Mystery of the Missing Accountant

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:36 pm Disappointed but relieved at the same time. Strange feelings to have together
A contradiction of feelings today.

Sad beyond belief that the rugby league player I have idolised for so long has retired.

As big as the game is...it will never be exactly the same again.

but....selfishly pleased that he only ever played for Melbourne Storm and we got his whole career (along with Billy).

That's special.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Interesting little fact here - both of our premiership captains have now left the game as winners - Lazarus in 99 and Smith in 20.
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Gee the NSW media mafia have come out today to beat Cameron over the head. These usual suspects are criminals tbh. They are shameful and the lowest of the low.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Smith was going to be criticized no matter what announcement he made and how he made it. It wasn't they way "they thought he should do". The Sydney media are saying he did it the day before the season started so everyone would be talking about him and not the season. I think he did it then and so low key, so there would be something else to talk about really quickly. By mid afternoon today, they will be talking about nothing else but tonight's game. Tomorrow's Sydney media: Storm win- Storm prove they can move on without Smith and Storm lose-Storm not the same team without Smith, the era is over.

Does anybody know if the away team still has to fly in and out on game day this season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely bittersweet.

If the club didn’t have Brandon and Harry, I’m sure he would have played on. He wanted to. It just wasn’t going to be at the Storm and he couldn’t bring himself to play against the club he helped build.

Complete selflessness.

Yet the usual brigade still somehow twist things to make out he is selfish.

Not a popular opinion, but I would have preferred we just signed him up for another two years and dealt with the fallout in the backup hooker ranks as a result.

I selfishly wanted him to play on - even at another club - just to get to see him do it all over again.

Rest easy GOAT. You deserve it!
six rings
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... vmzzib8x1w

Cameron Smith didn't want to play against Melbourne Storm, reveals Mal Meninga
WRITTEN BY
TOM NAGHTEN

"I talked to Smithy twice basically, through the whole episode," Meninga said on Fox League.

"We talked about- he wanted to play. He left at the back end of last year obviously with a premiership, he's a champion and he still feels he could still play

"We talk as ex-players, you actually know when you're done and dusted. Your body falls apart, mentally you don't want to play anymore, you're sick of turning up to training and playing, that's how we feel - we're done."

Meninga agreed, but said the decision came down to Smith not wanting to face the club he played his entire career with.

"At the end of the day, he didn't want to play against Melbourne," Meninga added.

"He's Melbourne, he's been Melbourne all his career, he showed great loyalty to Melbourne and I feel he's made the right decision.

"As an old fella, I feel he's made the right decision for the right reasons. It's all about not playing against Melbourne."