Round 20 - Dragons vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Scooter wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:57 pm Notes from press conference:
- Craig was proud of efforts. A couple of things they would have liked to have done better but will learn from.
- Finished game with 12 players (didn't replace Lewis when he went off for HIA) because only player on bench was Brandon Smith and he had cooled down and wasn't worth bringing him back on because of chance of injury.
- Tui unlikely to play next week because of ankle. Sounds reasonably serious.
- Craig noted that they planned for Tui to play 60 - 65 minutes. So the injury impacted interchange plans.
- Papenhuyzen off to rest / manage his achilles.
- Rested players because of possible 5 day break (now 6 day break), couldn't move from 2nd, same day travel to and from Sunshine Coast and to give reward to guys like Pene and Booth who had been training with passion all year but hadn't been playing.
- Was asked about Max King's tackle. Said didn't have good look in box, but looked like there were bodies going everywhere in tackle.
- Was also asked about Brandy's "intent to injure" comment re King tackle. Craig that was ridiculous and that no player in the competition goes out to intentionally injure another player.
- Was asked about reports that he has already signed with Broncos for 2022 and said he put out a statement during the week, he hasn't signed anything for 2022 and wouldn't talk about it until after the finals (Frank tried to pull plug on press conference then and Craig stood up but then there were a couple of other footy questions asked)
- Said Eels, like all finals opponents would be tough, and that Eels has good win last time they played and Eels were form side early in season.
Good summary, good on him for shutting down Greg Alexander's comments. The guy just hates Melbourne, I can;'t stand him and in general the Fox Commentators!

PS- and 2 "at the end of the days" only this week.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Overall can't be disappointed with that result, although I always hate losing.

I think the difference in the end was our blokes weren't fully match fit and lacked experience too, but they can be forgiven for both.

How about the Dragons carrying on like they've won a final when they crossed in the 77th minute? Did they not realise just just scored against a 12 man reserve grade Storm team? lima lima lima duck clowns
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hahaha, what a win for the Dragons. One to celebrate for years to come :lol: Proud of our guys. Especially the start to the game, I thought we were very good.

Brandon with 202m and 34 tackles was huge but I do agree with Blazza, that run first mentality needs to be tempered a little bit. It stifles our attack at times.

Paps was in everything as per usual. Not sure Craig wanted to see him get smashed so many times... Lewis was excellent on the edge and Johns held his own quite well - Glad to see him set up a try and a couple of attacking chances. Pene looked good on debut with his runs.

The loss of Tui is the big talking point out of this game. So, so disappointing. I think he was ready for a huge Finals run. Any word on severity as yet?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also, in that try to Frizell, did anyone else think that Frizell pushed Hynes out of play in a very similar fashion to what Leutele did earlier? It certainly wasn't shoulder to shoulder, jostling for the ball. Tyson reached out in front of Hynes and pushed him with his hand. But all good? I don't think I agree with that one.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If Nicho had fallen over, there would have been a good argument.

I thought the penalty try was probably there, but it was soft. Not a 50/50 call, more like 75/25 imo.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am comfortable with the Penalty Try decision earlier in the game. I just think there was inconsistency when you look at the last try to Frizell.

Either you can reach out with your hand, or you can't.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:08 amBrandon with 202m and 34 tackles was huge but I do agree with Blazza, that run first mentality needs to be tempered a little bit. It stifles our attack at times.
I really do love him as a player but seeing him play hooker for long stretches for multiple games this season has been a real eye opener to me. Has plenty of heart and talent but very thankful we have Grant coming through as well.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blazza18 I think Brandon's best position at this stage is playing as the hard running middle forward not as dummy half / hooker.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Brandon's best position at this stage is playing as the hard running middle forward not as dummy half / hooker.

I've always thought that Brandon would be best replicating Hinchy's old role of middle forward /part time hooker. That said I'm not sure that Brandon would agree.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

What are people's thoughts at Brandon starting at lock? Maybe a hint of next year?
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Pole wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 pm What are people's thoughts at Brandon starting at lock? Maybe a hint of next year?
i think it could be a hint to this week
we could then line up
13. B.Smith
14. Tino
15. NAS
16. Eisenhuth
17 Hynes

If they want Hynes to be a utility role of the bench and cover our backs, id like to see B.Smith start rather then him on bench aswell, allows us to use Tino and NAS like we were earlier in the year off the bench for real impact.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could also start Eisenhuth to be a defensive blunt and then use the others for some punch.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:06 pm
yourhero wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:08 amBrandon with 202m and 34 tackles was huge but I do agree with Blazza, that run first mentality needs to be tempered a little bit. It stifles our attack at times.
I really do love him as a player but seeing him play hooker for long stretches for multiple games this season has been a real eye opener to me. Has plenty of heart and talent but very thankful we have Grant coming through as well.
Yep agreed. Every time I see him at 9 he does OK, but its the same as back in the day playing Cam Smith at 7, Billy at centre or Cronk at 6. They would have done OK, but its not their best position.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:27 pm Brandon has such a lack of how to control agame at hooker. He just runs. I love him but it’s annoying
Hallelujah

Let me just say having met the bloke, he is absolute salt of the earth, most impressed by him, but, he is Isaac Luke mark 2. He is brilliant off the bench and his role is just as, if not more important than a starting hooker. I keep banging on about it but bench spots should be rated as highly as starting spots, it is after all a team sport.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he has legitimate value in being our starting lock moving forward. He can use his passing ability as a link player like what the top locks are doing now and still do what he does best in the middle. I'm not too sure he'll want to do that but he'd be great at it.