Round 1 vs Rabbits

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Premiers wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 pm Six Rings has no idea about Brenko Lee. He is a terrible tackler
Branko Lee was scared for life by this tackle on Corey Oates.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/image-of- ... 468b3c5e92
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think we should be pretty happy with that result.

The Rabbitohs are meant to be one of the title favourites and when the Storm were at their best basically blew them off the park.

Souths also only scored from a shortened field too - by that I mean their three tries came from unforced errors deep inside Melbourne's half.

I'm also not going to begrudge the guys for playing conservatively late in the game i.e. dying with the ball on the last tackle five metres out. They were up by eight and I think that's smart football.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Good post rots. No point playing your best footy at this time of the year anyway.

From our best side last year we were missing Goat, Suli, Tino, Dale, Lee. 5 pretty key players. So not bad all things considered.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No charges. How is there no fine against any Rabbits player for trying to start a fight?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm You have never watched Brenko Lee before
I actually watched the Grand Final again this afternoon. Brenko Lee made four crucial tackles in the first half - 2 on Stephen Crichton and 2 on Viliame Kikau. I think these tackles saved at least two tries.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought we won the game in the forwards and that excites me the most. From the opening kick off when we almost took it the length of the field, our forwards dominated the middle of the park. Even the new guys played well. I think this was the most exciting part of the game. i can't remember the Rabbits making one long break through our middle.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forward pack was outstanding. Welch and Brandon dominated.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pm
blazza18 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 pm You have never watched Brenko Lee before
I actually watched the Grand Final again this afternoon. Brenko Lee made four crucial tackles in the first half - 2 on Stephen Crichton and 2 on Viliame Kikau. I think these tackles saved at least two tries.
And in the same game he was beat pretty good as well. The right side defensively has been bad for years. Brenko is neither the problem or solution to fixing it.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Watching other teams in games so far; gee, none of the standard fo games comes up to the our game v Rabbits.

Our right side is a problem but also remember most teams are stacked on the left and that is their go to position when the full back over laps so its not just us who suffers in that area.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Scooter wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pm
And in the same game he was beat pretty good as well. The right side defensively has been bad for years. Brenko is neither the problem or solution to fixing it.
Yes, Crichton made Lee look silly when he scored his try.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Crichton can make anyone look silly.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

‘A little bit embarrassing’: Melbourne Storm star Justin Olam explains play-the-ball gaffe

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2aef45f72d

It would prove costly too, with Souths scoring on the next set.

“I thought I lost the ball because I dropped it [and knocked it on],” Olam told foxsports.com.au.

“Everyone around me was so quiet, that’s why I put my head down because I wasn’t feeling good about myself.

“I turned the ball over because I thought it was a Rabbitohs ball in the heat of the game.

Magic Munster dances around the BunniesMagic Munster dances around the Bunnies

“Everyone sort of thought that I got knocked out [in the tackle], but it’s going to take more than that to knock me out.

“Munster and them they were off me a little bit [for the drop]. It was a little bit embarrassing to be honest, I feel like I let the team down.

“If it was a common mistake I would have got over it and moved on, but we conceded a try the next set. [Craig Bellamy] didn’t say anything to me yet but I’m pretty sure he’ll say something on Monday. It’s an honest play, I should’ve played to the whistle.”

That clanger aside, Olam handled Campbell Graham well on Thursday and will face Waqa Blake when the Storm face the Eels this weekend.

And after being plucked from PNG, he has slowly become one of the NRL’s most consistent and gamebreaking talents.

He says he has lost weight on last season and wants to improve his speed going into 2021.

“Melbourne has been a really good place for me to learn,” he said.

I’ve loved getting feedback, I have a growth mindset which helps me look through my game. I had to learn the game all over again when I came here.

“I wanted to be quicker and agile, because I will have my strength but really want to bring that speed and agility into my game. I always want to be aggressive in my defence, that’s not going to change.

“When I play good centres like this it’s motivating for me to go out and give them a good challenge because I know they’re going to challenge me”
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

After the first round, I've come to the conclusion that the only teams that can win are the-

Roosters
Panthers
Raiders
Rabbits
Storm

that is all!
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/brando ... 579zv.html

Brandon Smith targets 3-0 start as Storm hooker duel continues
Roy Ward
By Roy Ward
March 12, 2021 — 5.30pm

Melbourne Storm’s new hooker Brandon Smith knows good form helps but wins will ultimately decide whether he will keep the role when Harry Grant returns from injury.

Smith was among the Storm’s best in their 26-18 win over premiership contender South Sydney at AAMI Park on Thursday night and he surprised himself and coach Craig Bellamy by playing 70 out of 80 minutes, requiring only a 10-minute break at the hour mark of the match.

Brandon Smith gets the ball away against South Sydney on Thursday night.

Bellamy listed Smith among his best in the first game of the post-Cameron Smith era as the team attempts to fill the boots of one of the NRL’s greatest players.

Grant is recovering from a knee injury, with Bellamy stating the earliest he could return would be April 2 against the Brisbane Broncos in Melbourne.

Smith said he wasn’t distracted by whether he or his good mate Grant would fill the starting role going forward.

