The Annual "Wrestling" Media Attack on the Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 am Not exactly wrestling but Foxsports have started the hatchet job on us earlier than usual.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 62616272c6
Tom must be new to league. Storm have always, and will continue to lose big name players as by virtue of playing for the Storm they are in an elite category. I am sure when Eisenhuth eventually leaves we will have lost an experienced star forward utility.

Anyway, Tom may need to read other articles about Hughes as the manager has pretty much all but backtracked after he tried to make a name for himself and cash in on the whole contract ordeal and the Dolphins entry to the league.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It's always something with these media clowns, the evil storm strike again.... allegedly.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 839d8c1cec
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paul Kent, his 360 producers, and the people of Fox knew exactly what they were doing with that segment. The Storm and Brandon Smith should be extremely pissed off.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Remember a couple of years back when this happened to Munster every week? Where was that kent then?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Christian Welch just criticised the biased Sydney NRL media on SEN when asked about Paul Kent's thoughts. He also added that in terms of training to hurt people that this is rubbish and that the NRL media could come down and watch the Storm train because Gosch's Paddock is open to the public. Although, that wouldn't generate any clicks.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good on you Welchy
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It must be nearly finals and we must nearly due to play Penrith. With Brandy coming again this week blaming the Storm for the creation of every bad tackle when discussing Pat Carrigan's hip drop tackle.

BTW Fox Sports and SEN you need to go to the fridge take out the Custard and throw it out because it is off.

Article from the Age with Matt Tripp having a go at Brandy.

‘Beyond absurd’: Storm owner lashes Alexander over wrestling accusation
By Adam Pengilly, Adrian Proszenko and Dan Walsh
August 5, 2022 — 8.29am The Age

Furious Storm owner Matt Tripp has lashed Penrith deputy chairman Greg Alexander as “beyond absurd” and said he has to turn the volume down when watching games called by the rugby league legend in the latest twist to the wrestling furore.

Just a week before Melbourne and Penrith meet in a late-season blockbuster, Tripp launched a withering response to Alexander’s accusations all the dangerous tackling techniques that have infiltrated the game in the past two decades have been introduced by the Storm.

The Melbourne chairman took the unusual step of getting on the front foot over Alexander’s accusation, which came hours before Craig Bellamy’s side played the Titans at AAMI Park on Friday night.

Tripp claimed “everyone in the club is hurt” over the latest finger pointing at the Storm, telling the Herald and The Age: “Firstly I want to say I’m not one these conspiracy theorists that think Sydney media has it in for the Melbourne Storm. In fact, quite the opposite.

“I think in recent times there’s been an excellent balance in how they assess the Melbourne Storm and the way they go about their football.

“The fact is Greg Alexander is an exception to that rule and has been a Melbourne Storm detractor for many years, to the extent that when he’s commentating one of our games, most of us down here in Melbourne have to watch it with the volume turned down because he’s so biased and so one-sided and so anti-Melbourne that not only is he embarrassing himself, but he’s embarrassing the broadcasters he represents.

“To suggest we would create a tackle to deliberately maim and injure people is beyond absurd, and I would hope that if he had his time again he wouldn’t make such a ridiculous comment.”

Tripp’s retort to Alexander’s spray came as Cronulla coach Craig Fitzgibbon gave a rare public rebuke of the match review committee, with the Sharks baffled by the NRL’s explanation of why Tevita Tatola was not charged for a tackle that has sidelined Will Kennedy for the next month.

Vision of the incident does not appear to show Tatola making a concerted effort to swivel his body per other clear-cut hip-drop tackles, but Sharks officials privately maintain Tatola’s tackling technique was careless in that his full body-weight landed on Kennedy’s ankle with momentum regardless.

“I didn’t understand the explanation, but it is what it is,” Fitzgibbon said ahead of Cronulla’s derby game against the Dragons.

“You really don’t want to get stuck and dwell on what you can’t control. But we lose a good player and an important part of our team for an extended period and there’s no charge.”

