Noosa trial match vs. Tweed Heads

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

OK... I know most of you have been dying to hear how everyone went, even though most already know that the Storm won 28-14.

Our Storm looked a class above Tweed Heads all night (as they should), and would have scored a lot more points if it weren't for very poor handling. Both sides dropped the ball in what seemed like just about every second set of 6. I only remember a few times that we actually kicked down field after our set! I put most of the poor handling down to the conditions though, as it was very hot and humid, and the ground was very sandy, and at times looked more like a Suncorp Stadium game.

The game was played in quarters due to the heat, and each time the Storm resumed play, they were a different side - literally! Bellamy tried a lot of combinations out on the night, and the game certainly went up a notch once Howe appeared. A definite highlight was the Storm's big defense, with most of the match being played at which ever end Tweed Heads were defending.

Most reports have singled out Hill as the main play-maker on the night, and while it was a welcome sight seeing Hill directing traffic effectively, I must say that McFadden was carving them up just as much as Hilly, and was very impressive at half-back (although we know that's not where he'll play when Orford is around!). There were a lot of short passes being thrown around, and if our big guys that were running onto them could've just held onto the ball, it would have been a cricket score.

As for who else played well, it is a little hazy to say. The team that actually played was vastly different to the named line-up and changed each quarter, and there were quite a few young guys running around that I didn't recognise. Jersey numbers were also all over the place, which didn't help. The ground announcer was definately not being payed by the word, as he was quiet most of the night, and could hardly be heard when he did mumble after a try had been scored.

What I can say is that the #4, who I believe was Cooper Cronk (although Dustin Cooper's name has been thrown around as the kicker?), was very impressive, kicking 4 from 5, and had a hand in carving up Tweed Heads.
The #14, who I am yet to find out the name of, was awesome, cutting Tweed to pieces every time he got the ball, and almost scored two tries from within Storm territory. His long, carving runs showcased impressive speed, and set up a try that he certainly deserved to have his name next to.

Generally the team played ok. After the game McFadden apologised for the poor standard of football, which was only marred by poor handling. The team were very accommodating when it came to photos, so I should have some to post when I get my film developed tonight.

I spoke to Kirk who was very appreciative of the support that was there, and commented that he was glad to have played that game before they went to Toowoomba to play the Broncos. He was completely exhausted with the heat, and covered in sand and sweat.

The only other news on the night was seeing Bell on crutches :cry: , no sign of Slater or Ross, didn't see Orford, and Moala indicated they he expects to play on the wing this year (for anyone trying to figure out the backline puzzle this year).
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thanks man, ive been hanging for a report.
tdcockers
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

hey thats cool, i was beginning to think i was the only storm supporter on the sunshine coast :D

great summary IS, nearly made up for the disappointment of not being able to be there :(
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

thanks HEAPS INSOMNIAC. :D

despite what alot of people are saying macca has been playing very good{in 7's and trial game}

cronk 4/5.....thats very good news..hope he can dropkick too..just in case we are faced with another G.P and the kick needs to be taken right in front .and we dont have to realy on orford.

did king play mate?

thanks.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
storm007
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks for the report
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Yea.... Thanks for me also
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Great read Insomniac. :D
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hey guys!

Slight amendment to my report:
After checking my notes from the game (yes, I took a pen and paper!), it appears that Cooper Cronk was NOT the #4, but played at #6, which would mean that it was not Cronk that was doing the kicking (as reported on the Storm website), but was probably Dustin Cooper as reported on another site - if this is the case, then it was Dustin Cooper that was playing very well.

I was wondering why Cronk had been dropped to the Devils for this Saturday's game vs. Broncos if he was the one doing the kicking and playing so well.

Also, it was #17, not #14 that was showing impressive speed and carving Tweed up, so if anyone knows who played in the #17 jersey on the night, please let everyone know who this star was.
Fampa
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

This was the team that was supposed to play:

MELBOURNE STORM TEAM TO PLAY TWEED HEADS THIS SATURDAY AT BARTERCARD OVAL, NOOSA AT 7.30PM:

1. Robbie Ross
2. Michael Crockett
3. Billy Slater
4. Jake Webster
5. Dustin Cooper
6. Cooper Cronk
7. Andrew McFadden
8. Sione Finefeuiaki
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brett O’Farrell
11. Antonio Kaufusi
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Jeremy Smith

Subs:
14. Scott Hill
15. Rodney Howe
16. Adam Blair
17. Robert Tanielu
18. Steve Turner
19. Quentin Laulu-Togagae
20. Luke Dyer
21. Kirk Reynoldson

Now I know at the best of times that the team that is named is not really the team that runs out, but I don't think it would have been Tanielu that was showing the remarkable speed. Given that Billy Slater didn't end up playing indicates that there would have been a backline shuffle. It might have been Quentin, as I know he did score a try.

My understanding is that it was Cooper (Cronk that is) doing the goal kicking.
*Champagne football*
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

One quick photo to post from the night:
http://www.nrlcentral.com/graphics/phot ... lvstwd.jpg

I'll see if I can touch up the other photos and post them - most didn't turn out that well. :cry:

I'll be taking the camera again to Toowoomba on Saturday night - fingers crossed I get some better shots!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

hey good pic..what is the cup they have?{trophy}

will you be doing another EXCELLENT REPORT for tomorow's game?
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]