2020 Grand Final - Panthers vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am“To the captain, I hope he can play on,” Smith said.

“I know it’s a tough situation for me but I wouldn’t want him carrying me to another couple of rings, I don’t think we should forced him out of the game.
I know it's just the emotions running high - same as Suli claiming he is not leaving the club :lol: but I really wish he felt like this when the endorphins aren't pumping.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paps aside, I though NAS and Suli were outstanding last night.

I'm glad Suli finished his time in a Storm jersey with a performance like that. One to remember. That intercept try was unbelievable. The Panthers were looking so dangerous but the split second Clearly let that ball go, you could sense Suli was going to latch onto it. Then he did exceptionally well to get to his feet, palm off Mansour and run the distance. Definite momentum swing.

NAS was involved in all the tough stuff needed. Hard runs and brutal defence. Speaking of brutal defence, Finucane put some shots on when he came on as well.

It wasn't the clinical performance we all would have hoped for - but who really cares at this point. PREMIERS!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The growth in Paps over the last couple of months has been astronomical. I think taking that field goal against the Chooks gave him the confidence he needed to be the guy he now is.

I can't remember where I saw it but someone said he was the difference between the 2020 version of the Storm to the one of the previous two years. They couldn't have been more right with that assessment.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think very fondly of Suli at all but it was a great last game for the club. I thought it may have been close to the CC if he dragged another try. Not only was the intercept a game changer but almost every run he had turned into a half break. Panthers had nothing for him.

NAS worked his ass off all game too. Really stepped up since getting the starting gig.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:30 am F*ck... What a feeling.

So deserved. Just unbelievable that we were able to do it after the year that was 2020. Congrats to every single person at the club. A special effort by the entire organisation. So, so proud.

Eat a fat c*ck Hooper, Kent, Crawley and virtually the entire city of Sydney. I hope that Storm Premiership stings so badly :lol:
This Premiership will be etched in stone in the history of our Club.

What a supreme effort by everyone associated with Melbourne Storm.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 am The growth in Paps over the last couple of months has been astronomical. I think taking that field goal against the Chooks gave him the confidence he needed to be the guy he now is.

I can't remember where I saw it but someone said he was the difference between the 2020 version of the Storm to the one of the previous two years. They couldn't have been more right with that assessment.
Blazza18 Paul Gallen in post game on Channel 9 said that Papenhuyzen was the x factor / extra gear this year that the Storm didn't have in the last two years.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Our most important , our best, premiership ever. Against all odds, a triumph that vindicates all that Craig , Frank and Cameron have put together over so many years.

This win caps off the glorious era that started back in 03. If we had lost, then the legacy would not have been as strong as it should have been. Robbed of the 07 and 09 trophies, the Storm would have been viewed by the League world as underachieving. Cam and Craig needed that extra trophy to cap off their careers together. They did it, against a worthy opponent in the most trying of years.

This one is for the ages - though every time I watch the replay I will fast forward through the last 12 minutes !!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am
blazza18 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 am The growth in Paps over the last couple of months has been astronomical. I think taking that field goal against the Chooks gave him the confidence he needed to be the guy he now is.

Blazza18 Paul Gallen in post game on Channel 9 said that Papenhuyzen was the x factor / extra gear this year that the Storm didn't have in the last two years.
Have always said Gallen was a smart man...
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RobbieRoss wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:53 am Our most important , our best, premiership ever. Against all odds, a triumph that vindicates all that Craig , Frank and Cameron have put together over so many years.

This win caps off the glorious era that started back in 03. If we had lost, then the legacy would not have been as strong as it should have been. Robbed of the 07 and 09 trophies,
You should be adding, robbed of the 2006 trophy. There has never been a more disgraceful showing of refereeing, video (as it was then) and on field as 2006, until this year. Fortunately we were able to overcome adversity and be on the right side of the ledger this time. (Still bitter!)
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Oh, and for anyone here who doesn’t like James Hooper...

https://twitter.com/jetzo_10/status/132 ... 80482?s=21

Reckon the Cheese has ever read any of his work?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good point Bullucked re:2006 the name Paul Simpkins still sends shivers down my spine. And I don't know what screen Bill Harrigan and Chris Ward were watching when they ruled Hoffy knocked on before the Matt King "no try."
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:20 pm Good point Bullucked re:2006 the name Paul Simpkins still sends shivers down my spine. And I don't know what screen Bill Harrigan and Chris Ward were watching when they ruled Hoffy knocked on before the Matt King "no try."
Yes you are absolutely right re 06. That was devastating. I still remember walking back with my kids to the hotel after catching the train back from the game and feeling totally cheated. We were lucky enough to catch the plane back to Melbourne the next day with the team, and as always the players were so good with my kids who were still decked out in their Storm gear, but it did feel like a morgue ( at least the pilot kept their concentration! )

The joy of winning does not match the pain of losing - especially losing like we did in 06 or 16 ( Fifita)... but it will have to do .

360 should be interesting tonight.!!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Serious question here, where do we rate NAS amongst our all time prop rotation? Specifically, where would you rate him as a bench/impact prop?

I reckon, if they pick a 25 year team, he'll have to go close.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:55 pm Serious question here, where do we rate NAS amongst our all time prop rotation? Specifically, where would you rate him as a bench/impact prop?

I reckon, if they pick a 25 year team, he'll have to go close.
NAS is literally and figuratively.....ENORMOUS.

His genuine presence and impact on the field stands him in good stead when compared to other Storm players and other Storm teams
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 am
yourhero wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am“To the captain, I hope he can play on,” Smith said.

“I know it’s a tough situation for me but I wouldn’t want him carrying me to another couple of rings, I don’t think we should forced him out of the game.
I know it's just the emotions running high - same as Suli claiming he is not leaving the club :lol: but I really wish he felt like this when the endorphins aren't pumping.
I'm happy to stand corrected but I believe Brandon said he would be happy for Cameron to carry him to another couple of rings (or words to that effect), not "I wouldn't want".