Finals Week 1

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Too often we try to hit the home run play. Just need to show some patience and points will come. There are holes all over their defence.

Fair play to them on their two tries. Do think our stupidity played a part in both.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go back and watch that six again call. Just embarrassing
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

We are letting in too many points
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am hoping Munster was just knee on knee contact. But unfortunately Munster didn't look happy.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Big concerns coming out of that game - handling, discipline, and defence we were very poor at times, and no Munster moving forward will hurt against the Panthers, Roosters, and/or Raiders.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

24 points looks gross but I dunno if the defence was too bad overall. Just gotta clean things up.

Munster looked pretty dejected. Hard to see him being ready in 2 weeks. A huge out and some big decisions ahead.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Insomniac wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm Big concerns coming out of that game - handling, discipline, and defence we were very poor at times, and no Munster moving forward will hurt against the Panthers, Roosters, and/or Raiders.
Give over - what’s with the negativity on here? Sure we were sloppy at times, made some strange errors and lake concentration.
However, some of the attack was scintillating, Papi was unplayable at times, we stayed calm enough to come back from 0-12 down and defended our line when we really needed to. Welch, Olam, Wombat and JAC were superb and Suli was actually very solid. All this against the backdrop of another inept refereeing display from Mr Klein - his no advantage call was the cherry on top.

We don’t have the rite to beat everyone 70-0. The comp is quite even at the top. Take the W. Not perfect but don’t find disaster where there ain’t one...
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

blazza18 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:58 pm 24 points looks gross but I dunno if the defence was too bad overall. Just gotta clean things up.

Munster looked pretty dejected. Hard to see him being ready in 2 weeks. A huge out and some big decisions ahead.
Bellamy said in this presser that it’s a twinge and not too serious.

I don’t see the big decision any way. You play Jacks or Hynes at 6 if Munster is injured
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

All in all a good win. Left edge was on fire all night. Some strange errors at times and we possibly did take odd decisions when well placed to score or set up another good play.

Here’s my marks out of ten

Papi - 9.5. Near faultless. Breathtaking. I honestly think he is equal to Tedesco. Plus he’s cooler.
Suli - 8 - Some brilliant offloading and no silly errors
Lee - 7 Solid enough, took a few strange options in attack
Olam - 9- just rocks this guy. Attack and defence. What a gun.
JAC - 9 - He was brilliant. Ball carrying and defence were top drawer
Munster - 8.5 Another polished effort before injury
Hughes -8 - got better as game went on. Should have tackled Lane for the Eels 4th try.
J Brom - 8.5 - Big game from the big guy
Cam - 9 - suspect he kept us calm enough when needed. Brilliant with the boot.
Welch - 9 - find a way to keep him. He was brilliant in the 2nd half
Kaufusi - 8 - very solid, mean defence as usual.
K Brom - 9 - Key part of the left edge. The pass for the Papi 1st try was delicious.
Solomona - 8 - Strong game with no memorable errors

Wombat - 9 - what an impact. Somebody tell him he’s the best impact forward in the comp. not a 9.
Tino - 8 - Solid outing as usual
Hynes - 7 - some nice kicks in his limited time
Lewis - strange he didn’t get on. I’m sure Eisenhuth would have.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 am
Insomniac wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm Big concerns coming out of that game - handling, discipline, and in defence we were very poor at times, and no Munster moving forward will hurt against the Panthers, Roosters, and/or Raiders.
Give over - what’s with the negativity on here? Sure we were sloppy at times, made some strange errors and lake concentration...
Exactly! Do you seriously think that being sloppy, making strange errors and lacking concentration is going to beat the likes of the Panthers, Roosters, or Raiders in the finals?

I certainly didn't say it was a disaster, but that performance (particularly in the first half) is a concern now that there are no more second chances and we'll be facing tougher opposition from here on.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Insomniac wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:17 am
SunshineCoastStormer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 am
Insomniac wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:57 pm Big concerns coming out of that game - handling, discipline, and in defence we were very poor at times, and no Munster moving forward will hurt against the Panthers, Roosters, and/or Raiders.
Give over - what’s with the negativity on here? Sure we were sloppy at times, made some strange errors and lake concentration...
Exactly! Do you seriously think that being sloppy, making strange errors and lacking concentration is going to beat the likes of the Panthers, Roosters, or Raiders in the finals?

I certainly didn't say it was a disaster, but that performance (particularly in the first half) is a concern now that there are no more second chances and we'll be facing tougher opposition from here on.
Possibly overpicked on your post but the tone of the board including one about us choking was just annoying. We can identify areas to work on but let’s give some balance and credit to the performance..

We were not perfect by any means but we were playing the team who finished 3rd who, despite an average 2nd half of season, are still packed with some excellent players.

We are not likely to play a perfect game in finals as the opposition are not likely to let us...Panthers were great v the Roosters but have some things to work on. I bet the majority of their fans are focussing on the games positives...
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

I think the league run in, where we played pretty weak teams in the final 3 games of the season, didn’t help us. A big test game say in week 19 would have been a nice marker for the finals.

The Parra game has given it to us now and we’ve come through so let’s sit back, watch the Raiders and Roosters take lumps out of each other next week and see who we get...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article from Sporting News Australia pushing for a Cameron Smith suspension for "lifting" tackle on Dylan Brown. Of course the NSW morons (sorry Rugby League fans) are lapping it up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:20 am Article from Sporting News Australia pushing for a Cameron Smith suspension for "lifting" tackle on Dylan Brown. Of course the NSW morons (sorry Rugby League fans) are lapping it up.
:lol: Shouldn’t have even been a penalty :lol:
Utha
Squall
Squall

Last night was Storm's 50th final (and 31st win, to go with 19 losses), and Cam Smith has played in 40 of them. He's played in 40 of our last 42 finals (only missing 08 prelim. final and grand final due to that suspension).

By way of comparison, In VFL/AFL the finals record holder is Michael Tuck with 39.