Finals Week 1

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am Article from Sporting News Australia pushing for a Cameron Smith suspension for "lifting" tackle on Dylan Brown. Of course the NSW morons (sorry Rugby League fans) are lapping it up.
Not sure it helps but that's not actually a real person (the byline I mean). It's a pseudonym. Try to ignore it.

Pretty crazy to think in two weeks the club could have both Tui Kamikamica back and Dale Finucane. Pretty weird how Chris Lewis wasn't brought on last night but surely that was due to the pace of the game?

So essentially, while the Eels were down to 15 Bellamy basically only used 15 players (not including Hynes who came on in the last 10 or so when Munster went off).
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Tui and Dale are both fit. Obviously Chris Lewis and I assume Nicho drop out. Although this means we don't really have outside back coverage on the bench.

Shame that Lewis didn't get some game time. I think if Kenny wasn't penalised and the lead was still 18 not 12 I think Lewis would have got a run.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:21 am
Scooter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am Article from Sporting News Australia pushing for a Cameron Smith suspension for "lifting" tackle on Dylan Brown. Of course the NSW morons (sorry Rugby League fans) are lapping it up.
Not sure it helps but that's not actually a real person (the byline I mean). It's a pseudonym. Try to ignore it.

Pretty crazy to think in two weeks the club could have both Tui Kamikamica back and Dale Finucane. Pretty weird how Chris Lewis wasn't brought on last night but surely that was due to the pace of the game?

So essentially, while the Eels were down to 15 Bellamy basically only used 15 players (not including Hynes who came on in the last 10 or so when Munster went off).
How often do we see articles criticising Storm written by Fox Sports staffers?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cameron Smith charged with dangerous throw, 100 base points. If he pleads guilty, free to play in preliminary final with 75 carry over points. If it happened during the season I reckon we would challenge it, but given it is a final I would have thought Storm would have already pled guilty.

Marata Niukore charged with crusher tackle. If he pleads guilty, 2 week suspension. Not helped by previous crusher tackle, coincidentally against Storm.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The timing not helped with Kikau doing a similar tackle the night before. Not really a lot in it and agree if it was round 5 we'd challenge it.

I'm not sure we need both Dale and Tui in the 17. Not with Brandon being another middle forward as well. Think Tui will be the unlucky one. Hynes' probably more valuable in an in case of emergency role. Specially if Munster plays.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:12 pm The timing not helped with Kikau doing a similar tackle the night before. Not really a lot in it and agree if it was round 5 we'd challenge it.

I'm not sure we need both Dale and Tui in the 17. Not with Brandon being another middle forward as well. Think Tui will be the unlucky one. Hynes' probably more valuable in an in case of emergency role. Specially if Munster plays.
Fair call.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:11 pm Go back and watch that six again call. Just embarrassing
Still mad at this going totally unnoticed. Feel like if we got the advantage the media would be screaming conspiracy.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

All in all I'm happy with the result, and letting in 4 tries isn't such a bad thing. The rule changes this season has caused much higher scoring games, finals are often grinding defensive battles with only 1-2 tries scored by either said, yet this weekend each game there was 50+ points.

We've been very shakey in the last 5 years in the Qualifying final and to walk away with a game where we could take the foot off the gas for the last 10-15 minutes was pleasing.

Even at 12-0 I knew if we could score next we would be right back in it, we were always looking dangerous and Parra were defending out of their skin, it was only a matter of time before they tired.

The no advantage call at the end of the first half was a joke, as what that random offside call on Bromwich. Other than that I though Klein was OK.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How it wasn't advantage to Papenhuyzen is beyond me, as was the ruling on their kick not being advantage taken. No point in the rule if that's how it's policed.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 pm How it wasn't advantage to Papenhuyzen is beyond me, as was the ruling on their kick not being advantage taken. No point in the rule if that's how it's policed.
Agree, but IMO for a Klein game we got away lightly haha
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Pole wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:08 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 pm How it wasn't advantage to Papenhuyzen is beyond me, as was the ruling on their kick not being advantage taken. No point in the rule if that's how it's policed.
Agree, but IMO for a Klein game we got away lightly haha
Agree. He has done a lot worse over the years .
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm have announced that Cameron Smith has lodged early guilty plea. Free to play in Preliminary Final but with 75 carry over points.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:14 pm Storm have announced that Cameron Smith has lodged early guilty plea. Free to play in Preliminary Final but with 75 carry over points.
As expected but man... I am getting serious 2008 vibes.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm really were put in a hard place here. It really wasn't much of a tackle but there's no way you risk appealing and being found guilty. Trust Smith to stay out of trouble in the prelim but any little thing is going to screw him if he's put on report.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently we're being investigated over the Suli cramp incident