“If Harry is the best option for the team, then he will be the best option for the team,” Smith said on Thursday night.

“But the next two games are Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panthers, so my main objective is to get two wins there as it would be a hard case to argue [to change hookers] if we have beaten three of the top teams from last year.”

Smith said the Storm’s 22-0 start against Souths set the stage for him to play longer minutes as they defended less during that time. The Storm also had debutante Tyson Smoothy on the bench to spell him and that is expected to continue.

“That [good start] helped me get through,” Smith said. “I knew I could get through but it’s about being effective and being the best for my team.

“For a first hit-out I felt really good, which was unusual. My calves usually cramp up really bad so I was surprised how well the gas tank went.”

Three issues the Storm will be closely reviewing will be their right-side defence, their poor completion rate after that 22-0 start and their lack of ‘six again’ penalties, losing that count 5-1 despite having 58 per cent of possession.

Bellamy said he would be speaking to the referees boss about ‘six again’ penalties and he needed better defensive work from newcomers George Jennings and Reimis Smith who filled the right wing and centre roles.

Melbourne forward Tui Kamikamica puts his team on the front foot on Thursday night.

Smith said he and the team’s kickers needed to make better decisions on the fifth tackle and kick better while also completing more sets.

“That’s what early games are all about, about keeping the ball and putting it in good spots,” Smith said. “We need to be better at icing our fifth tackle options.″⁣

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3f3e9460cf

Melbourne star Brandon Smith is reportedly prepared to “buy his way out” of his contract with the Storm in order to join an NRL rival that is prepared to let him play starting hooker.

The Sydney Morning Herald says Smith’s agent Stan Martin has approached the Victorian club with the radical proposal, that is thought to be the first of its kind in rugby league.

Smith is contracted to Melbourne until the end of 2022 but could pay the Storm as much as $200,000 to get a release at the end of this season.

The Herald says Smith is earning about half a million dollars next year from the Storm, but the club would want to replace him with an elite lock-forward which could cost them as much as $700,000.

So Smith and his management could pay the club the difference to compensate for letting him walk away.

Smith wants to own a No.9 jersey but he is stuck behind rising star Harry Grant for the Storm role, after the retirement of champion hooker Cameron Smith.

The Herald also reports the Storm tried to lure international forward Tohu Harris back to the club before he re-signed with the Warriors last week.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 528d66d34e

‘I won’t say no to going back home’: Munster open to joining Queensland expansion team
NRL PREMIERSHIP
Mark St John
March 14, 2021 7:36am
MARK ST JOHN@markdfstjohn
Source: FOX SPORTS
Cameron Munster could be headed home to Queensland.

Storm superstar Cameron Munster is open to leaving Melbourne to return home to Queensland and play for the new Brisbane expansion team at the right price.

The Courier Mail revealed Munster sees himself returning to Queensland after his career is over but may be enticed back sooner if an expansion team is given the green light for 2023.

“Some big news coming out of There Courier Mail tomorrow and this is the back page, ‘Show me the Munny’,” Yvonne Sampson said on Fox League.

“An exclusive from Peter Badel, Maroons hero eyes Brisbane expansion move.

“It has Cameron Munster confirming if another Brisbane team comes in, ‘I won’t say no to going back home. I do see myself moving to Queensland after football and if the second Brisbane team was to get up and running then I could go back earlier than expected.’

“We know Peter V’landys is expected to announce the expansion whether it be in June or July this season. Would Cameron Munster be lured back to the Banana State?”

However Munster’s former Storm teammate and Fox League expert Cooper Cronk believes it is a long shot that the Storm would let their main star leave the club.

INEFFECTIVE: Titans face big Fifita and Tino ‘challenge’

“I can understand why they would want him, but I find it hard to believe,” Cronk said.

“I don’t see Cameron Munster leaving the Melbourne Storm any time soon. I know it is in 2023 and beyond.

“But considering at that club he has now moved into the number one spot, he is the key to the future of that club and with Ryan Papenhuyzen.

“But I don’t see Cameron Munster wanting to leave Melbourne and I don’t see them letting Munster go that easily.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

“I think it’s a nice headline, but I could be proven wrong.”

“Can you imagine Craig Bellamy reading that tomorrow?” Sampson asked.

“Yeah it might be a come into my office son and whack him over the back of the head and take that foot out of your mouth,” Cronk replied.

Munster turns 27 in September and is contracted until the end of 2023 at the Storm.

To date he has played 131 games for the Storm since his debut in 2014, 10 Origins for Queensland and four Tests for the Kangaroos.

The Titans and Bulldogs have previously shown interest in the Kiwi international rake
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

How can the Sydney Roosters possibly be under the salary cap.

The NRL is set to grant the Sydney Roosters $350,000 in salary cap relief following medical advice to sit Boyd Cordner out for at least the first 12 rounds of the 2021 season.

How is that possibly fair?????

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-se ... 56ykg.html

Rival clubs, led by South Sydney, are hoping the NRL will provide clarity about the Sydney Roosters and their request for salary-cap relief for Boyd Cordner, especially given the urgency to keep everybody informed about the retirements of Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess a couple of years ago.

Last year they even had $400,000 of salary cap space to allow Sonny Bill Williams to play with them.