Finals Week 1

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:35 pm Apparently we're being investigated over the Suli cramp incident
Rightfully so in my opinion - we would have been extremely pissed off had the opposition stopped the game like that for a cramp while we were on the attack. I have no idea what sort of penalty could (and surely will) be imposed though for a trainer indiscretion.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hate to say it but I agree with you insomniac, it was very soccer-esque.

To be fair the trainer may not have known it was a cramp, they may have just seen Suli down and assume a serious injury.

What;s more it was consistent with what happened earlier, play was stopped for a while in the first half just so Ferguson could tape his knee.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 pm How it wasn't advantage to Papenhuyzen is beyond me, as was the ruling on their kick not being advantage taken. No point in the rule if that's how it's policed.
Are you referring to the linebreak after the eels broke the scrum early? I don't think the advantage rule applies to scrum infringements. I don't think you can take a quick tap after a scrum infringement either.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So stopping the game for a cramp = we are the biggest cheats in the game and it was a pre-planned tactic to leave our defensive line one man down.

But Elliott Whitehead stopping us from attacking last Finals series for the girliest of scratches on his knee, all good?

I didn’t agree with the game stopping last year. I didn’t agree with it last week. But I particularly don’t agree with the hypocrisy of outrage based on who did it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am still f*cking furious that Smith was charged with a Dangerous Throw. The MRC And NRL admin, are a pathetic joke. Just reacting to a groundswell of retarded Sydney fans hoping to see Smith miss a Finals game.

MRC chairman (and former Manly player) Michael Robertson made the call to charge Smith and should quite frankly lose his job.

Video of the tackle is shown in this news article. It is as innocuous a one on one tackle as you will see.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/phil ... 6d88b41e38
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pole wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am Hate to say it but I agree with you insomniac, it was very soccer-esque.

To be fair the trainer may not have known it was a cramp, they may have just seen Suli down and assume a serious injury.

What;s more it was consistent with what happened earlier, play was stopped for a while in the first half just so Ferguson could tape his knee.
I think it was Sivo that got his knee taped.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I do wonder if Storm should've fought the charge. The piece on nrl.com says we were seriously considering it.

What I find confusing is the tackle really wasn't much of anything but could cost a player 1 game. JWH hits a dude in the head but cops a fine? Some real inconsistencies in that for me.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:17 am I didn’t agree with the game stopping last year. I didn’t agree with it last week. But I particularly don’t agree with the hypocrisy of outrage based on who did it.
Completely agree, and this is what infuriates me the most - it's the double standard and hypocrisy of the reporting, MRC charges, and general bias against us for incidents that involve our club.

Incidents involving any other club are treated/reported as a matter of fact with benefit of the doubt given to the player/team in most cases ("he's not that sort of player", "it was purely accidental", "there wasn't much in it", "it would be a shame to miss a game for that"), but with us the media agenda of systematic cheating, dirty/grubby tactics, wrestling (including inventing/introducing new & intentionally damaging techniques that have never been seen before in the NRL) is pushed, reinforced and supported by everyone north of the Victorian border.

I don't know why it still does, but it astounds me that so many people are so brain-dead and can't think for themselves that they just eat that crap up.

It does make winning sweeter though.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just listened to an interview Frank Ponissi did on SEN yesterday:
- He called the charge on Cameron Smith "harsh" and that the Storm were "disappointed" he was charged and that Frank viewed it as a 50-50 charge and that at this time of year that he would hope the player would be given the benefit of the doubt.
- If that charge had have been laid during the regular season the club would have fought it but the risk of missing a preliminary final was just too great.
- Storm expect Cameron Munster to do a full week of training next week and play in preliminary final.
- Dale Finucane and Tui Kamikamica are both "battling" to be fit for the preliminary final but would both be available for the Grand Final if we make it.
- The players were surprised at the pro-Parramatta crowd on Saturday and surprised that they were booed when they came out for warm up.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:07 pm I just listened to an interview Frank Ponissi did on SEN yesterday:
- He called the charge on Cameron Smith "harsh" and that the Storm were "disappointed" he was charged and that Frank viewed it as a 50-50 charge and that at this time of year that he would hope the player would be given the benefit of the doubt.
- If that charge had have been laid during the regular season the club would have fought it but the risk of missing a preliminary final was just too great.
- Storm expect Cameron Munster to do a full week of training next week and play in preliminary final.
- Dale Finucane and Tui Kamikamica are both "battling" to be fit for the preliminary final but would both be available for the Grand Final if we make it.
- The players were surprised at the pro-Parramatta crowd on Saturday and surprised that they were booed when they came out for warm up.
Thanks Scooter . I just heard the interview, and whilst very good news re Munster, I was shocked particularly re Dale . Clearly he must have had a relapse in his recovery- it has been way too long since he did the calf. Craig basically played last weekend with 15 blokes , as he wouldn’t trust Hynes till he had too and Lewis at all. Dale is vital to our rotations so he remains a big out. Tui , next man up , is out too. Then Tom E - out too. Then Max King - out too.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just by way of further update, Frank’s injury update has just been posted to the Storm website in the last hour.

1. Dale indeed has had a setback last week, so most unlikely to play next week.
2. Tui also unlikely , but a slightly better chance than Dale.
3. Tom should be ok to train next week, and play.

So that sounds like Tom will come in for Chris Lewis as the only change. Craig might consider Darryn or Albert in for Nicho, with Tom able to cover the outside backs; but I think he will keep Nicho who can also cover in the halves .
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So a few days ago one of the boys went live on insta in the team room I can’t remember who it was but in the back ground Dale was standing there with a few of the guys and his foot was in a boot ...so I doubt he is even training atm
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And right on cue the NRL have decided to double the fine that was given to the Titans earlier in the year ($5,000), for the exact same 'offence', handing us a $10,000 breach notice for the Suli stoppage for a cramp - once again, we are being used to make an example out of... FFS! :roll:
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What a farce.

Typical NRL, making shit up as they go along.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm should fight the fine. Even if they did use it as a tactical advantage there is no way of proving the trainer stopped the game because he thought is wasn't something more serious than a cramp.