Else when the particular forward who is captain is off, there is a leadership void on the field.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Christian Welch.
This.

I think his time will come though and he will captain the Storm whether it's as a fill-in or a full-time gig. Pretty sure he was captain of the under 20s at some stage?

I always felt Dale Finucane would get a shot too and I like him as a captain given his work rate, standing with the other players and his consistency. I think Finucane and Jesse Bromwich are just basically two guys who will hold the captaincy for a season or two. Long-term it'll be someone else who captains the Storm - could be Cameron Munster? The other name down the track, and this is very premature, is Harry Grant.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Christian was a flight risk pre-knee injury and I think he will be once again when his contract is due for renewal. He is such a unicorn (gifted, strong, generous) it would be the only reason they have not given him the title.

I think the club went the option of Jesse to firstly reward a long serving respected player, and secondly appoint it to a player who will likely retire as club captain as opposed to departing and playing elsewhere.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yes Riders of the Storm, Welch did captain the 20s.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think too being Captain is more than just the 80 minutes we see a week, I'm sure they look at training and off the field too.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How long until Jahrome is rightfully given the job? Discuss...
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:33 am How long until Jahrome is rightfully given the job? Discuss...
Jahrome looks to be the logical option.

Calm, measured and focused.

Munny is a brilliant footballer but geeez he's impetuous and emotional in some situations.

Might not make him the best option to Captain the team.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

I think eventually it will be Harry.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately