Trial Games 2020

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Who got the first try?
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:52 pm Who got the first try?
Olam IIRC off a grubber. He managed to just get it in time.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good game...bit to work on...also Munster apparently hurt his ankle

They have 2 weeks before RD 1 so should be on

Harry has to play 14 he just has too
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some good signs from the trial. I thought our forwards did really well early on. Dale and Jesse getting through a lot of work and constantly bending the line. Tui chiming in as well. Olam looking strong in defence.

Some other things need work. Papenhuyzen, Vunivalu and Hynes all putting down high balls. Goal kicking was abysmal with a couple missed from virtually in front. I think for Cam’s first one he might have kicked off the ground / no kicking tee.

We obviously held the ball a lot better than the Cowboys and was probably the difference in the end. Definitely want good completions in the early rounds.

Hopefully NAS and Welch come back in for Round 1 and Cheese not far behind.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

An Age article I was reading was Craig B. not having the GOAT play the full 80mins.Could that be a precursor for a hooker transition ? The other thing worth pondering especially with C Smith, was that his history with our club is legendary and probably he deserves to play for as long as he chooses. That said with two great hookers in reserve, does he get full reign to play as long as he wants because of who he is or do we start to encourage retirement thoughts with the appropriate post-football pathway in place? I'm not sure what the best solution is.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta start transitioning ...can’t lose two hookers under 22 for a 37 year weather he is an immortal or not that’s just bad management even smithy has to see that

Craig is also looking at Brenko instead of Maz ...that will be interesting
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I haven't been able to watch the Cowboys trial as yet, but I was more impressed by Brenko than Marion in the other preseason games. In saying that, I thought Seve was pretty reliable for us last year when he played.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Insomniac wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:18 pm I haven't been able to watch the Cowboys trial as yet, but I was more impressed by Brenko than Marion in the other preseason games. In saying that, I thought Seve was pretty reliable for us last year when he played.
My thoughts exactly. He's good depth but he's not playing before Lee at the moment.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't know if we can have Suli and Brenko defend next to each other. Seve is probably the safer option but will need to offer a lot more than he did last season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So from the Cowboys game, NQ scored three tries.

1. Off a Papenhuyzen dropped bomb. The ball held up in the wind resulting in Paps having to sprint onto the high ball which was always going to be risky.

2. A nice grubber kick by Morgan for Holmes. Paps again was slightly out of position and our inside guys didn't chase hard to cover the kick, but overall NQ just executed very well and it was a tough try to stop.

3. Tom Eisenhuth at left centre beaten on the outside by the pace of Val Holmes. Not overly concerned as I doubt Eisenhuth will play left centre unless we have a bunch of injuries.

Better teams may have scored more points but the Cowboys handling wasn't crash hot.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When was the last time we won two trials in pre-season? Not sure what to take away from that... Probably the same thing we take away each year, not a whole lot.
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:06 am When was the last time we won two trials in pre-season? Not sure what to take away from that... Probably the same thing we take away each year, not a whole lot.
Hahaha so true
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:06 am When was the last time we won two trials in pre-season? Not sure what to take away from that... Probably the same thing we take away each year, not a whole lot.
Surely it means we can expect some new silverware for the cabinet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Danger D wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:24 am
Surely it means we can expect some new silverware for the cabinet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would like to see that
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wouldn't we all!