Preliminary Final - Storm vs Raiders

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Here
We
Go...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Raiders had some really good individual performances last night but I felt they were quite fortunate to hang on. Roosters created more chances but the Raiders took better advantage of theirs.

We can't have Papalii and Tapine just bash us in those first 20 minutes like they did last night. If we can get through that we'll have a very good chance of moving on.

A lot of it will come down to luck as well. Feel like we're owed some from last years finals series.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yes , I think a good result last night. A close game, a tough game, with the Raiders winning but not dominating.

Agree the first 20 minutes will be critical . With Dale still out, I expect NAS to start at 13. Cheese and Tino can come on when Papali and Tapine go off for a rest.

It would be great if big Tui could come up for the game..
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I feel the key will be stopping Papali.

Also they were so hungry last night, I wonder if they can keep that intensity 2 weeks in a row, they were running out of gas in the end last night.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stop chanze stop Bateman stop whitehead stop pappali
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 am Stop chanze stop Bateman stop whitehead stop pappali
LOL!

Score more points than them...

Unrelated, last nights Souffs v Parra, did Cook get his foot to the ball for the second half try at the 62 minute mark?
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Stopping Papali and their forwards is the key, I reckon we have more points in them, we just need to get in position.

We have also finished games really well all year, I think the game will be won in the back end. I think Canberra will come out all guns blazing, if we can hold them off early I think we can win.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Bullucked wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:29 am
sallymay wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 am Stop chanze stop Bateman stop whitehead stop pappali
LOL!

Score more points than them...

Unrelated, last nights Souffs v Parra, did Cook get his foot to the ball for the second half try at the 62 minute mark?

Fox commentators weren't sure at first and I thought it was back to the Slater field goal error but one of the replays showed his shin connected with it
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Last years prelim loss experience may just be to our benefit here. Very similar match-up against another good forward pack and neither will give an inch.
Can't help but feel that we will find a way. 22-18 win
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It was all about the Raiders getting revenge on the Roosters for least season, well we have some pay back this week, Canberra derailed our finals last year.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Dale Finucane today said he's in with a chance to play and got through some contact training.

Pretty promising after Frank Ponissi last week said he was only a slim chance due to a setback in his recovery. He'd be a huge in.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm Dale Finucane today said he's in with a chance to play and got through some contact training.

Pretty promising after Frank Ponissi last week said he was only a slim chance due to a setback in his recovery. He'd be a huge in.
Would be massive inclusion, even if he started on the bench. Chris Lewis didn't play any minutes in first final, so if Finucane near full fitness you would expect he would replace Lewis.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Unless it’s in a reduced role I’m not sure how helpful he’d be
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 pm Unless it’s in a reduced role I’m not sure how helpful he’d be
Last week, because Craig did not trust Chris Lewis to give him a go, Jesse played 55 minutes, Christian 54 and NAS 52. I reckon each of them would have been gassed with those numbers. If Dale can give us 20 -25 minutes that would be a huge help in sharing the load.

Of course he has to be good to go . You can’t muck around with calves ( speaking as someone in his 60s who popped his calf again last weekend during my VERY slow weekly run ! ) .
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... unscathed/

Storm v Raiders: Munster on track; Canberra unscathed
NRL.com
Mon 12 Oct 2020

Canberra went some way to vanquishing last year's grand final pain by exacting playoff revenge on the Roosters, but now mighty Melbourne are blocking their path to consecutive appearances in the season decider.

While Raiders stars Josh Papalii, Joe Tapine and Jack Wighton were willing their side to a famously gritty victory on Friday, the Storm enjoyed a rest having beaten Parramatta the week prior.

Melbourne haven't lost in Queensland for 19 matches, so Canberra are faced with a stiff task at Suncorp Stadium. However, Ricky Stuart's troops have proven time and again they thrive under adversity.

These teams have fought out some terrific games in recent times, not least in week one of the finals in 2019 when Canberra held on for a 12-10 victory at the Storm's AAMI Park fortress.

The Rundown

Team News
Storm: Star five-eighth Cameron Munster trained over the weekend and is on track to play after using the week off to rehab his knee injury. Back-rower Tom Eisenhuth (calf) could return, but middle forwards Dale Finucane (calf) and Tui Kamikamica (foot) were only considered outside hopes by football manager Frank Ponissi last week.
Raiders: With no major injuries from the Roosters game, Ricky Stuart could lock in an unchanged 17 for the second straight week.

Key match-up
Jesse Bromwich v Josh Papalii. The ever-consistent Bromwich has the challenge of shutting down opposing front-row enforcer Papalii, who has at times carried Canberra with his inspirational efforts. There are some other great one-on-one match-ups - namely five-eighths Cameron Munster and Jack Wighton - but it's in the engine room where this match is likely to be won.

Stat Attack
A 90 per cent completion rate (38/42 sets) propelled the Raiders to victory over the Roosters. The simplicity of holding the ball and desperation in defence could be the key to toppling the electric Storm, who completed at 73 per cent in their win against the Eels.