Earlier this week, Brisbane’s Patrick Carrigan was rubbed out for four matches for a tackle which broke the ankle of Tigers star Jackson Hastings.

Alexander had on Friday morning pinned the blame for the hip-drop and other dangerous tackling techniques solely at the door of the Storm.

“I didn’t think it was any type of revelation… I thought it was just general consensus that over the last 20 years that all the tackles, the wrestling techniques had come out of Melbourne,” Alexander said on Breakfast with Vossy and Brandy on SEN on Friday morning.

“These tackles over the last 20 years, all the different types of techniques, they appear in the game and it takes the game a little while to catch up to them.

“I remember watching in 2020 and noticing tackles. Not just Melbourne Storm players, but two of the first three charges of 2020 for hip-drop tackles were Melbourne Storm players, Jesse Bromwich and Max King.

“I distinctly remember the Max King incident because I was calling the game. Max King just fell on the back of Blake Lawrie’s leg.

“I think history shows – and it’s not a stretch for me to jump to a Melbourne Storm conclusion – that the grapple, the chicken wing, the rolling pin, the crusher, the hip-drop – I think they all emanate out of Melbourne. Melbourne have led the way. They have changed the game back in 2002-03 where the wrestle became part of the game.”

Thirteen players have been charged with hip-drop tackles through 20 rounds this season, with another 23 concerning act notices issued to players where no charge is recorded.

The figures continue a steady increase in the tackling style in recent seasons, prompting NRL general manager of elite football Graham Annesley to issue a hip-drop explainer video to clubs as recently as May this year.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Considering his comments, the club should sue him. I'm disappointed we aren't already. Only way he, or any of the other morons will ever attempt to be people instead of wankers.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Another story today in the daily telegraph about NAS being the worse player in the NRL for dirty play. Spring is in the air, finals are starting and the Sydney media are back writing the same stories again.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

glennb wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:45 am Another story today in the daily telegraph about NAS being the worse player in the NRL for dirty play. Spring is in the air, finals are starting and the Sydney media are back writing the same stories again.
Gotta take the focus of jwh somehow.... that bloke is a grub that all others should be measured against.
Nas mightn't be a choir boy, buy he looks like one compared to jwh.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This has nothing to do with media being against us. NAS continues to drop elbows on or near opponents heads and it's kinda ridiculous that he's only copping fines for it. The club really need to get into his head that what he's doing is dirty and dangerous and it's only going to get worse for everyone if he continues to do it.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:33 am This has nothing to do with media being against us. NAS continues to drop elbows on or near opponents heads and it's kinda ridiculous that he's only copping fines for it. The club really need to get into his head that what he's doing is dirty and dangerous and it's only going to get worse for everyone if he continues to do it.
I'm not sure anyone condones some of nas' on field antics. But to suggest he's the sole perpetrator competition wide and the only one who deserves scrutiny or punishment, as seems to be peddled by parts of the media is pretty ordinary. Look at the amount of publicity on nas, vs the publicity, or lack thereof around jwh after Fridays game. Anyone would think jwh didn't nearly get sent off for repeated and deliberate attempts to injure while nas was eating babies and killing people on live tv..... that's biased an inaccurate, that's what most of us are complaining about.

Now, 'jwh does it', isn't a green light for nas to go unchecked, I agree. But if we're targeting foul play, let's be consistent, especially those in the media.

My biggest concern is, even something minor by nas in the next few weeks will be blown out of all proportion and see the nrl overreact and ban him at a crucial point in the season, when really, if they were going to act, they should have done so weeks ago
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Exactly, nobody is saying NAS is in the right, just that JWH and Radley and Lodge seem to be glossed over because they have mates in the media.

Also Tedesco is really annoying me with his carry on, he's become the second coming of Braith Anasta, Mr permanently surprised himself.
Shuttlesworth99
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The most glossed over point is that there is a Storm player who won’t be playing for the rest of the year because of a preventable act.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Shuttlesworth99 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:16 pm The most glossed over point is that there is a Storm player who won’t be playing for the rest of the year because of a preventable act.
I just hope that isn't Tom's last action in a Storm jersey.