2020 Grand Final - Panthers vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
St Helens Storm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Delighted. I can’t imagine what it’s been like for the bubble, not just being away from home but away from family for so long. That was a huge sacrifice to make for themselves, the club and the sport as a whole and that win tonight is testament to the sacrifices made by everyone.

It wasn’t pretty. The first half was error strewn from both sides but we were clinical and ruthless and punished the Panthers’ errors. The second half was tough, we looked tired and Panthers’ youth and energy saw them come back.

Still, we’re winners and that’s all that matters.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Bloody fantastic!

Congrats to Storm- all squad and players! No ifs and what abouts . Got it done. Papi awesome, a number of others stood up - Solomona, Smith, Welch and Suli...

All things considered, What a great year!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just got back from the game. It was a really unusual and somewhat surreal experience.

I can’t say I was totally confident the guys were going to win (and I’ve been to the Storm’s past three GFs).

But man, this team with this coach. I hope everyone who reads this forum and/or supports the Melbourne Storm realises how lucky they are.

We’ve truly experienced greatness in its highest form. If you’re ever doing it tough in any aspect of your life just think of Bellamy, Smithy and the Storm and everything this club represents.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

They bloody deserved that. It was a joy to watch them all year. I'm glad Christian welch got a premiership after losing twice and missing out on 17
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

F*ck... What a feeling.

So deserved. Just unbelievable that we were able to do it after the year that was 2020. Congrats to every single person at the club. A special effort by the entire organisation. So, so proud.

Eat a fat c*ck Hooper, Kent, Crawley and virtually the entire city of Sydney. I hope that Storm Premiership stings so badly :lol:
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am loving the disappointment from Sydney media and fans and juat the absolute rubbish being spouted.

I was reading some comments on an article at half time that the referees gifted us the lead even saying that normally Smith's try at half time would normally be a penalty for Storm and they wouldn't be allowed to play. It is funny reading these comments when NSW fans say Victorians don't know the rules. Either they don't know the rules or are blinded so badly for their hatred for the Storm.

I also just saw an interview that included the following question "Were the Panthers robbed?" (that is what I get for watching an interview on Sunrise).

Given To'o try was clearly a no try and I don't think Jahrome should have been sinbinned. I know who was favoured by the refs and it wasn't the Storm.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Scooter wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:40 am I am loving the disappointment from Sydney media and fans and juat the absolute rubbish being spouted.

I was reading some comments on an article at half time that the referees gifted us the lead even saying that normally Smith's try at half time would normally be a penalty for Storm and they wouldn't be allowed to play. It is funny reading these comments when NSW fans say Victorians don't know the rules. Either they don't know the rules or are blinded so badly for their hatred for the Storm.

I also just saw an interview that included the following question "Were the Panthers robbed?" (that is what I get for watching an interview on Sunrise).

Given To'o try was clearly a no try and I don't think Jahrome should have been sinbinned. I know who was favoured by the refs and it wasn't the Storm.
You knew that the number one agenda in Sydney was going to be that the Panthers were robbed as soon as Olam was awarded the penalty try.

I actually think genuinely the refereeing was fine up until the obstruction try for both sides. From that point on it was a landslide to the Panthers.

Next thing to come out of Sydney will be the Storm should be investigated for possibly introducing the virus pandemic.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 amI actually think genuinely the refereeing was fine up until the obstruction try for both sides. From that point on it was a landslide to the Panthers.
I agree with that. Everything was OK until that obstruction play, then it seemed like Sutton did everything he could to get the Panthers back in the game. How the lima lima lima duck is that awarded in a Grand Final, can someone please tell me? Completely at odds with how the game has been officiated for years... The heavily biased commentary boxes couldn't believe it - though I note Gould seemed OK with it :lol:
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure anyone has loved the win last night more than Brandon. Champ Cheese.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am Not sure anyone has loved the win last night more than Brandon. Champ Cheese.
He was in fine form. His interviews were excellent. His Instagram stories were top notch. His dig at James Hooper, even better. I think he had 50 beers :lol:
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How about Ryan Papenhuyzen guys...

Third string fullback at the start of 2019. Manager was shopping him around and he wasn't wanted anywhere.
<<<Insert hard work and pure determination>>>
End of 2020 - Premiership winner. Clive Churchill Medalist. State of Origin selection.

His try off the scrum was the nail in the coffin. I thought he broke a tackle on first watch but he went through the line completely untouched. As soon as he was in open field, he just put his head down and you knew nobody was going to catch him. His repeat set grubber when we were down to 12 men. His effort to jump so far out the field of play and keep that ball alive off the Panthers penalty. CRITICAL moments and a deserving CC medal winner.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:45 am You knew that the number one agenda in Sydney was going to be that the Panthers were robbed as soon as Olam was awarded the penalty try.

I actually think genuinely the refereeing was fine up until the obstruction try for both sides. From that point on it was a landslide to the Panthers.
I agree with both your comments Shuttlesworth99.

When the penalty try was being adjudicated I was thinking how different the commentary would have been if it was Slater defending. It would have been complete opposite of what we got ... "Slater has form in this area, he is the reason the rule is in place etc."
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yourhero I agree with your comments about Papenhuyzen.

How about Brenko Lee? 12 months ago he was on the NRL scrapheap after not being re-contracted by Gold Coast Titans and after previous stints with Canberra and Bulldogs.

He signed a contract with Easts Tigers and is offered a pre-season with the Storm. He works hard during pre-season is upgraded to an NRL contract. Now he is an NRL premiership player and is in the Queensland State of Origin squad.

Well done Brenko.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. The Brenko story is equally amazing. That one is the quintessential Melbourne Storm fringe player/player on the NRL scrap heap - to Premiership success story. We have so many of them and is once again a testament to what this club does. Incredible.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c33b562289

‘Getting paid lots of money to do piss all!’: Cult hero blasts Bellamy in all-time Grand Final interview
October 26, 2020
SIMON BRUNSDON
FOX SPORTS

Brandon Smith is one of rugby league’s most likeable players, and he sure didn’t disappoint when giving an interview to Channel 9 after winning the NRL grand final on Sunday.

He even had the audacity to call out his coach Craig Bellamy in one of the all-time hilarious grand final interviews.

“It was pretty good, I mean I played pretty s**t tonight but I got the ring,” Smith told Brad Fittler.

“It’s for sale, I need to pay for all the beers I’m about to drink.

“I can’t wait to take this home to my mum and dad, they sacrificed to put me in this position I’m in so this is definitely for them.

“I can’t wait to get on the piss with all the boys.

“I’ll take anyone as long as they’ll drink a lot.

“We’ll get Christian Welch too drunk to play Origin... (Cameron Munster) will probably do something stupid.”

Smith was then asked if he planned to share a beer with the coach and the captain.

Bellamy has one season left on his contract, but captain Cameron Smith may retire.

Brandon Smith was full of praise for the skipper, but not so much for the coach.

“To the captain, I hope he can play on,” Smith said.

“I know it’s a tough situation for me but I wouldn’t want him carrying me to another couple of rings, I don’t think we should forced him out of the game.

“To Craig, he does nothing pretty much all year. Smithy does all the coaching, (Bellamy) is getting paid lots of money to do piss all.”